Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

The line grabbed my attention but I lost interest quickly when I realized 'traditional' costume pieces weren't a part of the equation i.e. the funky Batman capes/ wings.

Comment

• Jason73
      Correctamundo!
      • Jan 11, 2009

I have a carded Aquaman from this series stacked on my top kitchen shelf. It's been there for a while now. Not sure why.
      Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• torgospizza
        Theocrat of Pan Tang
        • Aug 19, 2010

Even now, I have a soft spot for the Hawkman in this line. I guess it's because to that point he hadn't been done much, but for the time period actually looked pretty good (if you ignored the fractal gear), sculpt-wise. This is one of the lines the Four Horsemen started getting famous for, wasn't it?

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

I wasn't collecting toys at this point, but looking back, it does get props for going with new characters like impulse, Kyle Rayner, Connor hawke, azrael etc.

Not a great plastic man, but pals nonetheless. I think I picked up a blue beetle for cheap that I still really dig because hey! First blue beetle figure. Ted kord to boot.

It wouldn't be until much later we got Ted kord from dcd and in the kingdom come and jli lines, and now dcu classics
          Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 9, '11, 10:25 AM.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I have a love/hate (or dislike) relationship with these. I remember reading about these in Tomart's, Lee's and Toyfare and being massively stoked. When I first found them at a Wal-Mart store, I was in college, but for a brief second I was 9 again, finding my first Super Powers toys. I didn't really care about the overdone muscles or grimaces at the time. Kenner's main DC line at the time was BTAS, and these looked more "comic booky" than those, so that was how I distinguished them. I appreciated the character selection at the time. I mean I didn't like what DC did to Hal, but having a Paralax back then was really cool. That 2nd Fractal Batman looks like Witchblade.

The Kay-Bee JLA figures were really hit or miss. Wonder Woman and Atom were nice, but Superboy is horrible looking. You could really tell the parts were pieced together from different lines with little or no though on how it would look together.

I sill have a tote full of all of these packaged, and a handful of loose figures, although I gave my son some. I think I donated the huge boxed JLA 5-packs to Hurricane Katrina relief.

Oh and don't forget the Hasbro.com exclusives with the alternate Wally and Kyle with Dr. Polaris, Blue Beetle and the Jurgens Teen Titans era Atom.

That one-off coloring book gave a glimpse at characters that may have made the cut had the line continued, including Oracle and Supergirl.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Beetle had some cool metallic blue paint, the translucent lenses was a nice touch.

Doc Polaris always looked pretty cool in the Ray series... I think that was a Joe Quesada redesign?

I also like Chuck Dixon's Conner Hawke enough that it's an okay figure without the fractal gear.

The first huntress figure was a welcome addition.

On the whole, I'd put this line ahead of toy biz's DC misfire... With perhaps the exception of the first Two Face figure.
              Last edited by samurainoir; Jul 9, '11, 7:31 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Super girl and oracle?

Comment

• boynightwing
                  That Carl Guy
                  • Apr 24, 2002

Somewhere in my collection is an Impulse figure in this style. They are truly awful figures. Huntress I still display because she looks great.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Huntress was really nice. I liked that costume too. Made the most sense for the harder Helena Bertnelli Huntress.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Lest we forget that the EXTREME style never really seems to go away these days...

Particularly with most refugees from 90's Image and Marvel ending up at DC right now.

Comment

• The Super Collector
                        Mego Museum Superhero
                        • Jul 3, 2011

I loved the Blue Beetle figure
                        The Mego Museum Superhero from the year 2011

Comment

• Drzsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 9, 2011

Ive got the Reverse Flash Ill see if I can get a pic up.

Comment

• Sandman9580
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 16, 2010

Looking at them now, they do look pretty bad. But at the time I thought they were nifty. (Minus the beyond-silly Tech Gear, of course. Did kids even like those?) I think for me the gravitational pull of McFarlane sort of distorted things for awhile -- because I can remember having a much higher tolerance for "extreme" back then. (At least the spell wore off in time to avoid the Star Wars Unleashed line.)

But yeah, I'll always have a soft spot for these.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎