X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    does this mean someone in the business is planning a legit Chaney Phantom?
    Well Diamond does have the Universal Monster license... I guess we'll eventually see which ones they produce in Mego format. Chaney Phantom of the Opera would seem like a good bet, Creature, Bride of Frankenstein would pretty much fill out the classic line-up given what they have produced thus far.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Aug 30, '11, 9:05 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

Is the hunchback still on?

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
        Career Member
        • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by samurainoir
        Well Diamond does have the Universal Monster license... I guess we'll eventually see which ones they produce in Mego format. Chaney Phantom of the Opera would seem like a good bet, Creature, Bride of Frankenstein would pretty much fill out the classic line-up given what they have produced thus far.
        The 1925 Phantom of the Opera is in the public domain and has been for quite some time. The Chaney license is for Jr., who's publicity rights reside with his estate.

Comment

• Megazord Mike
          • Apr 22, 2010

Can't you rename him the Phantom of the Museum? Heh.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by gaga4toyz
            We've got plenty of other monsters we can work on.
            I'd still like to see the Werewolf you sculpted make it to mass production.
            sigpic

Comment

• David Lee
              The Fix-it-up Chappie
              • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
              The 1925 Phantom of the Opera is in the public domain and has been for quite some time. The Chaney license is for Jr., who's publicity rights reside with his estate.
              Right, it's not that the Phantom of the Opera is in question, that's fair game, it's the resemblance to Chaney in the sculpt that has some upset.

-Dave

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                Career Member
                • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by David Lee
                Right, it's not that the Phantom of the Opera is in question, that's fair game, it's the resemblance to Chaney in the sculpt that has some upset.

-Dave
                I thought Chaney Sr.'s likeness rights, as well as any rights he (or anyone incl. Universal) had in the make-up were also in the public domain. I'd have to look it up a little more and don't have time to review it at the moment. What's your knowledge on it?

Comment

• David Lee
                  The Fix-it-up Chappie
                  • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                  I thought Chaney Sr.'s likeness rights, as well as any rights he (or anyone incl. Universal) had in the make-up were also in the public domain. I'd have to look it up a little more and don't have time to review it at the moment. What's your knowledge on it?
                  I would tend to agree with you, but even though Universal might not have a solid claim on the movie and it's esthetic, since it lapsed into public Domain, I would bet Chaney's family might see it as inextricably linked to Chaney's likeness... that would be the sticking point.

Dave

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^ I'd be interested in learning about this as well, since the 1925 Phantom is still obviously Chaney Sr.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• David Lee
                      The Fix-it-up Chappie
                      • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      ^ I'd be interested in learning about this as well, since the 1925 Phantom is still obviously Chaney Sr.
                      Ok, the way I understand it is thus:

Since the movie (long after the book) has lapsed into public domain the idea and look of the Phantom are up for grabs, this is what is distinctive about the movie, as is calling him Erik or the Phantom of the Opera. However, it's clearly Lon Chaney Sr. in the movie and he has living relatives who lay claim to his likeness and money to be made off of it. The idea that it was too close to Chaney came not from his family, but others in the toy business...

Personally I think it's a tenuous claim at best. It's not an exact likeness and we were surely not going to say it was Lon Chaney Sr. but others feel differently and therefore it won't get made.

Dave
                      Last edited by David Lee; Aug 31, '11, 7:24 PM.

Comment

• timb
                        Will Draw for Toys
                        • May 1, 2009

shhhhh... don't tell anybody, but I think the figure was so cool, you should have someone sculpt a new head.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

McFarlane's unlicensed version, going another direction than Chaney.

Last edited by samurainoir; Aug 31, '11, 8:30 PM.

Comment

• drmego
                            EMCE Toys
                            • Jun 15, 2001

Chaney's family signed a deal with Universal that includes his likeness and
                            make-up creations - as Universal did with Karloff's family.
                            www.drmego.com
                            www.megoman.com
                            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• drmego
                              EMCE Toys
                              • Jun 15, 2001

I asked Joe - who is not only a HUGE monster fan but also worked
                              at Universal Studios corporate - to let me know the actual details:

the bottom line is this:

chaney, sr. played the phantom for universal
                              james cagney played lon chaney in "man of a thousand faces" and it is THAT makeup that aurora, lincoln, and others have based their phantoms on as that film was getting wide distribution at the time of those toys. so, the fellow who is claiming that the lincoln one is not chaney is mistaken.
                              chany's family signed a broad deal with universal for all chaney sr and jr. likenesses in universal films.
                              so, ANY of the previous portrayals of the phantom to date, with the exception of the macfarlane abortion, are based directly on chaney or on a derivation of the portrayal, NONE of which are in the public domain.

period, close-quotes, end of story.
                              www.drmego.com
                              www.megoman.com
                              www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

So the Lincoln Phantom of the Opera was licensed from Chaney/universal just like the aurora kits? I didn't realize that.

Last edited by samurainoir; Aug 31, '11, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎