Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 40016a
    • May 1, 2011

how to make custom heads

would love to try this i think i have the ability but i have no idea how to start :( any advice
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Well, I started by re-working and sculpting over existing Mego heads. Maybe sculpting different hair styles, or masks over the head. this sometimes means removing the hair(maybe even the ears)so that the new mask(or hair)doesn't seem to bulky.
    Mego heads are hollow, so you might have to "fill up" the inside before you can add the new hair or mask. I recommend Magic Sculpt(the best), but I also use Green Stuff by Games workshop.
    Here's an example of a figure that I had to remove hair, ears, fill up the hollow head...then sculpt a mask over it:
    sigpic

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Start with an idea for which character you want to make. There are SO MANY variables when making a figure. Also; if you're serious about maiing customs, and plan to do a lot of superheroes.... especially from the 70's and 80's.... get yourself molds for bald Conan and Thor heads.

....and a sewing machine.

Don C.

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Check out the tutorials in CustoMego
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

This is good information for anyone trying to get started. Bat, your information regarding sculpting over EXISTING heads is something I never thought of before!

sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

^ it's a great way to start. here's a joker head I just made with the base uncle Sam head pictured next to it (and a mashup of the two)...

Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
              Bat, your information regarding sculpting over EXISTING heads is something I never thought of before!

Really? Well, resources were very limited when I started...so I had to make do. Underneath my Flash is a Bruce Wayne head.
              sigpic

Comment

• Cosmicman
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by The Bat
                Really? Well, resources were very limited when I started...so I had to make do. Underneath my Flash is a Bruce Wayne head.
                I thought I was the only one who did that. Now that the secret it out it appears there is a giant community of people that sculpt over existing heads.

This is just a tiny example (but I have done way more better ones then this) like taking a Mattel Lex Luthor and making Quicksilver

A really crafty and long consuming hours one was the Brock Samson head (and body) I sculpted into the Absorbing Man. After I chopped off his funky hair it was a full top head rebuild. If you have not ever seen the Absorbing man he is really this ugly. He has a pointed bald head like this with funky ears. It was tricky to get this look from that head.

The Brock figure was a blessing. I made a Rhino out of his ugly mug also.

I buy a lot of heads off the CTVT's website. I sculpted over a Richie Cunningham head and some old man with a receding hair line to make Dum Dum Dugan and Nick Fury.

Bat is right. The key to making the hollow heads stay perfect is to make them hard. Cut off the stems and pack the inside of the head full with the clay of your choice and reseal the neck stem back on or however you attach heads to your bodies.
                Last edited by Cosmicman; Aug 30, '11, 12:48 PM.
                More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>I sculpted over a Richie Cunningham head

Holee Smokes! That's absolutely perfect! I never woulda thought of him as the base!

Don C.

Comment

• Cmonster
                    Banned
                    • Feb 6, 2010

Sculpting over existing heads is a great way to get used to the materials and get some nice results-- Hell, I still do it with some of my apes. Any 2 part epoxy should work well for you. Have fun!!!

SC

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

sculpting over existing heads is fun to do and a good way to start. Anything you can dream of is possible!

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Wow! That Doctor Zaius head is dead on! Great work!!!
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎