Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I think the cancellation has more to do with not ruffling the feathers of those within the industry who may feel differently. It's better to ride the wave than fight against the tide. Especially in this industry. I hate we don't get to have this one, but I understand the wisdom in that decision.

Comment

• SeattleEd
      SynthoRes Transmigrator
      • Oct 24, 2007

I like the head size in the second one since to me it appears to have more flow. The first one is a tad too big but then it fits in the classic Mego aesthetic.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Tim that head is awesome, but for some reason it looks like a zombie Tom Petty to me. Not that that is a bad thing. Petty is a bit creepy looking alive.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

I was thinking Iggy Pop with food poisoning myself. ^^

Looks great. I liked the necro one as well.

Comment

• timb
            Will Draw for Toys
            • May 1, 2009

Earth 2 Chris, you are the second person today to tell me he looks like a dug-up Tom Petty, LOL.

Comment

• AcroRay
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 17, 2005

I like Tim's second go.

I also like that it looks like Tom Petty! (He'd probably get a giggle out of it as well...)
              Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
              AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
              The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
              Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• tylerh
                Museum Patron
                • Sep 14, 2011

So by that rule, when the phantom has his mask ON, since you cant see Chaney's face - Then THAT is 100% public domain - But its only questionable when the mask is off?

Comment

• drmego
                  EMCE Toys
                  • Jun 15, 2001

Chaney created the make-up which includes the mask.
                  www.drmego.com
                  www.megoman.com
                  www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

As I understand it, and someone please correct if I am wrong, the Phantom of the Opera novel is in public domain and the 1925 movie is in public domain. But just the movie itself. Not the merchandising rights of the Universal Phantom character. Universal and the Chaney estate still own the rights to the likeness of Universal Phantom. Which includes the make-up, costume, mask and Chaney likeness.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

I really don't know what the facts of the matter are from Universal's perspective, BUT according to copyright law in the United States, IF the likeness rights of the Phantom resided with Lon Chaney Sr. and his estate, there is a 70 year copyright following his death in 1930. Which means that it would have entered public domain about a decade ago. So his make-up likeness was protected in all the previous products released by AHI/Remco etc back in the 60's, 70's and 80's.
                      It would still be copyright protected in other parts of the world however, that have different lengths of terms. There is certainly a great deal of precedence of the likeness being used domestically on DVD packaging for example.
                      Last edited by samurainoir; Sep 16, '11, 11:22 PM.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

Are you going to sell the outfit and body? I'd buy one and make my own Phantom. You have the basis of a great figure there. I'd hate to see it go to waste, especially, if it was in mid-production. Plus, I have a great idea for a Mad Monsters box.
                        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^I'd love to see your box idea!!!
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by drmego
                            Chaney created the make-up which includes the mask.
                            Really? Not being argumentative, but I'd like to see this documented--the mask could have just as easily been a product of the prop dept./costumer.

Of course, the film had a checkerd production history, with Chaney "stepping in" to "help" direct. He was a hands-on artist, so his designing the mask is plausible.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• timb
                              Will Draw for Toys
                              • May 1, 2009

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

Wow, that is cool--sort of ghoul-ish.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎