Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: I think we ought to try a Texas Mini-Meet!

Glad to see this thread take off. Sounds like there is definitely enough interest to make this happen. If someone would like to volunteer to search the member's list and PM the folks living in or near Texas and point them to this thread, that would be great!

Here are some upcoming shows that i plan to attend:

The Great Texas G.I. Joe & Action Figure Expo VII- Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 3-4, at the Arlington Convention Center. This one is too soon to organize any kind of museum member gathering, but it should be a good show to check out for those interested.

Fan Days- October 8-9, at the Irving Convention Center.

Wizard World Austin Comic Con- November 11-13, Austin Convention Center. This one could work for us! Gives us a central location and time to plan for it.

Sci-Fi Expo- February 11-12, 2012, Irving Converntion Center.

Dallas Comic Con- May 18-20, Irving Convention Center.

Let's keep the discussion going on this and make it happen!
    Vintage Toy Rescue
    1614-B N State Hwy 161
    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Images
    I'd be in for something in Dallas area, Austin, Tulsa, Oklahoma City.

Is Wizard World Austin a decent show? Are the Longhorns in town that weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by rche View Post
    toy shops are almost extinct in Austin now. I can think of one vintagey place and a couple of pretty cool book shops, but that is all anymore. It's a done dried up land out there.
    Ah man that is sad news, when we last went back and forth there were more, the times they are a changing huh? Please tell me Toy Joy is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Marshal Bill View Post
    Glad to see this thread take off. Sounds like there is definitely enough interest to make this happen. If someone would like to volunteer to search the member's list and PM the folks living in or near Texas and point them to this thread, that would be great!

Here are some upcoming shows that i plan to attend:

The Great Texas G.I. Joe & Action Figure Expo VII- Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 3-4, at the Arlington Convention Center. This one is too soon to organize any kind of museum member gathering, but it should be a good show to check out for those interested.

Fan Days- October 8-9, at the Irving Convention Center.

Wizard World Austin Comic Con- November 11-13, Austin Convention Center. This one could work for us! Gives us a central location and time to plan for it.

Sci-Fi Expo- February 11-12, 2012, Irving Converntion Center.

Dallas Comic Con- May 18-20, Irving Convention Center.

Let's keep the discussion going on this and make it happen!
    I had no idea there was a Wizard World Con in Austin. Is this it's first year? And if not, man I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky B View Post
    Ah man that is sad news, when we last went back and forth there were more, the times they are a changing huh? Please tell me Toy Joy is still there.
    Toy Joy is still here. It is a fun place, but you are not going to find vintage there. That is more the place to find the current wacky Godzilla windup toy.

Anna's Toy Depot is pretty fun as well. She is a reseller of kid toys and mostly shies away from vintage action figure type things. But she does usually have a table of loose toys that are $2-3 a pop and can be anything from a McDonalds premium to a vintage Kenner figure. She also likes Fisher Price Little People and Legos, so if you are into those, she usually has a bunch of it.

This person has a slot in one of those antique mall things. I've been meaning to make a stop by, but havn't really gotten the chance.
    Star Wars Toy Figures, no Jar Jar - he sucks!

Austin Books is THE place to pick up DC Direct stuff. Plus they tend to order from the non-book pages of Diamond, so there are lots of modern statuary there.

There is a guy in a store called Out of the Past. If you can actually find a path thru the store (the place is a wreck and JAM packed with junk), you can find toys. Sometimes there is cool stuff in there, but I always wonder if I am up on my Tetanus shot when I go in there.

So, I suppose it is not totally dried up. But there used to be a handful of vintage shops that dealt with toys as well. That is all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky B View Post
    I had no idea there was a Wizard World Con in Austin. Is this it's first year? And if not, man I need to get out more.
    The Wizard world Con is in its second year (I think). I seem to recall reading good things about it, tho the pricetag was a bit steep for me to go sightseeing. Might be a fun time to have a get-together. Not sure what the hotel situation would be like, but I am sure they do not completely fill up. Tables might be a bit pricey.

There is a fellow who's goes by JMV who hosts toy and card events in the area. His table prices are a bit steep, but maybe we could get a group discount from him. The last time I set up with him, he basically gave me 2 free tables and let me fill up the end of the hall they were using.
    Last edited by rche; Aug 26, '11 at 10:59 PM.

Yup, the Wizard World Comic Con in Austin is in it's second year. It used to be in Arlington before they pulled out of Texas for a while. I went last year and had a pretty good time. There were a bunch of popular guest stars there. I think table prices are pretty steep...... like $1500 dollars! If we could block off a few rooms at a hotel close by, I think we could make a fun weekend out of it. Arrive sometime Friday and gather for some sort of social. Enjoy the day at the Con Saturday, have dinner together, then have a Texas version of the Mego Suite that night. Head our separate ways on Sunday. It would totally rock .
    Vintage Toy Rescue
    1614-B N State Hwy 161
    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megojim View Post
    HEY!! I just saw this. You guys know I'm in for this! There is that Toy Museum up in Paul's Valley, Oklahoma. The museum isn't anything to write home about but could be a central location. I would be happy to get with Bill and we can look for something in and around our area. LMK
    That would be cool, then we could follow the same tradition like the regular Mego Meet AND we could get our OKie buddies involved too!!

The action figure museum in Paul's Valley is OK fun. But they don't have the space to host any sort of event if you were wanting to do any sort of swapish thing. If anyone wanted to do a swap meet or display of something, we would probably have to host that in a hotel room.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Marshal Bill View Post
    If someone would like to volunteer to search the member's list and PM the folks living in or near Texas and point them to this thread, that would be great!
    Done

Good Luck Guys...Hope it pans out
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!