X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuart
    Hi-Yo Silver Away!
    • Jun 18, 2007

"Leather" suggestions?

I need some "leather" for a custom Tusken Raider. The Raider has a leather-wrapped mask piece. Real leather is just too thick. It needs to be very thin to be in scale with the Mego fig. I have considered faux leather (scrap-booking style) paper or maybe even painted tissue paper. Any ideas?

• weswood
    • Jun 5, 2011

http://www.riorondo.com/

Look under "leather" for Skiver leather. A little pricey, but it's paper thin & will take dyes or staines. I use a lot of it I picked up somewhere. I've even made a couple 1/6 scale jackets with it.

Comment

• Megospidey
      Museum Webslinger
      • Jul 26, 2006

^^ that is great stuff, and I personally don't think it's too expensive for what you get. There is nothing available that is quite like it.

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

Are you talking about the leather bit just around the mouth or are you doing his various belts the same as well?
        Or for the mummy wrappings for the whole head?
        How much do you need?
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ddgaff1132
          Persistent Member
          • Oct 3, 2007

thrift store. grab some old pleather purses or boots. Its basically vinyl after you cut it free from the lining. If it seems to thick. Rub it by hand to warm it up and make it suple the jentley pull/ stretch it. The lady to talk to though is Jessica.
          Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
          MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• stuart
            Hi-Yo Silver Away!
            • Jun 18, 2007

I'm looking for just enough to just make the wrap around the mouth/nose area. I have some tea-stained cotton for the head wraps.

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

The trick I used on my mummy was to take a really coarse cloth, tear it into strips, soak it in superglue and loosely wrap the head. Works really well, it'll look just like the burlap wraps on a Tuskin Raider. BUT be really, REALLY careful of the glue when doing it and give it a very long time to dry.

Don C.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

I use some dark leather/suede for my holsters and such.I have a small piece I could send you if it is suitable for you.
                If so shoot me a pm with your address and I'll send it your way.
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

If you have glove leather, that will work. Anything that can be sewn by hand should be thin enough. If it's not thin enough, you can make it thinner by shaving the back side of the leather down with a sharp exacto. I use a fabric glue and it works well for leather because it dries clear, is water based, and very flexible. I can't remember what it's called though.

I also found a special paint for leather (Angelus paint)! found here: Turtlefeathers.net
                  Last edited by jessica; Jun 15, '11, 12:47 AM.
                  Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                  Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                  1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                  1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎