Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charlee Flatt Customs: Were they on a new body?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by jacoblb
    Flatt is thanked or credited on the C.A.T. Phantom figure's card so that makes sense.
    I would be surprised to find that he sculpted the head. The head is quite nice, and I have a lot of problems with Flatts usual head sculpts. Perhaps it's just a thanks for inspiration?
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Tothiro
      Kitten Mittens
      • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
      I would be surprised to find that he sculpted the head. The head is quite nice, and I have a lot of problems with Flatts usual head sculpts. Perhaps it's just a thanks for inspiration?
      That would be my guess too... I know I'd asked about the Flattline/Flattworld sculpts at the time they were shown with the same feeling, and learned Dracula and such were farmed out to other sculptors - Charlee was more of a creative director on those.
      But then again I never saw a lot of his last stuff, so I don't know what level he was at before he retired. I guess the CAT guys could answer that?
      Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 7, '11, 9:32 AM.

Comment

• Cmonster
        Banned
        • Feb 6, 2010

I think the fact that he was pretty much the first guy making custom megos, automatically makes him kind of a legend in the community, regardless of what people's opinion of his work is. However IMHO, like many people who are the first to do something, there will be people who follow in their footsteps that eventually surpass what they've done... I think that's happened to a large degree around here regarding Flatt, especially since he dropped out of the scene.

Personally, though I haven't liked absolutely everything he's done, I've always thought he was unquestionably a very talented guy.

SC

Comment

• AJ Collector
          The Biggest Little Man!
          • Aug 24, 2008

Why did he just stop making customs? Any one know?

Comment

• boss
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 18, 2003

Originally posted by Tothiro
            I guess the CAT guys could answer that?
            I think I was even told once, and I still can't remember the answer.
            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by AJ Collector
              Why did he just stop making customs? Any one know?
              There were several reasons why he gave it up. A couple of people (who shall remain nameless) took advantage of him and his good nature and it really soured him of customs, action figures and people who collect them.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• AJ Collector
                The Biggest Little Man!
                • Aug 24, 2008

Thanks Scott, such a shame.....

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by ScottA
                  There were several reasons why he gave it up. A couple of people (who shall remain nameless) took advantage of him and his good nature and it really soured him of customs, action figures and people who collect them.
                  But then you Also Hear Stories on How He still owes People Thousands of Dollars in Product as well .... for years Now.

Did Flatt Even Sew His Entire Custom ?
                  ... I've also Heard He commissioned a ton of His Needle Work Out.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Anarchy
                    Career Member
                    • May 26, 2009

charlee was a super nice guy, but his work ethic stunk. he still owes people figures and alot of money to this day. bk he sewed most of his stuff. during the last days he used a eamstress for a bunch of figures i think he was just tired of it all. he got really upset when people paid money fo a figure then they turned around and sold it for a profit on ebay or to another collector.
                    Check out my website dedicated to custom as well as classic and modern action figures! My Charlee Flatt Dedicated website

Comment

• Type Two
                      Career Member
                      • Sep 20, 2010

Like so many other people, I became a fan of Flatt's work from his customs being showcased in Toyfare magazine. I had no idea that people were contracting him to make customs for them until years later, after he got out of the business. It's a shame that some people apparently got burned by Charlee and a greater shame that CF dropped out due to getting burned himself.

While I missed out on the Flatt figures, I did, however, manage to buy a custom Famous Covers figure done by another once famous customizer: Blair Tarleton! It's the Phantom Stranger and I got it for a song off of eBay about eight years ago... . Gorgeous work!

Originally posted by Cmonster
                      I think the fact that he was pretty much the first guy making custom megos
                      Hey, I made a custom Mego figure in 1980 or so! I called him the "The Masked Marvel" and he had a Robin head and a Superman body (without cape). A Rose Art fabric pen provided the requisite "MM" chest emblem. He's still around here somewhere... .
                      Type Two: The Mego body, not the disease.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                        Mego Dork
                        • Nov 9, 2008

As promised... the tutorial.... pics are huge, you've been warned.

Time Traveling through Toyfare: Charlie Flatt’s Super Soldier Tutorial. s Toy Box

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                          Supporter of Silliness
                          • Jun 20, 2007

I bought a couple of Charlee's repro items in the late 90s, a Lizard lab coat, and the Peter Parker Alter Ego outfit. I bought my first full custom from Charlee back in 1998 (Black Panther, $250). I had met Cal Weaver at the Kane County Fairgrounds Show that summer and he told me all about Charlee Flatt's figures and how awesome they were, and apparently he had a Black Panther figure he was working on. As Black Panther was one of my favorite characters in the Marvel world, I was sold!

I got the Black Panther and agreed it was like holding a high-end work of art. I bought the Flattworld Dracula when it came out, just because I wanted to support his new endeavor, and while it was really well-made, I just wasn't really a monster fan. I only wanted some specific Marvel guys. A few years later, I had a little more cash than $250 in my pocket and wondered what figures Charlee was producing. By this time, Cal and Flattworld were long gone, and I had to go through another fellow Mego Mailing List member (who shall remain nameless). I asked what figures were available, and the guy was very evasive. I was also told that I could NOT contact Charlee directly to ask anything, but I could send $1200 or so dollars to him and he would get me one of Charlee's figures. Uh, yeah, no thanks. That's the last time I ever tried to buy a Flatt.

Shortly after that, word got out that Charlee wasn't making any figures any more. It's a shame, because at the time (and even now), they were incredible figures. With the Black Panther figure, Charlee sent me a nice, hand-written note, thanking me for supporting him in his hobby. He just seemed like a really nice guy who was also really talented. Fortunately, for all of us here on the Board, it seems like there's a bunch of equally talented customizers who are also incredibly nice guys.

Long live the customs!

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Flatt's amalgamated bodies that matured over the years were part of the appeal. His attention to detail in heads and costumes impressive at a time when other options were crude. I remember seeing him at a convention in the late 90's and just being WOWED by his stuff. In refernence to the price question of another thread: At the time I could not afford that but I think they were well worth the price. They are art not toys. You should expect art prices. Now, yes, there are MANY customizers (Derek C, John F, etc)as good and better BUT again, his stuff is art and it was pioneering. To say that the newer stuff and his should have the same price is hard to say. Art is valued not by how "good" it is because that is very subjective anyway. It is priced by a slew of other criteria as well. Age, artist, noteworthiness, history, style, have others replicated? uniquness, rarity and the big one - someone says it is worth it (with there money) and therefore it is. I would think that if someone wants a piece of art and a part of (post)mego history these are still worth the price asked. Of course the fact that commissioning with him has not always turned out well that may have been a bad risk. But a figure in the hand is worth the price.
                            Last edited by Brue; Jul 7, '11, 3:27 PM.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

I may not be a fan of all his figures...but to this day I've NEVER seen a better Custom SPIDERMAN! It was...AMAZING!
                              sigpic

Comment

• megozilla13
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 10, 2002

Originally posted by ScottA
                                I always had a different idea. Back before MegoCon 2004 in NYC I was trying to convince him to go and do a presentation. I even arranged to have his trip, hotel, and food payed for. He kept coming up with excuses and then finally told me that he couldn't go there and smile and act excited about something that didn't excite him anymore. I know the year before he had made and sold almost 150 customs. I think for a long time he was making money off a hobby and then it turned into work and he got burned out. I know Ron kept pushing him and pushing him to do more. I think it just stopped being fun. He once told me he didn't care if someone made money on one of his figures but he didn't want to sell to someone he knew just wanted to flip it. The crazy money the figures were changing hands for caused him to raise his prices, who could blame him for that. I think Ron had alot to do with that.

mikej

Also, as far as I know, the only outfits he had someone else do was the lined jacket for the joker. The lady that did it was a memeber here who got booted \.
                                Last edited by megozilla13; Jul 7, '11, 8:47 PM.
                                WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎