X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason73
    Correctamundo!
    • Jan 11, 2009

Fonzie's Jacket Removed from Smithsonian

Last week my Wife and I took a trip to Washington D.C. I was super excited to go to the Smithsonian museum to finally see the Fonz's famous leather jacket. Anyone who knows me knows that Happy Days is my religion. We went to the pop culture section in the museum and looked everywhere for the jacket. Lots of cool things but no jacket. So, we went to the information booth and asked "were is the Fonz's jacket?". The lady at the desk got this very sad look on her face. She informed me that it had been switched out with Farrah Fawcett's bathing suit.
    Happy Days-Mego Style
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

What a disappointing experience!

Seems to me there's enough room in that case for all 4 articles, simply a matter of organization? Poster of Fonz on the left, skateboard centered & straight up on the wall, displayed jacket in front of the Fonz poster (positioned at an angle to the left), swimsuit over to the right (at a complimentary angle), and the guitar centered.

Comment

• Adam West
      Museum CPA
      • Apr 14, 2003

That stinks. I live in the D.C. area and always enjoyed the pop culture section including Fonz's jacket and Mr. Roger's red sweater (I assume that it is still there?).

So the case has Farrah Fawcett's bathing suit, I presume one of Eddie Van Halen's (Frankenstein Guitars....I know more than one exists) and a Tony Hawk Skateboard (I can't think of anyone else who goes hand in hand with skateboards)? That display sucks. I think Fonze's jacket was in a case all by itself and didn't need other items surrounding it to draw attention. I also presume it was on loan. There is a vintage metal lunchbox collection in the pop culture section down by the cafeteria and although cool boxes....poor condition. I own most of the boxes displayed in better condition and actually called the Smithsonian to loan my collection for display. They told me they didn't want it unless I was willing to donate it. I guess if you are a celebrity, you can loan it, otherwise you have to donate it. It would be really cool if they did a G.I. Joe, Barbie, Mego, type display and I'm sure that the best collections are sitting in a personal collection but they won't display it unless you are willing to donate.....really sad in my opinion
      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

What? Is the Smithsonian so small they don't have room for both? AAAYYY! *thumbs down*
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I lost all respect for the Smithsonian when they took down the USS Enterprise, repainted it unrealistically and hid it in the basement giftshop dark corner.

BTW, one thing that makes me laugh

That Farrah poster is in a super cheap Walmart poster frame
          Last edited by Mikey; Sep 24, '11, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Fonzie jacket? Very cool.

Farrah's one piece bikini? SUPER HOT!

sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
              Museum CPA
              • Apr 14, 2003

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather look at Fonzie's leather jacket over Farrah's one piece any day.
              "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
              ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

That Farrah poster was on my wall all through the 70s...and well into the 80s...

sigpic

Comment

• Jason73
                  Correctamundo!
                  • Jan 11, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
                  I lost all respect for the Smithsonian when they took down the USS Enterprise, repainted it unrealistically and hid it in the basement giftshop dark corner.
                  I saw that too.

Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• SeattleEd
                    SynthoRes Transmigrator
                    • Oct 24, 2007

Well at least they DIDN'T put out Fonzi's light blue and tan windbreaker.
                    Though that EVH geetar is sure sweet!
                    Last edited by SeattleEd; Sep 24, '11, 2:41 PM.

Comment

• kennermike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by Jason73
                      Last week my Wife and I took a trip to Washington D.C. I was super excited to go to the Smithsonian museum to finally see the Fonz's famous leather jacket. Anyone who knows me knows that Happy Days is my religion. We went to the pop culture section in the museum and looked everywhere for the jacket. Lots of cool things but no jacket. So, we went to the information booth and asked "were is the Fonz's jacket?". The lady at the desk got this very sad look on her face. She informed me that it had been switched out with Farrah Fawcett's bathing suit.
                      http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/r...ndo/FARRAH.jpg
                      That Jacket needs to be at your house Jason!

Comment

• SeattleEd
                        SynthoRes Transmigrator
                        • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by kennermike
                        That Jacket needs to be at your house Jason!
                        More like wearing it, everyday. Even on these hot summer days. Just the jacket, now shirt and shorts with black leather motorcycle boots.

Comment

• kennermike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by ealdrett
                          More like wearing it, everyday. Even on these hot summer days. Just the jacket, now shirt and shorts with black leather motorcycle boots.
                          you mean no shirt no pants and only white socks and jacket LOL

Comment

• torgospizza
                            Theocrat of Pan Tang
                            • Aug 19, 2010

I'd think Tony Hawk's skateboard would belong in a section devoted to the 80s.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Forget that fake Enterprise.

If I ever go to the Smithsonian...the only Enterprise I want to see is this one...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎