• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

John Byrne's Shazam!

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

What's that from?! That looks like it woulda been fantastic! I think Byrne coulda really captured the magic of The Marvel Family.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
      Mighty Man/Monster Maker
      • Aug 14, 2007

I used to love Byrne's backgrounds, especially when he would draw some.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
      https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

Bryne would have been great on Captain Marvel in the 80's. He knows comic history well enough to inject a lot of the old magic that the character needs as well as modern sensibility to it........only down fall he would have done it for a year and a half then quit....

Comment

• stevenlore
          Museum Super Collector
          • Oct 4, 2009

Actually not too bad, I never cared much for how he drew necks and heads, but this looks ok.

Comment

• Random Axe
            The Voice of Reason
            • Apr 16, 2008

Uhm...wow. How did this not get done or published? That looks like it would have been a terrific combination. I love his interpretation of Cap and Mary. Great stuff, but it only makes me sad for what could have been.
            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

16 issues of an ongoing Byrne Shazam still would have been much more than the four issue miniseries that did come out in the eighties post-Legends.

That misfire really did the character in for the remainder of the decade until the Ordway series.

I really like the tone of those Byrne pages... I think he's really struck a real balance between what's come before and his own style.
              Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 16, '11, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

From the amount of heavy use of black in that city scene I'm guessing this would've been a B&W comic like Byrne's OMAC.

Comment

• madmarva
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jul 7, 2007

I was wondering if it was the Thomas/Mandrake series was the one that displaced this one. Seems like I read that someplace at one point. DC ought to give Byrne another shot at the character. I'd buy the book in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

That would have been awesome. Byrne drawing Captain Marvel!
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, this would have been nice to see. Hard to believe Roy Thomas spearheaded such a wrong-headed Shazam! revival. Very out of character for him. But Mandrake was all wrong for it for sure.

I seem to recall that Mike Wieringo was originally going to be the artist on Ordway's Power of Shazam monthly? I think they even showed a Wieringo Captain Marvel? That would have been a match made in heaven, and probably would have sold a lot better with him on it.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• MEGO_SUPERMAN
                        Say No To Kryptonite!
                        • May 9, 2011

Big fan of Byrne and Perez. Brings back great memories of the Xmen before they were everywhere....
                        Truth, Justice and Megos THAT is the American Way!

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan! - Ron Burgundy KVWN Channel 4 News Team

A picture is worth a thousand words. A Chuck Norris is worth 1 billion words. - Chuck Norris

You know what? I can already tell that I don't like you. And I'm probably not gonna like you no matter how many pull-ups or push-ups you do. All right, anybody who wants to pick on anybody in class, aim for him, 'cause I'm not watchin'. -Kenny Powers

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          Yeah, this would have been nice to see. Hard to believe Roy Thomas spearheaded such a wrong-headed Shazam! revival. Very out of character for him. But Mandrake was all wrong for it for sure.

I seem to recall that Mike Wieringo was originally going to be the artist on Ordway's Power of Shazam monthly? I think they even showed a Wieringo Captain Marvel? That would have been a match made in heaven, and probably would have sold a lot better with him on it.

Chris
                          Ugh i remember when it came out i was so disappointed, it pretty much did Cap in for a few years till Ordway took over.

Wieringo would have been great, i loved his art. Saddened when he passed away.

I had been hoping that Ordway was going to be the penciler from the start was disappointed when he wasn't and it was Peter Krause.
                          Krause's artwork wasn't bad but I just wanted Ordway to do it....

Always like Ordway's Homage to the WOW page in the Rocketeer in the Graphic novel.......

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by johnmiic
                            From the amount of heavy use of black in that city scene I'm guessing this would've been a B&W comic like Byrne's OMAC.
                            I'm not sure DC editorial would have let Byrne get away with that, but perhaps they were pulling the Wizard of Oz effect... showing how dark Fawcett city was until Captain Marvel shows up. Apparently, in Byrne's version the Wizard gives the powers initially to that guy picking on Billy who becomes Black Adam.

Apparently this version was nixed because of WAR OF THE GODS!
                            (i loves me my Perez, but even George himself admits this was his low ebb burnout stage)

Byrne was doing tonal stuff soon after this over his B&W art on Namor(?) which was coloured.

I'm going to try and dig out the Modern Masters Byrne book, he might talk about it in there.

Was Byrne inking his own stuff around this time? or was Ordway? I can't remember... Ordway stayed on Superman after Byrne left right?
                            Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 16, '11, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                              Wow! 'Ringo would have been a terrific choice. He seems the perfect balance between cartoony and realism.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎