Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figuremod73
    That 80's guy
    • Jul 27, 2011

didnt know Jackson was so critical of the 70s version. sorry but i was bored with most of his take on the big ape. the remake of mighty joe young was much better to me

Comment

• kennermike
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by Figuremod73
      didnt know Jackson was so critical of the 70s version. sorry but i was bored with most of his take on the big ape. the remake of mighty joe young was much better to me
      yes he was and it was in bad taste and not very professional!

Comment

• mego73
        Printed paperboard Tiger
        • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by The Toyroom
        1933, 1976 or 2005?

I think I'm partial to the chessiness of '76
        All three for me! But the '33 wins if I had to choose.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• mego73
          Printed paperboard Tiger
          • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by Figuremod73
          I have never heard Jackson be critical of '76. I have heard him say he tried, with his movie to combine homages of the best of the '33 and '76 versions. I happen to like Jackson's version a lot, although '33 is the king. I have all three on blu ray (which for the 1976 one, was a neat trick and thanks to someone pointing out a USA usable import on this list for a good price)

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Figuremod73
            That 80's guy
            • Jul 27, 2011

i just think the movie was way to long with alot of stuff that didnt need to be in it

Comment

• HumanWolfman
              Type3Toys Has Transformed
              • Oct 5, 2011

Originally posted by Mikey
              Did I read you right saying Fay Wray was ugly ?

I think you need glasses

Preserving Mego history today, making Mego history tomorrow.

m
              Not only hot but a smoking body to!
              View My Customs
              www.type3toys.com
              or check here
              http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by MIB41
                Hands down, 1976. The basic concept is far fetched any way you slice it. So, in my eyes, it needed some style to give the story some kick. The 1933 version is cool for it's day with regards to the stop motion animation. But by every standard, even for the 30's, the acting is horrid. The dialogue is horrid. Laughable actually. The 1976 nails it just right. The dialogue is humorous where it should be and applies emotion when needed. BUT it never takes itself too seriously. See that's the problem with the other two films. When they try and give the treatment this Shakespearean irony, the concept collapses and then becomes true camp. It's a giant animal that falls for a blonde. The idea of "Beauty killed the beast" carries with it many levels of meaning, but they don't all apply to the story of King Kong.

'76 Kong's approach to the sacrificial throne is still dramatic. The entrance for the 1933 and Jackson remake? Yawners. The girls - Fay Wray (ugly). Naomi Watts is pretty, but she's easily second place to Jessica Lange. Who wouldn't go ape over that body? The soundtracks - Sorry but John Barry is King of the Kong soundtracks. Nobody touches his memorable scores. His contributions lent so much to the mood of the '76 version.

The apes - The 1933 version barely resembles anything having to do with an ape. He's a hybrid of something else. And from that perspective, I agree with the interpretation. Kong is not just a big monkey. He's an entirely different breed which lends it's own mystique. The '76 version takes that to the next level and gives the ape more human qualities. And BTW, the arms were meant to be that length. That was not an oversight. Kong was purposely created to be part ape, part humanoid. I understood that as a kid, my kids understood it when they saw it. But there are still a few 'critics' who simply don't "get it". The Jackson Kong is so ape-like he's without mystique. He's just a big ape. Well you lose something in that translation. He still needs to have that rare, old-world, look to him that both the '33 and '76 captured. The Jackson Kong just comes across as a mountain gorilla on steroids.

And one final comment - I quietly laughed at Jackson after seeing his film, because he was such a tasteless critic of the '76 remake. He went out of his way to attack the makers and cast of that film, which I thought was in bad form since they are his professional peers. He bowed at the throne of the '33 version and figuratively speaking, sucked it's arse. Unfortunately when it came to the approach of Kong he borrowed DIRECTLY from the '76 version. All of the humanistic qualities of Kong and his interaction with Naomi Watts was a direct steal from the '76 story. Those aspects were NOT in the '33 version. Fay Wray never bonded with Kong on any level. And she only felt pity for him after death, the way you would feel if you saw a dog on the side of the road. The '76 Kong attempted to reevaluate that relationship and make it more meaningful. The Jackson Kong followed in lockstep. So much for Jackson's criticisms. Hypocritical b*stard.
                Hell yeah!
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• mirrorman
                  On Patrol
                  • Jul 18, 2011

1933 version ... then Mighty Joe Young (1949).

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                    Did I read you right saying Fay Wray was ugly ?

I think you need glasses

Preserving Mego history today, making Mego history tomorrow.

m
                    My vision is just fine...like this photo. No contest. Fay is not even in Jessica's zip code.

Comment

• mego73
                      Printed paperboard Tiger
                      • Aug 1, 2003

My vision is just fine...like this photo. No contest. Fay is not even in Jessica's zip code.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...4/KongLang.jpg

Oh for pete's sake you two! All the Kong chicks were hot. I'm partial to Fay Wray myself.

I always have to remember a snarky review for King Kong '76 that referred to Jessica Lange as "former and future model" trying to imply she would never make it as an actress.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by mego73
                        Oh for pete's sake you two! All the Kong chicks were hot. I'm partial to Fay Wray myself.

I always have to remember a snarky review for King Kong '76 that referred to Jessica Lange as "former and future model" trying to imply she would never make it as an actress.
                        Uhm... Jessica Lange has done real well for herself.

Comment

• kennermike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 4, 2007

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...4/KongLang.jpg
                          Im in your corner Tom on this one!

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Both women were cinematic goddesses, each in their own (polarizing) eras.

Would it be fair to say that a preference for Jessica may be rooted in the fact that when seen on the big screen for the first time we were hormone raging err...impressionable young teens? Whereas our first images of Fay Wray were witnessed way back in our youth when girls still had cooties and young women were Moms? Just a thought.

As for Jessica today...she is absolutely THE highlight of American Horror Story. (Wednesdays, 10PM, On FX - ).

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Wow, she got old !!!

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Uhm... She's 62 years old fellas. When and if either of you make it to that stage, let's see how good you look. We're talking about these ladies in their prime during their respective Kong projects.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎