Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toyman_Chris
    70's Era Pimp
    • Sep 7, 2011

The Exorcist scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. I watched the special edition with some added scenes, in the theater a few years back. Wow! Scared the hell out of me again. Something about those types of movies that either scare me or bore me. Demonic/Religious movies are either good or really suck for me.

Amityville Horror was scarier for me, however. Exorcist a close second. Love the Omen series.

Comment

• megoapesnut
      The name says it all!
      • Dec 3, 2007

The Omen was probably the scariest movie I ever watched. The creepiest movie was John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. And what made it creepy was the ending, I got chills at that ending like I have NEVER had before.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Just tried watching the Exorcist last night on BBC America

I can't believe how scared I used to be of it

Today I feel absolutely nothing.

I want to recapture the FUN of watching a scary movie but I can't

Today i'm like an unfeeling zombie

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

^^ Yeah, me too. Still a really well done movie though, no?

Comment

• TomStrong
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2011

That's the scariest freakin movie ever! In my opinion of all time, still can't watch it again.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

My wife won't let me play it while she's at home. She gets so upset by it, that she feels it invites the wrong mood into the home. Of course she has no problem watching old 70's footage of Gene Simmons spewing blood in his demonic persona, so go figure. I guess the film just touches some people too closely with their personal belief system. I can separate the two without feeling that simply watching it somehow invites bad elements into my life. It's a movie that toys perhaps too closely with the faith of some to take it as entertainment. I see it as a good movie with a good cast. Nothing more.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

I used to be a lot more religous when i was younger

Maybe that's why the devil actually scared me

today i'm like meh to just about everything - god or devil

kinda ruined being able to enjoy a good devil movie

Comment

• Den82
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 17, 2011

Scariest thing in Carrie was her mother. I know of some people who were only frighten by her and nothing else.

All of the ones that scared me the most as a kid are the ones I consider the best today.

Exorcist
                  Texas Chainsaw Massacre (even part 2 which is a total joke to me now)
                  Hills Have Eyes

House on Haunted Hill scared me too. The old woman on the roller skates scared me so badly I got a rush of adrenaline and actually jumped so high I hit my head on the ceiling. Texas Chainsaw Massacre made me sleep have to sleep with a light on for years after. I've now watched it at least once a year for the past 15.

Today though I do not like the Exorcist nearly as much as I did when I was a kid. It's written from such a simple minded Catholic viewpoint on things like that. I came to this conclusion especially after seeing Omen III. But still Blatty was a good enough writer to add a lot of depth to the story with all the subplots. It's hardly even horror.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                    • Jan 22, 2008

I somehow didn't see The Exorcist until I was in my 20's. As a kid I thought the scariest movies were The Changeling, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Nightmare on Elm Street, Something Wicked This way Comes and a made for tv movie called Don't Go To Sleep.

Comment

• Bill
                      Parminant Memble
                      • Oct 20, 2002

The Exorcist is definitely in my top five of scary movies, I still love it. The weird thing about another favorite, when I saw Texas Chain Saw Massacre at thirteen it was scary, but not THAT scary. Again at age twenty-eight, it scared the crap outta me. I think the fact that most of the movie was filmed in daylight instead of all in the dark is also really creepy.
                      I was born in '72 so I can only imagine what something like The Exorcist must have been like for the time.

Comment

• Captain Awesome
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2012

Exorcist scared the beejezus outta me the first time I saw it when I was younger. Saw the extended cut in theaters as an adult...didn't bother me. NOW, the one scene in movies that will always stick with me and freaks me right the %$#@ out...the scene in Poltergiest when the little girl looks under the bed, then raises up and the clown is right behind her and grabs her.
                        Courage is being scared to death but saddlin' up anyway. - John Wayne

Comment

• Byrnes
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 19, 2011

Jaws. Not scariest, but that messes with a five year old who lived next to the beach.
                          WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• fallensaviour
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
                            The Rite was lame...LOL (my turn)...lol.

I'm talking about seeing it as a kid...yes...it scared me.

As an adult...please...of course not...lol.

You are telling me you saw it as a very young kid...and didn't get scared?

Come on now...

Just noticed this Hector sorry for the late reply.

I watched it when I was 10 and no it didn't scare me.....At all.
                            As previously mentioned by others,I was more freaked out by The amityville horror than The Lame-orcist.
                            Amityville Horror scared the crap out of me!!!
                            Following a close second was the Omen.
                            I also didn't like E.T(Boring)....LOL
                            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

There's a difference in something scaring you because something jumped out at you, and being disturbed about it while watching and even later. That to me to the "creepy" factor that a lot of current movies miss I think. Suspense is a huge thing, and today's SFX laden movies deny most of the audience the pleasure of suspense.

The Exorcist has good build up, and really goes beyond that and pays off big time I think.

From a suspense I think Paranormal Activity came the closest in the recent movies, low budget, shot while people were sleeping etc... Another one that wasn't exactly a Horror movie but lent itself to this type of "suspense" was Open Water. That was another lower budget flick and it really worked well I think. The Ring and the Japanese Ringu are interesting too...

I think the Bride of Frankenstein is pretty high on my list of scary movies. It's wonderfully made, and has amazing scenes that will always be great.

Around Halloween my son and daughter had some of their friends over and I popped in Salem's Lot for them to watch. Yes it was a made for TV special in the 70's, but I love it and again, suspense, decent effects and watching 14-15 year old boys squirming behind couch pillows was major entertainment, haha. The scene with the boys friend at the window, wow....

I also enjoy Poltergeist 1 and 2. 2 is mostly because of the Preacher, wow what a character actor they found when they hired that guy!

Here's Rotten Tomatoes top Horror picks.... http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides...es_2012_update
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

The scariest movies for me, are the one that are high on atmosphere and low on SPFX.

The original The Haunting, for example, is still scary and it shows you absolutely nothing. They remade it with many FX scenes...and it was hardly scary. It was "hey look at the CG ghost...so fake..."
                                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎