Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Anything is possible, but I think it will take some new folks at Mattel to wake up and realize the line's "failure" was not the fault of the product itself, but horrible distribution. And Mattel doesn't like to admit their mistakes. Just look at any of the communications AFI runs on a monthly basis.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

nothing
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

The big problem was Matty wouldn't budge from the MSRP. Matty saw it as a collector's piece, everyone else saw it as the perfect size figure for kids under 10. Why they just didn't shift it to Mattycollector, is beyond me. If freaking He-Man can get enough pre-orders for a new Castle Greyskull, then how could we not get enough for a complete Supefriends/LOD line?

I was always suspicious of how they bailed hard on Wave 2. After seeing Captain Action just pwn the TRU shelves, I'm convinced Matty got out because the line wasn't as profitable as the other DCU ones.

Comment

• BATMAN89
          Mego obsessed!!!
          • Jul 20, 2010

With Mattel having a body already tooled and most likely extras laying around, they could have done exclusives, and variations.
          For example, a Year One Batman, or even take the Flash molds and do Professor Zoom.
          They should've have had them for sale on Matty Collector periodically.
          Stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
          Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
          My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Byrnes
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 19, 2011

We'll just keep this thread alive until someone listens.
            WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• fun guy
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 24, 2011

Yeah,I Would like to see retro-action figures of the following DC Characters:
              the wizard
              the fiddler
              the icicle(classic)
              superman(new 52)
              batman(new 52)

Comment

• drogge
                Career Member
                • Jul 24, 2009

Return of Retro Action

Originally posted by Byrnes
                We'll just keep this thread alive until someone listens.
                I am suprised how mum Dr Mego has been on this thread, usually he chimes it every once in awhile. Maybe he is too busy preparing new prototypes for the next Retro Action reveal for the Toyfair?

Comment

• Byrnes
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 19, 2011

Originally posted by drogge
                  I am suprised how mum Dr Mego has been on this thread, usually he chimes it every once in awhile. Maybe he is too busy preparing new prototypes for the next Retro Action reveal for the Toyfair?
                  Lol, dont dissapoint me toyfair! I want my superheros.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

would love to at least see the last prototypes get made and then a retro Batman 1966 line.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Byrnes
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 19, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      would love to at least see the last prototypes get made and then a retro Batman 1966 line.
                      Im aware of Hawkman. Who else did they have lined up?

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 24, 2009

I wish that Mattel would bring the line back even as a Matty exclusive. I think there is enough demand for a limited run of figures. I also belive these would have done better in mass distribution had they used an better body. An EMCE body or some thing like the Zica body would have worked much better that what they came up with. For mass distribution, I don't think the "Reto" name worked. These are my opinion, but I really did love the line, an wish it could return somehow.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Byrnes
                          Im aware of Hawkman. Who else did they have lined up?
                          I believe it was Supergirl/Bizarro and Batgirl/Joker. Spectre and Dr. Fate were mentioned, too. Too bad, I think that wave would have done very well.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megojim
                            Permanent Member
                            • Oct 13, 2001

I think it's a given that a 66' line would do well . . . . it would be great in our beloved format but I fear we'll be getting 6" plastic versions and then the dreaded "Red suited Riddler" or some other crap like that.
                            My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• Byrnes
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 19, 2011

I believe it was Supergirl/Bizarro and Batgirl/Joker. Spectre and Dr. Fate were mentioned, too. Too bad, I think that wave would have done very well.
                              Nothing against the last wave/Green Lantern stuff cause who ever would have ever thought of Darkseid(I like it), but those prototypes along with Hawkman seem like better choices for a wave. Joker/Batgirl would have been extremelly popular choices and could have really helped catapult this line instead of having it cancelled. Like I said I'm into the game well after it's over but I hate when they cancel a line before releasing some crucial figures like Joker, Penguin, Batgirl, Robin, Hawkman. Those are must haves in this line.

Comment

• hedrap
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 10, 2009

You can't have a high MSRP and low-recognition characters.

It either had to be the heavy hitters for all four figures for each wave, or halve the price.

It's not EMCE's fault.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎