Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to do the Dexter episode fest this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Going to do the Dexter episode fest this weekend.

I have yet to see one episode to date....I don't let my kids watch shows like these even though I have one who is 16 and he often stays up later than me.

My wife and part of my family is heading out of town to visit family so figured I could watch part of Season 1. I'm really not a big fan of horror type or slasher type movies but I have heard a lot of you say you enjoy it and my brother says I will like it.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Awesome, for me I felt like the third season was a bit of a lull, but the last two have been pretty solid.

Although Dexter really needs a big league antagonist which he hasn't really had since the first couple of seasons.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Adam West
      Museum CPA
      • Apr 14, 2003

Well I'm only on Season 1 and this is all new for me but enjoying it so far.
      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• johnnystorm
        Hot Child in the City
        • Jul 3, 2008

big fan of the show...I'm halfway through Season 4 and I see S5 has just come out. I made the mistake of getting my wife watching it and now she won't let me watch any without her. Which is kinda hard to do as can only watch when the kid goes to bed.

I've read all the Dexter books as well, really good stuff. Little different than the show of course, but I liked 'em. Sent one off through the mail and got it signed by the author Jeff Lindsay. Ditto sending cards to Michael C. Hall, signed ttm. Still looking for the action figures, and guess the 3 3/4" ones have come out now too. TRU won't carry them though, they pulled the original ones after some ****** complained about them.

Oh, and my new fave saying to my wife when she asks how my day at work was is " I'm taking the saran-wrap with me tomorrow!"

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Big fan...seen every single episode on Showtime...can't wait for the this coming sixth season.

Never watched the CBS repeats...didn't want too...they were butchered to death (no pun intended)...too much edited out stuff...lol.
          sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by johnnystorm
            big fan of the show...I'm halfway through Season 4 and I see S5 has just come out. I made the mistake of getting my wife watching it and now she won't let me watch any without her. Which is kinda hard to do as can only watch when the kid goes to bed.

I've read all the Dexter books as well, really good stuff. Little different than the show of course, but I liked 'em.
            I really enjoyed Julia styles (sp?) in season 5. She was terrific in this kind of spin on I Spit on Your Grave. Lithgow in season 4 was also a very worthy adversary for Dexter... And of course the heartbreaking twist.

What I do love about the 1st person Narration of the books is the fact that Dexter is basically allowed to remain emotionless and confused by the feelings that humanity around him expresses... You know that he is truly "acting" the part. Whereas TV Dexter has a great deal of ambiguity in his Pinocchio story... We the audience are left to wonder if the Dexter we are being presented with is the Dexter that manages to fool his friends and family with false humanity. And ultimately, are you defined by your actions or your feelings ( and lack thereof...) If you consistently act the part of loving husband and father, does that in fact make you a loving husband and father.

I love Robo-Doakes in the books and I'm utterly fascinated by the return of his brother.

The other thing that the TV show doesn't dare touch (and it's not surprising if they never go there given real life events) is the fact that Dexter is teaching the kid's Harry's rules for killing bad guys.
            Last edited by samurainoir; Sep 4, '11, 9:40 AM.

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

Also in the books, they play up the Dark Passenger more, it's actually pretty supernatural. And Cody & Astor both have their own, Cody moreso. Oh, and his brother is around in some of the later books. And you're right. I can't see them doing too much with teaching the kids to kill according to Harry's Code on TV. Even on Showtime.

And I agree, in the book you see more of how Dexter plays at being normal. On TV it doesn't always come through. It was more defined in Season One, but as it goes along he becomes more emotional (at the same time narrating how he is not).

I for one was glad to see Doakes gone from TV, I found him unbearable. But his fate in the books was chilling!

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by johnnystorm

I for one was glad to see Doakes gone from TV, I found him unbearable. But his fate in the books was chilling!
                I have to admit that I laughed out loud at the darker than dark humour of Doakes attempting to cuss out Dexter with his Speak and Spell device in the last book.

It's also suggested at Debra knows Dexter's secret in the books. I'm really hoping the TV series ultimately ends with Debra vs Dexter... That would really be quite explosive.
                Last edited by samurainoir; Sep 5, '11, 7:02 PM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

It should end with Debra vs Dexter. She has to take him down, and his son is left sitting next to his father's body in a pool of blood, just as Dexter himself was (with his mother)...
                  This should be the ideal starting point for Dexter, The Next Generation....
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• CaptainTrenchcoat
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 6, 2006

I never thought Dexter should die when they end the series. The one main rule is "don't get caught". If Deb took him down, then the whole series would be in vein. I could definitely see him in the "Harry" role though.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎