X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by aquatroy
    Or, why couldn't it just be what Morrison said it was? Nothing more then a sound effect.

Come on guys. This controversy is much ado about nothing.
    Morrison used to always use `hh` in Justice League, took me a long time to figure out it wasn`t short form for anything.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Given Morrison's tendency to seed in these kind of Easter Eggs, I'd buy Mark Waid's suggestion....
      And Finally When Superman Wanted You To Look For GD Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

While former partner/protoge Mark Millar is known for juvenile antics calling characters "CLINT FLICKER", GD as Morrison's attempt to sneak in profanity doesn't really ring as true... This is a guy who's had lots's of opportunity to use swears in Vertigo and tends not to more often than does. He's hardly Garth Ennis in that respect.

He'd be much more clever and be much more subversive or evocative if it was the case... Morrison likes to be clever in hs crudeness.
      Last edited by samurainoir; Sep 10, '11, 11:14 PM.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

From a personal stand point I think the New DC 52 has hurt the business of my LCS...They were admittedly VERY hesistant in bumping up orders on untested product. They were practically begging everyone to sign up sight-unseen for titles because they felt they had no idea how to gauge what to order.

So the result has been I have walked out two weeks in a row without buying any books...period. I always go on Saturday...the first week they had one issue of Justice League #1 left and a customer 2 steps ahead of me beat me to it. They had TONS of the free "New DC 52" primer though.

Yesterday I went and there was one issue of Batwing #1 left. And again, TONS of the primers. And I was not the only one who walked out empty handed this week. A few people asked where all of the new issues were and they were told they did not order enough of anything to meet the demand.

Now I was not willing to sign up, as I was skeptical and I've always needed to flip through the issue before buying. Even with titles I buy month after month. I've never used a pull list. Maybe it's just my LCS f'in things up (they've never really been on top of things), but I think DC did the comic shops a major disservice by not getting more info out there to help them order appropriately. There should have been previews for all the books in the line...Not just the ones they you knew would sell well right out of the gate (Action, JLA, Superman, GL).

So I've resorted to ordering on-line from Midtown Comics...Unfortunately it's again sight-unseen so I'm ordering stuff I was more than likely to try anyway.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          Now I was not willing to sign up, as I was skeptical and I've always needed to flip through the issue before buying. Even with titles I buy month after month. I've never used a pull list.
          I've been buying comics for thirty some-odd years and have never used a pull list a day in my life, either. I just go in and if they have what I want, I get it. If they don't I either find it somewhere else (we have several comics shops around, some better than others), or I don't worry about it.

I didn't get a copy of JL #1, but I'm not too concerned because I understand it was all pretty pictures and very little content.

I snagged BATGIRL #1 only because I'm a big Batgirl fan and the Adam Hughes cover was nice and I picked up SWAMP THING #1 because I've been a Swampy reader since the Wein/Wrightson days....
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

bought OMAC and Frankenstein at Comixology both good reads, I might trade wait for the rest as digital comics viewing sucks, but I had to try it.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Clearly the debut of this experiment has been a massive success for DC. Now we have to see if if sticks after this initial push. I think the novelty of it pulled fans in. But ultimately you need the story and the artwork to keep bringing them back. It will be interesting to watch. Perhaps now is a good time to ask this - Of those who have bought all 52 issues... Will you repeat that purchase with the next issues or will your choices drop dramatically? Say instead of 52, maybe 20? Maybe 10? Maybe 5? I would be interested to hear the responses.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

What I've read so far:

Justice League #1, Batgirl #1, Detective Comics #1, Action Comics #1, Swamp Thing #1, Justice League International #1, Green Arrow #1

None of them have really hooked me in so far in the fact that I thought they were outstanding reads....interesting but nothing too spectacular

Comment

• Riffster
                  Atomic batteries to power
                  • Jun 29, 2008

I've bought them all, so far the titles that I'm unimpressed with is Hawk and dove, I love the characters but can't stand the art, Animal man was just too wierd for me, Sgt Rock was ok but I prefer the WW2 era.
                  Everything else i've liked enough for next issue
                  Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                  And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• MEMEGO
                    Career Member
                    • Sep 6, 2007

Frankenstein art was horrible, i am going to cancel it after issue 4.
                    Animal man was pure crap art wise will also cancel after issue 4, if not sooner.
                    ooks like its to the Batpoles for our Bat family. They have BAtpoles again, not sure if I like this.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Green Lantern #1 pretty much continues the current run, hopefully sans the ridiculous crossovers for a while. Those worried that Hal Jrdan isn't the centre of the title still can rest assured that it still is very much Hal's book.

Red Lanterns sparked my interest enough to see where it goes.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by MEMEGO
                        ooks like its to the Batpoles for our Bat family. They have BAtpoles again, not sure if I like this.
                        I don't mind that...It's about time super-hero comics were a little goofy fun instead of the dark heroics and angst all the time...

Comment

• aquatroy
                          Permanent Member
                          • Apr 28, 2002

Originally posted by MEMEGO
                          Frankenstein art was horrible, i am going to cancel it after issue 4.
                          Animal man was pure crap art wise will also cancel after issue 4, if not sooner.
                          I liked both of those books. I was surprised at how much I like Frankenstein. Haven't read Swamp thing yet, but I'm reading very good reviews from folks I respect.
                          Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Dug Frankie and the art of it a lot, can't wait for the Frankenstein/OMAC crossover, especially looking forward to the "Kirby-ized" Frankenstein.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• boynightwing
                              That Carl Guy
                              • Apr 24, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                              From a personal stand point I think the New DC 52 has hurt the business of my LCS....
                              Really? I walked in to mine the last two weeks and the place was PACKED! I was actually worried I wouldn't get my titles. I can't remember the last time I was worried about such a thing. But he knew what his regulars like and thus held stuff back for us. My brother hasn't bought a comic book since Spawn was popular (1997?) went on his birthday and came home with 4 comics.

Now, I'm not saying I'm endorsing the New 52...still not totally happy, but they did manage to get people in to the comic stores. The trick will be keeping them there.

This week I got Batwoman (which was obviously made before this New 52 thing but still awesome), Batman and Robin (I enjoyed it. Such a different dynamic between Bruce and Damian then Dick and Damian. Makes me wonder if we'll see the title Nightwing become Nightwing and Robin lol), Suicide Squad (meh), and Superboy (It was interesting and makes me want to read more). Oh and Green Lantern (I knew I was going to enjoy that).

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

Between the ridiculous amount of publicity the New 52 has received, both mainstream and within fandom (look at how much we've been talking about it), the favourable returns policy, reorder-ability by going back to press right away on the sold out overprint, and the variant incentive covers for retailers... if any comic store is NOT seeing a spike in sales this month, then they really should not be in business as comic retailers. Even one of the local comic shops here, know for being snooty and indie-oriented, took advantage of the midnight sales policy and extra publicity.

With this massive sampling size, it will be interesting to see if the product can hang onto the initial readership buying the first issues to try them out. It's also a bit of double dipping given that Ultimate Spider-man #1 is out this week as well... but we'll see how Marvel fares against this month's onslaught of new DC titles otherwise.

Just read Batman and Robin #1. I had my doubts about this given the fact that it's essentially pairing Bruce and Damian... which is pairing grim with grimmer compared to the contrast between Dick and Damian in the previous volume of this title. They seem to be trying to lighten up Bruce in contrast (he's done grieving for his parents on the anniversary of their deaths in crime alley), but it still might be too little in the way of contrast between them.

Demon Knights has an interesting enough start. Surprised they didn't name this Medievil Justice League. Like that they are using Morrison's revamped Shining Knight. I'll keep this going just to see where it goes. Although for a new start, it does pay a bit of unnecessary fanboy lipservice to tying the previous continuity together (ie how Shining Knight's Camelot was different from the Demon's, or even just flashing back to the Demon's origins).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎