X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Son of Dracula with Chaney, Jr.

Yet another in my endless posts as I watch old Horror movies during Halloween season!

I watched this tonight with the boy. I have never really "watched" it before. We had it on last year as we carved pumpkins, but I couldn't really follow it.

I must say, I was pretty impressed with it. Aside from the fact that Chaney isn't very convincing as a Translyvanian count (much like he wasn't much of a Welsh nobleman), I thought he played a convincingly menacing role. Kind of like Michael Keaton playing Batman. The casting was way off, but it still somehow worked.

The storyline had some truly surprising twists. The fact that Katherine was playing Dracula just to get immortality for her and her lover was a pretty fresh take rather than the usual female victim angle. Heck, Dracula is really the victim here!

The effects were the best I've seen in any of the Universal Dracula movies. The mist transformations were particularly effective, especially for the time.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I've read how there is some debate whether Chaney is the same Dracula as Lugosi, or he is a descendant as a character suggests in the story. I guess you can look at it either way. But the title is pretty misleading.

Chris
    sigpic
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Yeah Chaney actually worked pretty well in that role. Honestly I think he would have been good in dramatic roles as well. It's really a shame he got type cast and never did much outside of the monsters.

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

Chaney Jr. gave a classic performance for the day as Lennie in "Of Mice and Men." The film's really dated, but his performance was so iconic that it was parodied by comics and cartoons of the day.

The Inner Sanctum series of films are without a doubt B movies, but they were pretty good for their day.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Lon Jr was a very good actor but he was woefully miscast as Dracula. He still does his best with a poor script and ends up being the best part of the movie.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Chaney Jr. gave a classic performance for the day as Lennie in "Of Mice and Men." The film's really dated, but his performance was so iconic that it was parodied by comics and cartoons of the day.
          I believe he played Lennie before The Wolf Man, correct? He probably should have resisted playing the other monsters after The Wolf Man. He made enough movies as Talbot alone to earn his place in the annals of monsterdom. Since he played ALL the classic Universal Monsters at one point, it's no wonder he was later typecast.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

What an odd coincidence to start a thread about that particular movie. Can't say anything more just yet, will tell you why soon
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I have a lot of pathos for the man, he was talented in his own right but from what I understand, forced into the monster movies. He made one role his own and the rest are kind of fun, especially Kharis.

I find he looks particularly goofy as the Count, not really his fault though.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• HumanWolfman
                Type3Toys Has Transformed
                • Oct 5, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
                Lon Jr was a very good actor but he was woefully miscast as Dracula. He still does his best with a poor script and ends up being the best part of the movie.
                I totally disagree wih you. Chaney was far better as the Count than Carridine was. Chaney was powerful, confident and scary in Son Of Dracula. I loved the Gypsy Queen Zimba and her vision when she said "I see you marring a corpse". I would have loved to see Chaney more in this roll.
                View My Customs
                www.type3toys.com
                or check here
                http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ He was ok, and not all that scary, especially when he starts freaking out when his coffin is on fire.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
                    Verbose Member
                    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Meule
                    What an odd coincidence to start a thread about that particular movie. Can't say anything more just yet, will tell you why soon
                    And this is why. It's Kyrian's birthday next wednesday and I asked Rik (Gorn Captain) to customize the Son of Dracula movie poster and turn it into an invitation to Kyrian's birthday party. He did an awesome job on it, leaving some space in the bottom left corner for me to add the "screening" info on when and where the party will be.

With Son of Frankenstein, Son of Dr. Jekyll and Young Frankenstein we're set for the next couple of years as well
                    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

And the Dracula costume Kyrian is wearing in the poster is the actual costume I won for him on eBay
                      eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Comment

• Goblin19
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 2, 2002

Yeah, Chaney, Jr. isn't a particularly good count. The movie is decent, otherwise. I think I like him slightly better than John Carradine, though.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Meule
                          And this is why. It's Kyrian's birthday next wednesday and I asked Rik (Gorn Captain) to customize the Son of Dracula movie poster and turn it into an invitation to Kyrian's birthday party. He did an awesome job on it, leaving some space in the bottom left corner for me to add the "screening" info on when and where the party will be.

With Son of Frankenstein, Son of Dr. Jekyll and Young Frankenstein we're set for the next couple of years as well
                          Don't forget Son of Godzilla
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

Me as a giant lizard? Yeah, that'll look great
                            Batman and Robin is another option tho

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎