Post MegoMeet 2011 Wrap Up
Two realities of my age are becoming very apparent - enjoyable times go by much quicker and my bedtime gets much earlier!!
Once again, a great weekend. I cannot tell which is more fun - seeing the regulars once again or meeting the newbies for the first time. This year I was more involved in the mechanics of the meet than before, but I do have a little experience in convention set up and running, so it in no way took away from the weekend.
Couple of thanks to go out:
1) Steve M - you made the show for me. For those who are not in the know, Steve was completely in charge of not only getting everyone's custom in and displayed, but also in charge of the Custom Auction. He worked with Chris Noon, an auctioneer, and the two of them were responsible for raising over $1000 for the MegoMuseum.
Well, OK, the customizers were really responsible for it, but they facilitated this great take for the museum. Thanks to those who contributed - my gratitude cannot be expressed enough.
2) Allen and Jimmy at the Museum - Allen, as always, makes us feel as at home and as comfortable as possible, and has a venue that is perfect for what we need - large enough to accommodate, but small enough that everyone can feel close to everyone else and not exiled to some far off corner. Jimmy is the curator of the Museum since last July, and was amazing in making suggestions, helping with ideas and being more than willing to make sure every aspect of the building and it's resources were available to us whenever we needed. After the meet, we spent some time discussing how it went, and he is already making suggestions as to how next years can be even more improved.
3) Dr. Mego - as always, a solid rock to support our great community. Not only has he been the central figure in the resurgence of the 8" Mego type figure back into circulation, but has always supported both the Museum and the MegoMeet both emotionally as well as financially. Because of him, I have decided to embark on accepting his life philosophy of FYPM. And if you don't like it, GFY.
4) David & Jason of Cast-A-Way - their suggestion and continual support of the Custom KitBash Contest has grown a life of itself that has really enhanced and improved the child-like fun of the Meet. We so often forget that these are toys, so it is nice to be reminded. For those who weren't there, there were more kid entries this year than adult, which was great to see. We had two categories - over 15 and under 15, with prizes in each. Jim, I'm sorry you could not be there this year, but that was your only chance to win - I'm back next year, and bud, it's on!!!
5) MegoCrazy and Hulk - two rocks of the community and two guys that are instrumental in making one of the best aspects of this show come to life - the MegoSuite. Hulk was the original overseer of the suite, sacrificing his own sleep for all of our enjoyment. MegoCrazy has taken up the mantle and has run with it. To both of you, I tip my silly hat to you.
6) Dave Mc - another pillar in the temple that is MegoMeet. Dave, up to this year, was THE MAN when it came to MegoMeet - the organizer, the director, the collection agent, the BMOM (Big Man of Meet). Dave had to take a step back this year, but whenever I needed something, he was the first I went to and the first to agree to help out. Your presence and assistance was much needed and even more appreciated.
7) Austin, Derek, Scott, Ed - I cannot tell you how much I dropped on my knees and thanked God you were willing to step up and help out with the morning Custom Discussion. Austin, as always, your discussion kept everyone riveted for almost two hours. Outside of me worrying that you were going to dehydrate up there (and making sure there was a dry towel ready for you if you needed it), I think everyone loved the talk. Ed, Scott and Derek - I appreciate your willingness to step up at the last moment and talk not only to the crowd but also to the camera. Cannot wait for your stuff to get up on line.
8) Bob and Dave, James - I appreciate you all being willing to sacrifice some of your time at the meet to help us document the people and experiences of the members there. Please let us know when it all goes up so we can all benefit from the collective knowledge that you collected.
9) The MegoMeet Exclusive Construction Crew - every year it gets bigger, with this year the biggest, especially since not only did I do my usual procrastination (it's just not a MegoMeet without Johnson finishing working on the exclusive in the last 12 hours before sale!!), but I was joined by Stabilio who made me feel better by having even less done with his than myself. Seriously, I know I talk for both of us when I thank everyone involved for helping to make these figures a reality before the Meet was over!
10) Art and Rose - Art, your generosity and graciousness to everyone regardless of age is a breath of fresh air in a very cynical world. I appreciate everything you did, from the logo to the willingness to draw for everyone and anyone who approached you to your help with the contest. And Rose, your co-hosting the aftermeet Mego Races has, for the last two years, put a perfect end to a great weekend. Next year, I will actually participate.
And finally a big thanks to everyone that showed up. I hope you had as good of a time as I always have, and I hope you will join us again next year and all the years to come.
Now I sleep.
"The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain