Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Definitely an art person. I follow artists like Perez, Starlin, Gene Ha and a few others. It doesn't make a difference who the writer is or id the story is just so so.

It's great when you get that perfect match between writer and artist . Perfect example that I can give is I LOVE the Spectre series with Ostrander and Mandrake team...but I am not a huge fan of Mandrake's art by itself....he needs a good story to go with his art.

Comment

• AJ Collector
      The Biggest Little Man!
      • Aug 24, 2008

Very interesting points and opinions……

To answer my own question I would have to say my tastes have changed as time passed. As a youngster it was the art that first grabbed me, any thing done by Byrne or Adams immediately caught my attention, but as I aged it was the story line that kept me interested in comics, to this day I prefer to read a black & white indy with a solid plot and creative twist then a visually spectacular bore fest.

Comment

• steshell
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jan 20, 2008

I'd say story first and then art.
        I don't like 'fussy' art and love DC style from the 60's.
        Thinking about it, I would read Super Friends all day long so maybe it should be art first.

Steve

Comment

• Sandman9580
          Career Member
          • Feb 16, 2010

Originally posted by AJ Collector
          Very interesting points and opinions……

To answer my own question I would have to say my tastes have changed as time passed. As a youngster it was the art that first grabbed me, any thing done by Byrne or Adams immediately caught my attention, but as I aged it was the story line that kept me interested in comics, to this day I prefer to read a black & white indy with a solid plot and creative twist then a visually spectacular bore fest.
          I agree with that almost verbatim. I love Byrne and Adams now but as a kid buying comics from the local 7-11, McFarlane was the guy. I would flip through a comic book and make my buying decision solely on whether or not I liked the art.

In later years, when I actually started reading them, story became the important thing. Nowadays if a comic doesn't have a good story, I just feel like it's not worth my time. I'll still buy a title based on a character or art occasionally, but if the story's boring (and they usually are) I won't be back. There are some exceptions, though. Alex Raymond's stories in the old Flash Gordon strips leave me pretty underwhelmed, but his beautiful art triumphs over all. When I look at them now, that's usually what I'm doing though... looking, not reading.
          Last edited by Sandman9580; Jul 2, '11, 4:23 AM.

Comment

• torgospizza
            Theocrat of Pan Tang
            • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by The Toyroom
            I was following Millar and Hitch's runs on The Ultimates with great anticipation...but when they stepped off the book and Leob and Maduiera jumped on, I dropped the book.
            This is exactly what I did. I wonder how sales went after they switched the team? I'd heard Ultimates 3 actually did better than the previous arcs, but it's beyond me why it would perform so well. It probably says more about me being out of touch than anything else. I wouldn't read Ultimate Spider-Man if it was free; yet, there are many, many people--on this board, even--that swear by it. Good for Bendis and Bagley! I'm not a fan, but they're both workhorses, so it's nice they got some success there.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Definitely the story line. Often times when I read comics I read the words first and look at the pictures afterwards. But if the story was boring, I wouldn't even bother w/ the pictures.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍