X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1975 Evel Knievel Catalog

Ideal's Evel Knievel was one of the most popular toy lines of the early 1970's, by 1975 Ideal hoped to expand the line by adding adventure to it and of course bringing the girls in with Derry Daring. Click here to see the catalog.
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

yup i remember my mom getting us the girl too..for collecting purposes of course
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

I never knew about Derry Daring until I got a 1974 JC Penny Christmas catalog and saw her ad in that.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
        I never knew about Derry Daring until I got a 1974 JC Penny Christmas catalog and saw her ad in that.
        Yeah that store in Miami that I use to buy stuff from,still has a few.My uncle still has one sealed,I remember she actually looked cooler them him when she was airborne
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• sauce
          Removed
          • Jun 24, 2007

Man, I LOVE these toys! I still have my original Evel fig with the helmet....nothing else survived. I'm thinking about buying the newly made (with Ideal molds, supposedly) versions of the stunt cycle sets.

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
            Museum Super Collector
            • May 18, 2007

That Skull Canyon playset still looks awesome. I wanted one so bad as a kid but my parents never got me one. I could also never find the explorer figure and had to settle for the artic one instead. I don't know if the explorers were short packed or just popular and I was slow. Also, one of the Wards catalogs had knock off clothes for Evil that were pretty funky! I never thought of him as a dress up figure though.
            - Sweep

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

*Brian check the links to the last 4 pages, they're not connecting to the right pictures!*

As most of you know, I'm a major Evel fan. When I was a kid, I had a Derry Daring w/ a yellow winder. Now I have at least 10 Evel stunt bikes (4 are original, the rest are repros), a repro and original Dragster, a repro funny car, 2 stunt stadiums, a Skull Canyon set, a repro Daredevil set, A Derry Daring stunt bike, a DD Wheelie car, and numerous figures, including my latest acquistion of Kaptain Robbie, hs son.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Thanks Sharry, I crank these things out pretty fast and always miss something.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sauce
                  Removed
                  • Jun 24, 2007

hardygirl, have you played with the repro sets? do they play just like the originals?

Comment

• slats7
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jun 20, 2007

How ironic that you'd post this on the day that he died. Farewell, Evel. You were a significant part of my childhood and you will be missed.

Comment

• megoat
                      A Therefore Experience
                      • Jun 10, 2003

I still think this line of toys could be possibly be the greatest line of the 70's for just it's sheer play-worthiness. I don't collect it now as an adult, but as a kid, me and my brother LOVED these toys and played with them for hours and hours......

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by slats7
                        How ironic that you'd post this on the day that he died. Farewell, Evel. You were a significant part of my childhood and you will be missed.
                        I was thinking that too. I was always especially fond of him because of all the fun I had with his toys as a kid. RIP Evel.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

WHATT?????The King Of the Daredevils is DEAD? That is SO sad. The man is a legend! Oh Evel, thanks for being a big part of my life. You were the closest thing to Superman there will ever be. RIP.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                            hardygirl, have you played with the repro sets? do they play just like the originals?
                            Actually I do play w/ them. But I have 2 issues: The gears wore out on my Back To Basics Daredevil set cycle. And the new winders are cool w/ that extra loud classic revving sound, but they're hard to wind w/ the standard bikes/cars.

Comment

• Delusional B
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Nov 14, 2007

I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about the GREAT line of Ideal Evel Knievel toys from the 70's since Evel passed away. I thought there would be more people who remember this line very fondly. With Evel's passing, I sort of expected that more people would be reminiscing about all the fun they had with the Evel toys.

I've been trying to pin down what made the EK toys seem so "magic" to me in the early and mid-seventies. I think part of it is, that at that age, they were based on a guy that seemed like a real, live superhero. To a 7 year-old, Evel was capable of doing anything. So, having the toys was such a great way to role play and have fun pretending with Evel. Another thing that is really great about the line is that it had the AMAZING action playability of vehicles but was also a great action figure playset type of toy, as well. When you were done jumping him on his cycle or in his car, you could play "mego style" with the figure and his playsets like the Scramble Van that opened and let you pretend that Evel was kicking back, drinking coffee, and tinkering with his bike. If Ideal had simply produced the Stunt Cycle with a non-articulated figure attached to the bike, I don't believe the line would have been so loved by kids everywhere. The action figure aspect of the line allowed Ideal to expand the Evel image a bit and turn him into an Arctic Explorer or Safari Hunter.

I'm also a bit surprised that this line isn't more popular with current vintage toy collectors. It was toy line that many, many kids loved and played with. To top it off, not many of the toys survived in good or better condition. The nature of the toy caused you to play with it until you ran it into the ground. Not many survived. I would think that these conditions would make the line very well remembered and very heavily sought after. Mint, boxed example of the items like the Stunt Cycle aren't cheap but they don't come anywhere near the price of some other items like the Stretch Armstrong type characters (which like the Evel toys didn't survive in great numbers) or MIB Star Wars toys. Maybe there's more interest in these great toys than I'm seeing. Any thoughts?
                              Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎