Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think we ought to try a Texas Mini-Meet!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fire Marshal Bill
    Career Member
    • Jul 25, 2010

I think we ought to try a Texas Mini-Meet!

There's got to be enough of us around these parts to put something together. We probably cover a pretty good area but maybe we could shoot for a central location, possibly a weekend thing as to accomodate folks who want to come from surrounding states. I know we have Arkansas and Oklahoma folks that might like to join us. Just looking to see if there would be any interest and if so, let's throw out some suggestions.
    Vintage Toy Rescue
    1614-B N State Hwy 161
    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

I vote for Czech Stop in West!!

The Czech Stop of West, Texas
    Last edited by rche; Aug 23, '11, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Megospidey
      Museum Webslinger
      • Jul 26, 2006

I would definitely travel to Texas for a mini-meet. The Dallas area would be perfect.

Comment

• LordMudd
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 22, 2011

Tx meet

Definitely Houston. Possibly San An or Austin. That would be the max distance my budget would allow.

CCC.

Comment

• chunky B
          Museum Eclectic Collector
          • Apr 9, 2009

I'm for Austin, there are few comic and toy shops rche was telling us about I want to go check out

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

toy shops are almost extinct in Austin now. I can think of one vintagey place and a couple of pretty cool book shops, but that is all anymore. It's a done dried up land out there.

Comment

• beartex2000
              For display only!!
              • Jun 2, 2007

Count me in! I'm in the fort worth area but willing to drive. Any upcoming toy shows or comic book shows in texas that we could piggyback on to get started?

Comment

• cricketts99
                Museum Patron
                • Jun 20, 2007

I am in the Houston area and I would definitely be interested depending on where and how my budget is!

The shows that I am aware of are:

The ScifiExpo/Comic Expos in Irving

I think San Antonio now has a Texas ComicCon

Houston has Comicpalooza

Comment

• megojim
                  Permanent Member
                  • Oct 13, 2001

HEY!! I just saw this. You guys know I'm in for this! There is that Toy Museum up in Paul's Valley, Oklahoma. The museum isn't anything to write home about but could be a central location. I would be happy to get with Bill and we can look for something in and around our area. LMK
                  My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• WannabeMego
                    Made in the USA
                    • May 2, 2003

Hey Guys...I just did a quick search through the Members List and there are about 50 members that list Texas as their Location.

If this gains any legs, you may want to send them an Invitation via PM or a PM linking this thread so they participate in the discussions.

Just a thought.

Hope it Happens

~ Tom
                    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 25, 2010

Glad to see this thread take off. Sounds like there is definitely enough interest to make this happen. If someone would like to volunteer to search the member's list and PM the folks living in or near Texas and point them to this thread, that would be great!

Here are some upcoming shows that i plan to attend:

The Great Texas G.I. Joe & Action Figure Expo VII- Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 3-4, at the Arlington Convention Center. This one is too soon to organize any kind of museum member gathering, but it should be a good show to check out for those interested.

Fan Days- October 8-9, at the Irving Convention Center.

Wizard World Austin Comic Con- November 11-13, Austin Convention Center. This one could work for us! Gives us a central location and time to plan for it.

Sci-Fi Expo- February 11-12, 2012, Irving Converntion Center.

Dallas Comic Con- May 18-20, Irving Convention Center.

Let's keep the discussion going on this and make it happen!
                      Vintage Toy Rescue
                      1614-B N State Hwy 161
                      Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                      (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

I'd be in for something in Dallas area, Austin, Tulsa, Oklahoma City.

Is Wizard World Austin a decent show? Are the Longhorns in town that weekend?

Comment

• chunky B
                          • Apr 9, 2009

Originally posted by rche
                          toy shops are almost extinct in Austin now. I can think of one vintagey place and a couple of pretty cool book shops, but that is all anymore. It's a done dried up land out there.
                          Ah man that is sad news, when we last went back and forth there were more, the times they are a changing huh? Please tell me Toy Joy is still there.

Comment

• chunky B
                            • Apr 9, 2009

Originally posted by Fire Marshal Bill
                            Glad to see this thread take off. Sounds like there is definitely enough interest to make this happen. If someone would like to volunteer to search the member's list and PM the folks living in or near Texas and point them to this thread, that would be great!

Here are some upcoming shows that i plan to attend:

The Great Texas G.I. Joe & Action Figure Expo VII- Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 3-4, at the Arlington Convention Center. This one is too soon to organize any kind of museum member gathering, but it should be a good show to check out for those interested.

Fan Days- October 8-9, at the Irving Convention Center.

Wizard World Austin Comic Con- November 11-13, Austin Convention Center. This one could work for us! Gives us a central location and time to plan for it.

Sci-Fi Expo- February 11-12, 2012, Irving Converntion Center.

Dallas Comic Con- May 18-20, Irving Convention Center.

Let's keep the discussion going on this and make it happen!
                            I had no idea there was a Wizard World Con in Austin. Is this it's first year? And if not, man I need to get out more.

Comment

• rche
                              channeling Bob Wills
                              • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by chunky B
                              Ah man that is sad news, when we last went back and forth there were more, the times they are a changing huh? Please tell me Toy Joy is still there.
                              Toy Joy is still here. It is a fun place, but you are not going to find vintage there. That is more the place to find the current wacky Godzilla windup toy.

Anna's Toy Depot is pretty fun as well. She is a reseller of kid toys and mostly shies away from vintage action figure type things. But she does usually have a table of loose toys that are $2-3 a pop and can be anything from a McDonalds premium to a vintage Kenner figure. She also likes Fisher Price Little People and Legos, so if you are into those, she usually has a bunch of it.

This person has a slot in one of those antique mall things. I've been meaning to make a stop by, but havn't really gotten the chance.
                              Star Wars Toy Figures, no Jar Jar - he sucks!

Austin Books is THE place to pick up DC Direct stuff. Plus they tend to order from the non-book pages of Diamond, so there are lots of modern statuary there.

There is a guy in a store called Out of the Past. If you can actually find a path thru the store (the place is a wreck and JAM packed with junk), you can find toys. Sometimes there is cool stuff in there, but I always wonder if I am up on my Tetanus shot when I go in there.

So, I suppose it is not totally dried up. But there used to be a handful of vintage shops that dealt with toys as well. That is all gone now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎