X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Remco Mini Monster Love

It wouldn't be Halloween without me extolling the sweet virtue of Remco Mini Monsters, a line I love collecting. Above is a snippet from a 1980 Toys R Us flyer that will appear on the site before Christmas some time.

For years, I've been trying to find these guys on Canadian issue cards because that's how I remember them as a kid. I've searched high and low for years and had given up hope but fate works in weird ways (more after the jump)

One day my friend Sean came by my office and noticed them, he said "Hey some guy came into my work with a couple of those and tried to sell them to me." Which is weird because (a) he's not really a collector and (b) his shop is a work shop, not a store of any kind.

Anyway, a quick email later and I found two Remco Monsters on Canadian cards after nearly a decade of looking.

Here is Frankenstein, my favourite monster which makes this score even better.

And here is the Phantom in his Canuck glory. Both of these have been "professionally" graded, which isn't my cup of tea, I like to touch my toys and eventually I shall remove these guys from their acrylic coffins.

I have no aspirations of ever finishing this set, although I plan on keeping my eye out, this is two more than I ever thought I'd find.

More fun with the Remco Mini Monsters

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Those are pretty detailed for being so small.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
      Career Member
      • Sep 5, 2005

Two of the Irwin cards I don't have! I almost got a Phantom a few years ago, from Japan of all places! I've yet to ever see a Mummy (after about a decade of looking) but I still keep my eyes open. The really interesting/odd thing about these is that they are the glow in the dark release, but the only indication is the small blurb on the card.

The American versions had the card art revised twice, first with a bright badge and then to also include a 'glow' explosion behind the figure. I bet that drove the original project designer nuts to just have that slapped on there.

What did the grading company list these as for their titles? I can make out Irwin Univ. Monsters and Glow In The Dark on the Phantom. Does the company keep a survey of what they've graded like CGC?

Great stuff to see, thanks as always.

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
        Career Member
        • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by HardyGirl
        Those are pretty detailed for being so small.
        Yes they are, aren't they? Part of what I love about 'em. Rumour has it that the same fellow who sculpted a number of 3 & 3/4 Mego figures (Star Trek TMP aliens http://www.megomuseum.com/startrek/k...prototype.html ) did these: Bill Lemon (sometimes seen as Lemmon, I know of no determinative source).

If true, that would be pretty amazing, as he's responsible for sculpting the majority of the Aurora Models Monster kits - arguably the lead up to action figures of the same!

Comment

• shellhead
          museum rustpot
          • Mar 1, 2007

I've got them all loose, plus the play case.
          They're proudly displayed right now for Halloween.
          I love these little guys!
          Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

Both sets?

CCC.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Congrats on the carded find! Sometimes stuff just drops in our laps.

I guess the Wolfman's card photo came from A&C Meet Frankenstein? I always thought he looked weird there, and his makeup is definitely different in that movie.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• gaga4toyz
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 10, 2004

Has any one seen the glow in the dark mini playset/carry case? A friend of mine swears he has one.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Congrats on the find. I didn't know that Irwin put these out in Canada. Did they release both versions up here or just the glow ones?

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                    Congrats on the find. I didn't know that Irwin put these out in Canada. Did they release both versions up here or just the glow ones?
                    As far as I remember, just this series. I remember them in Eatons and Simpsons.

In fact, the Yorkdale Simpson's had them until about 1990 because they were really high priced. Wish I'd grabbed them then.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                      Career Member
                      • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by gaga4toyz
                      Has any one seen the glow in the dark mini playset/carry case? A friend of mine swears he has one.
                      One marked Irwin? I've never seen one, and I've looked for a decade for it too, but that doesn't mean there's not one. Remco definitely produced a second one with a graphic advertising GID on the front and inclusive of glow in the dark stickers.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                        Two of the Irwin cards I don't have!
                        Just reread this, does this mean there are Irwin cards you do have Shannon?
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Ooh, I loved these--wish I still had them :-(
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Jshack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 25, 2011

I have a loose wolfman floating around...they are really cool. Congrats on the find! And they are fun to play with...
                            "To suggest that we can learn anything about the simian nature from a study of man is sheer nonsense."

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                              Career Member
                              • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Just reread this, does this mean there are Irwin cards you do have Shannon?
                              Indeed I do. Good ole' Gill (of course!) and the Wolf Man. Cards aren't perfect (and I'd love to get cases like yours to put 'em but have zero interest in grading in to be honest). They pop up now and again on ebay, but it's been a long time since I've seen any and most collectors don't seem too interested beyond the basic price for a Remco only one. Thankfully!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎