X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

The StarLost?

Anybody remember this show? It was supposed to be a huge budget NBC series but backing fell out and it became a cheap shot on video series in Canada.

Harlan Ellison disowned it but it still retained some elements of good sf despite it's short comings. Because of Can Con laws (meaning you have to play a certain amount of Canadian programming in a day to keep your broadcast license) I think I've seen every episode ten times.

Keir Dulleau was kind enough to tell me all about what happened with the series a couple of years back, he seemed to be in good spirits about the whole thing.

Opening credits to a TV movie made from two shows:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Many Genre veterans and soon to be veterans like Barry Morse and Walter Koenig guest starred:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Believe it or not in the 80's I could trade the guy who ran Star Tech one episode of StarLost for three episodes of anything I wanted.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • BubbleGumFink
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jun 16, 2006

I vaguely remember this series. I seem to recall the special effects made Doctor Who look like the Matrix. I also remember the men had long beards and stuff and Walter Koenig guested on it. That's about it.

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

Not only do I remember it, I was a fan of the goofy thing. I fondly remember sitting every Friday evening with my glass of chocolate milk in hand, waiting for Garth to smash somebody! It came on just after Swiss Family Robinson....although "when Things Were Rotten" briefly ran before it too.

I even got up early Sunday mornings to watch the reruns. Really!...Never thought the show was that bad. if it had a budget, it might have really gone somewhere, and the premise was strong enough that it would be a good source for a modern remake!
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

This is one of those shows that I know by reputation only. I've read about it, and I even have a novel that's a parody of it, but I've never actually seen any of it.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

I seem to recall the special effects made Doctor Who look like the Matrix
          Yeah, that's the sad thing about this show, Douglas Trumball had this new process all ready to go for the show but when he ran, they switched to good old weatherman chroma key! There were some nice early Trumball effects of the ship itself but they were fleeting.

Never thought the show was that bad. if it had a budget, it might have really gone somewhere, and the premise was strong enough that it would be a good source for a modern remake!
          Yep, a bigger budget and some better pacing (at least I found the characters stood around a lot) would have made a world of difference. I hear Ellison's original treatment was bought eight years ago by David Goyer.

I even have a novel that's a parody of it
          Is the Starcrossed any good? I used to have Phoenix from the Ashes which had rants about the show from Ellison, it was insightful.

Comment

• ABMAC
            User
            • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
            Is the Starcrossed any good? I used to have Phoenix from the Ashes which had rants about the show from Ellison, it was insightful.
            I enjoyed it, but a lot of the humour was wasted on me. Imagine watching Spaceballs without ever having seen Star Wars.

Comment

• Godzilla
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 3, 2002

I remember watching it as a kid and thinking huh?

Ben Bova's fictionalized book about Elison and the making of it is a good read too.
              Mortui Vivos Docent
              The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

Due to the extensive use of Chroma Key in the show I often thought it was from the creators of Land of the Lost.

There was a time in the 80's where they paired episodes together and syndicated them as 2 hour specials.

I recall seeing the 2nd Episode Koening guested on, an episode with where bee's infested people's bodies and a space ambulance that serveiced the ship but could not correct the course of the ship. The big problem in the show was the ship was off course and they had to get it back on course.

I have 2/3's of an episode with an evil supercomputer and some hot chick wearing silver. I would have to dig it out to see how much I saved.

Brian you know just about everbody!!!! Keir Dullea, The owner of Star Tech. Damn!

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by johnmiic
                  Due to the extensive use of Chroma Key in the show I often thought it was from the creators of Land of the Lost.
                  Ha!

There was a time in the 80's where they paired episodes together and syndicated them as 2 hour specials.
                  Those still show up here.

Brian you know just about everbody!!!! Keir Dullea, The owner of Star Tech. Damn!
                  I don't know Dullea, I just bugged him at a con, he's just a very nice guy who really likes talking about his time in Canada. As for Bill Anchors, yeah he was very good to me.

Comment

• johnmiic
                    Adrift
                    • Sep 6, 2002

Bill Anchors, that's the guy! If I remember correctly he had to give up Star Tech because his son had cancer? He was selling his stock on eBay for some time.

Star Tech is where I got nearly all my Doctor Who Magazines's, Doctor Who Bulletin's, ( now Dreamwatch), Future Life's and many a Starlog back issue on sale in the 80's. I used to be big on Intergalactic Trading Post but Star Tech seemed a better orgainization. Those were happy times.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by johnmiic
                      Bill Anchors, that's the guy! If I remember correctly he had to give up Star Tech because his son had cancer? He was selling his stock on eBay for some time.
                      I didn't know that, sad to hear. I'd love to touch base with him again, he was a very positive influence for me early on.

Star Tech is where I got nearly all my Doctor Who Magazines's, Doctor Who Bulletin's, ( now Dreamwatch), Future Life's and many a Starlog back issue on sale in the 80's. I used to be big on Intergalactic Trading Post but Star Tech seemed a better orgainization. Those were happy times.

If i remember correctly I bought a lot of Who merch from him and then segwayed into fanderson stuff. The thing I remember best were the tapes from him, getting a package from Bill mean hours of "lost" shows like Logan's Run, UFO, Fireball X-L5 and Space:1999.

I have better DVDs of all these shows but I cannot bring myself to throw out any of the 12th generation tapes I have from those days, they feel like an old friend.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎