Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Rise of the Apes" a financial success???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fire Marshal Bill
    Career Member
    • Jul 25, 2010

I liked it, but then again I've been an ape fan since the 70's. I do hope they make a sequel. Hopefully 20th Century Fox won't say "sorry, but it appears that movie ape fans are loud but not numerous" .
    Vintage Toy Rescue
    1614-B N State Hwy 161
    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I KNEW you were going to post something like this, Sandy...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Cmonster

This film will not have "Harry Potter" legs
        Well...you sure are going out on a limb there, buddy...

Last edited by Hector; Aug 12, '11, 5:46 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I agree, opening in August hurt it some. August is just not generally a good month for movies. I know my family and i go to the drivein a lot, almost every weekend, from May through july. By August I am tired of the theater and we do not go out too much....although I did go see the Apes.....can't miss an apes movie. I also think this movie, although it is one that makes you think, was also an entertaining popcorn movie, especially tha second half or so

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Cmonster

Admittedly, it opened bigger that I thought it would, and the film was better than I thought it would be.
            I WIN, I WIN, I WIN, I WIN!!!!!!!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Just teasing, Sandy...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                This thread is a very interesting read
                Yeah...Sandy obviously knows all the behind the scenes and business aspects of the movie industry...it sure is nice to read his take on it...very cool.
                sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Personally, I hope that 20th Century Fox will maybe have a little faith in a franchise that has been dormant for ten years following a [really] bad version of the original POTA-INO] and will not judge the movie by it's first week out. I think a lot will depend on how it performs this weekend when there ain't a bunch chicks flockin' to see a chick flick.

Somehow, I can't see Becky dragging her boyfriend Dave to see "The Rules." Probably be more along the lines of "Okay, hun, you go "The Rules" and I'm gonna go see the POTA movie that I'm hearing so much about..."

One can hope, anyway...
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• torgospizza
                    Theocrat of Pan Tang
                    • Aug 19, 2010

I was talking to a guy at work the other day--he's about our ages--and asked him if he wanted to catch a matinee Thursday. He said, "No way am I going to go without my wife and kids--they'd kill me!" I'm hoping it has a bit of life with people wanting to see it, but not wanting to fight the initial crowds. Another guy was like, "Got the bootleg at home." So there's that.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by torgospizza
                      I was talking to a guy at work the other day--he's about our ages--and asked him if he wanted to catch a matinee Thursday. He said, "No way am I going to go without my wife and kids--they'd kill me!" I'm hoping it has a bit of life with people wanting to see it, but not wanting to fight the initial crowds. Another guy was like, "Got the bootleg at home." So there's that.

Gotta love them pirates....

NOT!!!!!
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• babycyclops
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 9, 2010

I'm going to check it out tomorrow. One of my work buddies raved about it, and my other workmate said it was just 'ok'...... but these guys have the same response to almost every movie that they see

If find it crazy that movies and games cam have an advertising budget equal to, or sometimes MORE than the budget for creating the thing in the first place.

A friend of mine who works in the game industry told me about his last game, and how the advertising budget was a lot more than than the total budget of the game itself.
                        There seems something basically wrong about that!

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

en totale, Rise is around 200 million, including foreign P&A.

It's at 120 on the Friday of its second week.

Normal second-week drop has become 60%, so we're in the 22 million range, stateside.

Say international drops around 60 but adds another 20 million.

Rise is at 162. Law of diminishing returns says it clear 200 between week 3 and 4. Everything after that is in the black.

The opening projections at Fox were in the 40's. Rothman is quite thrilled considering how long this has been in development.

The doubling idea is nice, but it's not a standard. Look at Cap with 140/100 in costs, (240 total). It just cleared 265 in its third week. That's a similar pace as Rise.

It's all relative to costs. A sub-100 million budget, clearing production costs in two weeks and then P&A within three is a success. By selling the cable rights to FX, a nice price is washed through the company books, padding the post-theatrical.

The problem is in the costs of the sequel. Anything over 125, and it becomes a big risk.

Comment

• Marty.N
                            • Jun 13, 2011

It was a strong opening and the guys liked it a work. I think this just might have some long monkey legs. I would agree on the second week but it just might do better than 22 mil. even in economic hard time in the past people still went to the movies. If this does well I think we will see another.
                            Thanks for reading my first post

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Almost $200 million worldwide in only its second week of release...not too shabby...

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - Box Office Mojo
                              sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

The film is doing very well. It's sophomore weekend only saw a 49% decline which is excellent. After only two weeks the worldwide haul is $179,276,000.00. It cost $93 million to make. In another week it will have more than doubled it's production costs. I think the film is an easy lock for a sequel.
                                Last edited by MIB41; Aug 14, '11, 9:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎