Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think we ought to try a Texas Mini-Meet!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheDoLittle
    Disco King Discomboblator
    • Oct 24, 2010

Originally posted by gman
    I pretty open to anything... I like the Comicpalooza though.... don't forget our neighbors in LA.... we're only a few hours up I-10.
    I've driven to LA... takes three days... had to stop in Vegas and put $20 on 18 red...

Oh, wait... you're talking EAST LA!!! 8-)

Anyway, I had plans on making Austin Comicon, but my school schedule changed at the last minute so I won't be able to make it. If any of the Houston lot want to meet and try to hash out a plan on a Mego Meet, shoot me a PM. My schedule brings me out to Alief, Galleria, and the Museum District at varying times of the week, and my Fridays are pretty open.
    ---
    David O. Little
    -=The DoLittle 8-)=-
    My Blog
    Picasa Web Albums - David Little

Comment

• TEXASFETT
      #1 Bounty Hunter
      • Aug 29, 2008

Wow great to see something like this try to happen. I would love for something to happen in Austin if possible.......its okay here in town but find it boring. I'm down for what ever.

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
        Career Member
        • Jul 25, 2010

There are a bunch of hotels within walking distance of the Convention Center. I'll make some calls and see if we can block off some rooms at a discount somewhere. Everyone mark your calendars for November 11-13!
        Vintage Toy Rescue
        1614-B N State Hwy 161
        Grand Prairie, TX 75050
        (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

I'm in the Austin area and can do some legwork if y'all want.

I have some questions tho. Appreciate it if folks could post up some poll type answers.

What would most folks want to get out of this regional meetup?
          - Centralized meeting facility like a hotel room or the like.
          - How many folks want to go to the con?
          - Foodie or local culture kind of tour?
          - swap meet?
          - guest of honor/ speaker/ panel sort of thing?
          - customs/ kitbash exhibition?
          - anything else I have not thought of

thanks - rche

Comment

• Megospidey
            Museum Webslinger
            • Jul 26, 2006

I would definitely want to do a swap meet, custom exhibition of some sort, go to the con, and have some place to meet together to shoot the bull...

Comment

• AusTex
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 5, 2003

This sounds great. I live just a few blocks from the Austin convention center. Let me know if you need any help with anything.

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                Career Member
                • Jul 25, 2010

Thanks rche! Sounds like you could call on AusTex to help out too if needed. I hope everyone will take the time to answer your questions.

A centralized meeting facility at a hotel would be great..... ala Mego Suite.
                I'd like to attend the Con at least one day.
                Maybe everyone get together for dinner Saturday night.... 6th St. maybe?
                I think a swap meet, speaker, and custom display would all be cool but I don't know how we'd fit everything in time wise unless we went to the Con on Friday and did our thing on Saturday...... which now that I think about it, may not be a bad idea.
                Vintage Toy Rescue
                1614-B N State Hwy 161
                Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

another question:

what would the dream budget for a hotel room be for those traveling?

Places next to the convention center are not going to be inexpensive. What do you folks want to spend for a room if you are coming down for the con?

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

I was thinking the Austin Motel might be a good choice.

Austin Motel Rooms and Rates

pretty much the ultimate in retro vibe temporary living quarters.
                    rooms go from 80ish to 120ish if you are not being fancy. If we had enough interest and time/leeway, we could probably even get a bit of a group discount. I used to work with a music club that would house bands there all the time and they gave us a bit off of the regular rate, so I would not think a group rate would be out of the question.

Not sure if there is a central meeting room area there tho. I don't think so. There are some bigger suites and perhaps we could just meet up in there.

The AMo is in a popular area of Austin referred to as SoCo (south congress). Lots of eateries and shops/culture. Probably less than 10 blocks south and west of the convention center downtown.

Comment

• megojim
                      Permanent Member
                      • Oct 13, 2001

I echo Derek's posting above, those are things I would like to do. The Comic-Con would be ancillary to me, nice, but that event is not why I'm coming. If you've been to a mego meet you understand that.

As far as accomodations, as long as it doesn't smell or have plastic sheets, it's just a place to lay my head down so the less costly the better but i understand about the location in proximity to other activities.

LMK if you need my help
                      My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• mightyquinn
                        Proud to be a Nerd
                        • Aug 4, 2009

Originally posted by rche
                        I was thinking the Austin Motel might be a good choice.

Austin Motel Rooms and Rates

pretty much the ultimate in retro vibe temporary living quarters.
                        rooms go from 80ish to 120ish if you are not being fancy. If we had enough interest and time/leeway, we could probably even get a bit of a group discount. I used to work with a music club that would house bands there all the time and they gave us a bit off of the regular rate, so I would not think a group rate would be out of the question.

Not sure if there is a central meeting room area there tho. I don't think so. There are some bigger suites and perhaps we could just meet up in there.

The AMo is in a popular area of Austin referred to as SoCo (south congress). Lots of eateries and shops/culture. Probably less than 10 blocks south and west of the convention center downtown.
                        That looks like a cool place, with a nice view of downtown. I've never been to a mego meet, but it would be cool to swap some toys, have some food and drinks, catch a band, and watch the bats fly out. Maybe even hit the show for a day or two.
                        Wanted: Lincoln Dracula & Hunchback, AHI Male Creature, Remco Phantom, Ghost of Captain Kid, 8" Tomlands

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 25, 2010

Sounds like what ever happens, we are going to need a place to hold some sort of swap meet .

rche..... as to your earlier question about dream budget for a room, i would think if we could keep it in the $80-$100 range that would be reasonable. Of course cheaper would be nice, but i doubt we'll find anything cheaper than that in downtown Austin.
                          Vintage Toy Rescue
                          1614-B N State Hwy 161
                          Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                          (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 25, 2010

We haven't lost steam on this have we?

rche, have you found out anything about the Austin Motel yet?
                            Vintage Toy Rescue
                            1614-B N State Hwy 161
                            Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                            (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• rche
                              channeling Bob Wills
                              • Mar 26, 2008

sorry folks,

I got a bit distracted by the little fire that was burning by my house over the weekend. I'll be looking into some AM rates this week.

Comment

• kennermike
                                Permanent Member
                                • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by rche
                                sorry folks,

I got a bit distracted by the little fire that was burning by my house over the weekend. I'll be looking into some AM rates this week.
                                Fire What? hope everything is okay!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎