Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BUGS BUNNY MEETS THE SUPER-HEROES Live Stage Show with Batman, Robin & Wonder Woman

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

BUGS BUNNY MEETS THE SUPER-HEROES Live Stage Show with Batman, Robin & Wonder Woman

Yesterday, I finally found reference to this on the web. It was a live stage show/play that toured the country in 1978 (maybe longer). I saw it at the Civic Center in Evansville, Indiana that winter. We went to dinner before hand (I believe Western Sizzlin') and then it was onto the show. I remember being in awe. I just haven't heard anything about it in years.

I posted this in the "General Buzz" section, yesterday, but I hadn't any response and thought this might be a more appropriate section.

There is a magazine called Back Issue (Twomorrows) that has an article on this show with rare pictures of it. I couldn't find much else on the web about it other than some blurbs in News Papers.

Example:

'Bugs Bunny'
    The Washington Post
    Date: Sep 27, 1978
    Section: STYLE Entertainment The Arts Comics

Trusting and giving, children are the ideal audience. Several hundred VSF -- Very Small Fry -- last night greeted a Constitution Hall novelty, "Bugs Bunny Meets the Super-Heroes," which, as the ads put it, is "NOT an ice show, NOT a TV show, NOT a movie," but "a live stage show."
    (partial article..payment is required for the full article)

The Super-Heroes were Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman (not sure if there were any others). I also remember that they were fighting villains...Batman's villains, I think.

- Ian

Does anyone else have any info on this show or remember it? (I may be one of the only people who does)

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

I remember the show. My Parents took me to it too, Up in Alaska, Or perhaps Arizona..My dad was in the Airforce, I think I saw the show at a later date though, I was only 3 in 78, & kinda thought I was a bit older. I think I remember Silvester, Tweety, Bugs, & Daffy. I do not remember any plot or story line.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Wow, at least someone else remembers this show! It's always stayed in my mind. At that age, when superheroes "come to life" it's an amazing thing. Also, I don't remember the specific merchandise, but I do remember that there was some great stuff to be had there.

This show could have toured for longer than a year, but any reference to it, that I've found, was from 1978.

- Ian

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

I also Remember siting on metal seats watching the Show. The was alot of music & running around. I think at one point, the Good Guys got captured. I wanna say Yosimity Sam, was one of the Bad guys, & I am torn between Joker or Luther as a badguy. Man, this is seriously a very deep memory, I too never thought anone else saw the show. This memory & when I met Hulk & Spiderman at the Mall, are some great ones.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          I also Remember siting on metal seats watching the Show. The was alot of music & running around. I think at one point, the Good Guys got captured. I wanna say Yosimity Sam, was one of the Bad guys, & I am torn between Joker or Luther as a badguy. Man, this is seriously a very deep memory, I too never thought anone else saw the show. This memory & when I met Hulk & Spiderman at the Mall, are some great ones.

It was an awesome event, to be sure. So much of the memory of it is fuzzy for me, too. We're about the same age. I'm trying to remember the villains, too. For some reason, I was thinking the Joker and the Riddler were involved, but who knows.

Oh yeah, I remember a lot of running around that stage, too!

- Ian

Comment

• filmation batman fan
            The Man of Many Voices
            • Aug 30, 2005

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the show was called "Bugs Bunny in Space". But that's definitely what it was. I recall it was 1978. I saw it at the Tivoli Theater when it came to downtown Chattanooga when I was either in the first grade or maybe it was before I started school that year.
            I fondly recall Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes characters meeting Batman and Robin, and Wonder Woman. No other heroes were involved. I also recall seeing the Joker, the Penguin, and definitely the Riddler being in this production. I think Mel Blanc recorded his lines and they played on audio because when the actors in the Looney Tunes costumes were on stage, it seemed like they had jumped out of the TV set. My fondest yet faded memory was seeing when Batman and Robin came on stage and when Wonder Woman appeared, the special effects were very noisy and flashy.
            I seem to recall Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman getting exiled into space and when the show went to intermission, they showed a comic book illustration on the screen asking if our heroes will make it back. Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman looked like they did in the 50'c comics on that illustration. My only other memory was the Looney Tunes characters kicking the Bat villains butts. I recall one of the characters tripping the Riddler over.
            Nice to know others remember this besides me.
            Cheers.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by filmation batman fan
              Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the show was called "Bugs Bunny in Space". But that's definitely what it was. I recall it was 1978. I saw it at the Tivoli Theater when it came to downtown Chattanooga when I was either in the first grade or maybe it was before I started school that year.
              I fondly recall Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes characters meeting Batman and Robin, and Wonder Woman. No other heroes were involved. I also recall seeing the Joker, the Penguin, and definitely the Riddler being in this production. I think Mel Blanc recorded his lines and they played on audio because when the actors in the Looney Tunes costumes were on stage, it seemed like they had jumped out of the TV set. My fondest yet faded memory was seeing when Batman and Robin came on stage and when Wonder Woman appeared, the special effects were very noisy and flashy.
              I seem to recall Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman getting exiled into space and when the show went to intermission, they showed a comic book illustration on the screen asking if our heroes will make it back. Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman looked like they did in the 50'c comics on that illustration. My only other memory was the Looney Tunes characters kicking the Bat villains butts. I recall one of the characters tripping the Riddler over.
              Nice to know others remember this besides me.
              Cheers.
              It's been too long ago for me to remember first hand, but I called it 'Bugs Bunny Meets the Super-Heroes" because that's what the old articles advertising it have called it and so does Twomorrows magazine.

Anyhow, you remember it really well and have jogged my memory some. Thanks for the additional info! It was really something thrilling to see as a young child.

- Ian

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

A weird cross-pollination of characters but it makes sense since both groups of properties were owned by Warner Bros back then...
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

I just seriously don't think I saw this in 78. I would have been 3... I don't think it's possible to remember some of the show, that I do, at that age.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

This is really interesting guys. I have heard of this, but never knew much about it. I remember seeing ads for it, just like the Sea World DC show.

A weird cross-pollination of characters but it makes sense since both groups of properties were owned by Warner Bros back then...
                    Yeah, I think Warners really thought about mixing the properties more. As evidenced by that Superman cameo in that Looney Tunes compilation movie in the 80s.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

My Mom states that she kinda remembers it too...She is kinda under the impression that it may have had something to do with Ringly Brothers cuircus..

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

BK, maybe this show was enough of a sucess to have gone on for a couple of years. From all accounts the shows were packed.

I'm pretty sure I saw it in '78. I'm not sure about the Ringling Brother's part, at that point, at least.

- Ian

Comment

• The Sentry
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 3, 2007

I remember it, vaguely, I do remember asking my Mom and Dad "Where's the Hulk?" Yeah, I have a one-track mind. I remember them selling stuffed dolls of the Heroes and the Looney Tunes toons, I was 4 in 1978 but I also remember them being captured too, I don't remember much after that. This thread needs someone older than us who can remember more about it. Now I'm totally tortured!
                          sigpic
                          http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                          [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, three of us (not sure of Filmation's age) are the same age and were just a bit young to remember any of this very clearly....lol Warm & FUZZY memories.

- Ian

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                              The Man of Many Voices
                              • Aug 30, 2005

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                              Yeah, three of us (not sure of Filmation's age) are the same age and were just a bit young to remember any of this very clearly....lol Warm & FUZZY memories.

- Ian
                              For the record, I'm 36 and my birthday was in September. I was born in 1971 so I was either 6 or 7 years old when I saw this. I remember my mom buying me a banner in the lobby of the Tivoli Theater called Bugs Bunny in Space and it had Bugs in a space suit with Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman in the background. I wish I hadn't lost it. It would be a real valuable collector's gem.
                              Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎