1933 is by far the best
    1970s version is ok
    2005 looks good but seems uninspired

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I like the original best. The recent one was okay, but it was a zillion hours long, and didn't have nearly enough weird monsters for me. (Plus, the car chase bothered me.) The 70's one is a toughie for me. It's SOOOOOOO bad, ('specially compared to the awesome production sketches for it) but it's pretty entertaining.

Don C.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by wolfie
        1933, 2005, .................................................. ............1976.
        Agreed 100%.

Jackson' 2005 version is not perfect...but at least the gorilla...aside from its size...is anatomically correct...with proper gorilla length arms.

The 1976 Kong has the shortest arms in the history of gorrilladome...

sigpic

Comment

• torgospizza
          Theocrat of Pan Tang
          • Aug 19, 2010

1933, but 2005 would have done a lot better with me if it wasn't so slow-moving at the beginning. We should've gotten more Kong and less Jack Black.

Comment

• hawkmike
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 15, 2003

love the 32,but always loved mechakong in the 60's
            wanted mego arch reactor

Comment

• HumanWolfman
              Type3Toys Has Transformed
              • Oct 5, 2011

Originally posted by torgospizza
              1933, but 2005 would have done a lot better with me if it wasn't so slow-moving at the beginning. We should've gotten more Kong and less Jack Black.
              Not only that, but I did not like the way Black's Denham was written. In the 2005 version, Carl Denham was written to be a bumbbling idiot. In the 1933 Denham was a take charge, get stuff done kind of tough guy.
              Peter Jackson himself is a huge fan of the 33 version. What I would like to have seen was Jackson use the exact same script as Cooper, then we would have really had something!
              Last edited by HumanWolfman; Oct 9, '11, 8:42 AM.
              View My Customs
              www.type3toys.com
              or check here
              http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• babycyclops
                Career Member
                • Jul 9, 2010

1933 all the way.

You can watch the whole movie in that time that you are still waiting to SEE Kong in the 2005 film.
                I would like to re-watch the 1976 film, though. I haven't seen it since.... 1976!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

The 1933 original will always be my favourite, and it's also one of my all time favourite movies, period.

I also have a great fondness for the 1976 version. I'll always like that movie.

And I also like the 2005 version, largely because it was obviously crafted by Jackson with a deep reverence for the original.
                  Last edited by Bruce Banner; Oct 9, '11, 9:46 AM.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Hands down, 1976. The basic concept is far fetched any way you slice it. So, in my eyes, it needed some style to give the story some kick. The 1933 version is cool for it's day with regards to the stop motion animation. But by every standard, even for the 30's, the acting is horrid. The dialogue is horrid. Laughable actually. The 1976 nails it just right. The dialogue is humorous where it should be and applies emotion when needed. BUT it never takes itself too seriously. See that's the problem with the other two films. When they try and give the treatment this Shakespearean irony, the concept collapses and then becomes true camp. It's a giant animal that falls for a blonde. The idea of "Beauty killed the beast" carries with it many levels of meaning, but they don't all apply to the story of King Kong.

'76 Kong's approach to the sacrificial throne is still dramatic. The entrance for the 1933 and Jackson remake? Yawners. The girls - Fay Wray (ugly). Naomi Watts is pretty, but she's easily second place to Jessica Lange. Who wouldn't go ape over that body? The soundtracks - Sorry but John Barry is King of the Kong soundtracks. Nobody touches his memorable scores. His contributions lent so much to the mood of the '76 version.

The apes - The 1933 version barely resembles anything having to do with an ape. He's a hybrid of something else. And from that perspective, I agree with the interpretation. Kong is not just a big monkey. He's an entirely different breed which lends it's own mystique. The '76 version takes that to the next level and gives the ape more human qualities. And BTW, the arms were meant to be that length. That was not an oversight. Kong was purposely created to be part ape, part humanoid. I understood that as a kid, my kids understood it when they saw it. But there are still a few 'critics' who simply don't "get it". The Jackson Kong is so ape-like he's without mystique. He's just a big ape. Well you lose something in that translation. He still needs to have that rare, old-world, look to him that both the '33 and '76 captured. The Jackson Kong just comes across as a mountain gorilla on steroids.

And one final comment - I quietly laughed at Jackson after seeing his film, because he was such a tasteless critic of the '76 remake. He went out of his way to attack the makers and cast of that film, which I thought was in bad form since they are his professional peers. He bowed at the throne of the '33 version and figuratively speaking, sucked it's arse. Unfortunately when it came to the approach of Kong he borrowed DIRECTLY from the '76 version. All of the humanistic qualities of Kong and his interaction with Naomi Watts was a direct steal from the '76 story. Those aspects were NOT in the '33 version. Fay Wray never bonded with Kong on any level. And she only felt pity for him after death, the way you would feel if you saw a dog on the side of the road. The '76 Kong attempted to reevaluate that relationship and make it more meaningful. The Jackson Kong followed in lockstep. So much for Jackson's criticisms. Hypocritical b*stard.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

1933 and not even close, though I do like the 2005 version quite a bit.

Comment

• kennermike
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                        Hands down, 1976. The basic concept is far fetched any way you slice it. So, in my eyes, it needed some style to give the story some kick. The 1933 version is cool for it's day with regards to the stop motion animation. But by every standard, even for the 30's, the acting is horrid. The dialogue is horrid. Laughable actually. The 1976 nails it just right. The dialogue is humorous where it should be and applies emotion when needed. BUT it never takes itself too seriously. See that's the problem with the other two films. When they try and give the treatment this Shakespearean irony, the concept collapses and then becomes true camp. It's a giant animal that falls for a blonde. The idea of "Beauty killed the beast" carries with it many levels of meaning, but they don't all apply to the story of King Kong.

'76 Kong's approach to the sacrificial throne is still dramatic. The entrance for the 1933 and Jackson remake? Yawners. The girls - Fay Wray (ugly). Naomi Watts is pretty, but she's easily second place to Jessica Lange. Who wouldn't go ape over that body? The soundtracks - Sorry but John Barry is King of the Kong soundtracks. Nobody touches his memorable scores. His contributions lent so much to the mood of the '76 version.

The apes - The 1933 version barely resembles anything having to do with an ape. He's a hybrid of something else. And from that perspective, I agree with the interpretation. Kong is not just a big monkey. He's an entirely different breed which lends it's own mystique. The '76 version takes that to the next level and gives the ape more human qualities. And BTW, the arms were meant to be that length. That was not an oversight. Kong was purposely created to be part ape, part humanoid. I understood that as a kid, my kids understood it when they saw it. But there are still a few 'critics' who simply don't "get it". The Jackson Kong is so ape-like he's without mystique. He's just a big ape. Well you lose something in that translation. He still needs to have that rare, old-world, look to him that both the '33 and '76 captured. The Jackson Kong just comes across as a mountain gorilla on steroids.

And one final comment - I quietly laughed at Jackson after seeing his film, because he was such a tasteless critic of the '76 remake. He went out of his way to attack the makers and cast of that film, which I thought was in bad form since they are his professional peers. He bowed at the throne of the '33 version and figuratively speaking, sucked it's arse. Unfortunately when it came to the approach of Kong he borrowed DIRECTLY from the '76 version. All of the humanistic qualities of Kong and his interaction with Naomi Watts was a direct steal from the '76 story. Those aspects were NOT in the '33 version. Fay Wray never bonded with Kong on any level. And she only felt pity for him after death, the way you would feel if you saw a dog on the side of the road. The '76 Kong attempted to reevaluate that relationship and make it more meaningful. The Jackson Kong followed in lockstep. So much for Jackson's criticisms. Hypocritical b*stard.
                        Tom I could shake your hand ! your the man! on the money!

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Amen brotha!

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

33, because of the stop motion
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41
                              The girls - Fay Wray (ugly). Naomi Watts is pretty, but she's easily second place to Jessica Lange. :
                              Did I read you right saying Fay Wray was ugly ?

I think you need glasses

m
                              Last edited by Mikey; Oct 10, '11, 4:03 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                                Creature Of The Night
                                • May 14, 2011

1971 (Kitten Kong - The Goodies)
                                2005 (minus Jack Black, minus the Ice Capades scene)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎