X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spyweb007
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 18, 2006

Could Mattel's Retro-Action return?

I know everyone was dissapointed with the cancellation of Mattel's Retro-Heroes, but with all the tooling and development they did, do you think they might return in another form? Maybe with a more modern look? If Mattel were to release 8" collector editions on Matty.com paired up with a big movie release like Batman and done in a more detailed style I would think they might have more success. Who knows, maybe retro bodies will turn up as the base for another line like Max Steel or something in the future.
  • TomStrong
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2011

Let us all hope for the best. Personally, any megoesque superhero creation makes me happy. Dont forget also that DrMego said he would.never give up pushing mattel in the most.recent podcast. In my impatience I have already begun work on a ra robin.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

doubt it, Mattel seems to be too stupid to get that it was bad distribution and design defects that killed sales, not lack of interest.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jimsmegos
        Mego Dork
        • Nov 9, 2008

Personally I would prefer Mattel stay out of the 8 inch format at this point. The only thing that would change my mind would be if they actually but Doc and Joe in charge of the thing. Not as consultants but as the top dogs. Other than that I can see them (Mattel) most likely making the same remarkably stupid mistakes that a large toy company whose been around forever shouldn't make.

Persoanlly I'd just rather see BBP or EMCE get the licenses.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

I say they should wait until the DC reboot falls through before they do anything.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Mattel is likely out of the game unless Kyle sells through (which I find unlikely at this point given the indifference folks here have shown for the character).

Which hopefully opens up the door for other players like DC Direct/Diamond or Bif Bang Pow/Entertainment Earth.

I have faith that Doc and the other elves will be able to pull something out of the fire.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

I'd rather have Mattel stay far away from the 8" format. Let someone else take over the DC line... if it ever returns that is...
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

They'll be back. Someday. In one form or another. NOTHING ever REALLY goes away anymore. Just the fact that they ever tried doing figures in a format that's essentially been dead for 30 years should demonstrate that....

Don C.

Comment

• TrueDave
                  Toy Maker
                  • Jan 12, 2008

War and Horror characters!!!!!!

Wheres my Weird Wars Tales figures?

:-)

Sorry guys. I didnt get any but I know there was a lot of fans on here.

Comment

• bp1701a
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Aug 27, 2007

Just don't let PLAYMATES do a megoesque line,,, they will absolutly kill it,,, though they can do a mean playset.....
                    I am MEGO CRAZZZYYY !!!

Comment

• drogge
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 24, 2009

Return

I got a feeling they will return sooner than most of us imagined . I think they will be reborn and tweeked to satisfy the DC rebirth.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I was sad to see it end so soon. The RA DC and Ghostbusters are my favorite of the re-Megos. The other lines really don't interest me.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by drogge
                          I got a feeling they will return sooner than most of us imagined . I think they will be reborn and tweeked to satisfy the DC rebirth.
                          Sure hope not, the line will fall flat on its face if it only covers the 90's -ized version from Jim Lee. A retro line needs to have a retro style to match. Just look at the lack of interest in the Kyle Rayner figure.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>Wheres my Weird Wars Tales figures?

8" scale J.A.K.E. would be AWESOME!

>if it only covers the 90's -ized version from Jim Lee. A retro line needs to have a retro style

But the 90's IS retro now. (It's 20 years ago.) So you'll probably start seeing folks clamouring for it soon.

Don C.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              Sure hope not, the line will fall flat on its face if it only covers the 90's -ized version from Jim Lee. A retro line needs to have a retro style to match. Just look at the lack of interest in the Kyle Rayner figure.
                              I feel likethat has more to do with Kyle being an uninteresting character. I would totally be into a Harley Quinn, Booster Gold, or Lobo for example.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎