Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mego Superboy Prime
    Career Member
    • Nov 27, 2009

All comics are desperate to get new readers because sales are so low but this is atrocious in my eyes. Maybe renumber everything else but Detective comics and Action Comics!!
    If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      I would say Flashpoint is now disappearing from shelves, for those not completely put off by this.

Chris
      I urm...downloaded Flashpoint #1 and enjoyed it (I wanted to see if it was any good without commiting). I saw #2 in stores today and I might go back to pick it up. I'm not going to buy the 20 some odd add on comics that are coming out in June. I will get the actual Flashpoint title as I think its 5 issues or something.

I'm now starting to look forward to this company reboot. My mind is swirling with the possibility of fresh ideas.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by boynightwing
        I urm...downloaded Flashpoint #1 and enjoyed it (I wanted to see if it was any good without commiting). I saw #2 in stores today and I might go back to pick it up. I'm not going to buy the 20 some odd add on comics that are coming out in June. I will get the actual Flashpoint title as I think its 5 issues or something.
        Yes, it is 5 issues. I just read #1 & 2 today and I've got to admit...it was pretty darn interesting.
        sigpic

Comment

• number 6
          Village Idiot
          • Jul 10, 2003

On the one hand, as a collector of older comics, I hate to so the numbering on legacy books like Detective and Action get junked.

On the other hand, I haven't bought any of those legacy titles in years. The only title I know I'm picking up is Aquaman, and as an Aquaman collector, I've gotten kinda used to renumbering/rebooting.

The digital download stuff doesn't interest me at all. Hate to sound like a geezer, but part of what I love about comics is the comic as a physical object. To me a digital download is just a cartoon on pause. I'll just read the new stuff when it comes out in trades and we get it at the library. Unless they're going to do away with trades, then I guess I would be done with new comics. Which wouldn't be that bad, wouldn't have to debate on how to divide my funds between the few expensive new comics I want and the tons of back issues I want to pick up.

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          Hooray....

Wouldn't it be ironic, after years of being 2nd banana and the joke of DC Comics, if Aquaman became the shining star of this entire fiasco?
          LOL! The Aqua-fan in me would love to see that, but the harsh reality is, if the top-tier books don't do well on this, they'll cancell everything including anything cool they do on Aquaman.

I wonder how many writer and/or artists will do the Neal Adams Batman: Odyssey thing and just do self-contained mini series that deal with the charactors as they are/were.

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by number 6
            I wonder how many writer and/or artists will do the Neal Adams Batman: Odyssey thing and just do self-contained mini series that deal with the charactors as they are/were.
            Has he even finished that thing? I haven't seen an issue on the stands in months...Not that I bought anything after that horrible first issue anyway
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

The Adams book stopped after 6 issues (officially 'on hiatus'). I figure it will get collected into a limited hardcover with a quickie wrapup ending rather than as individual issues. Either way, it was terrible, a true case of you can't go home again. Although, given the opportunity to have Denny O' Neil write it for Neal, Dc flubbed that book.

When the original Crisis books came out, I wasn't overly offended, even though I was a fan of the multiple Earths. My biggest gripe was the way the JSA got dumped. Also, remember that back then, the comics were still being sold on newsstands, so the sales figures were better. But as you say, DC really threw away tgheir chance back then with crappy revitalizations and poor editorial control. As always, the poster boy for this was Hawkman.

I expect that we will see Superman rebooted to something like we saw at the conclusion of the Smallville Finale. Something akin to the Superman movies, with a clutzy Clark & a single Lois in a love triangle with both identities. And actually, that might not be too bad compared to the past 5-6 years of Superman they've been giving us.

I really hate to see another LSH reboot, especially after the effort to get the classic team together again, but since that grouping is Johns' favorite and he orchestrated most of it, maybe it''ll work out. Teen Titans I could care less about, ditto the Bat franchises- with the exception of Birds of Prey. I love Gail Simone's work and hate to see that go away. Again though, an Oracle & Black Canary minus the wedding, ninjas, and baggage might not be bad, I don't want to see a miraculous cured Babs acting as Batgirl, believe it or not. I like her as Oracle. I only hope they hold onto Lady Blackhawk, my fave member.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                Hot Child in the City
                • Jul 3, 2008

In the words of Miss Emily Latella..."never mind!"

DC Relaunch: Batgirl #1 and Nightwing #1 UPDATE Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

If it's Barbara Gordon who was crippled in "The Killing Joke" who miraculously regains the use of her legs then I'm more ok with that rather than jumpstart everything and wipe out all of her post "KJ" continuity.

They really should try and keep as much of their continuity as possible instead of starting from scratch....Just tweak here and there where needed.

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                    If it's Barbara Gordon who was crippled in "The Killing Joke" who miraculously regains the use of her legs then I'm more ok with that rather than jumpstart everything and wipe out all of her post "KJ" continuity.

They really should try and keep as much of their continuity as possible instead of starting from scratch....Just tweak here and there where needed.
                    Agreed on both points!!
                    sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                      >Continuity was a big deal, so was lining up ALL your facts so's they made sense. I've never figured out what exactly caused this;
                      I had an interesting conversation recently about this... I actually blamed Roy Thomas and his generation of Fan-turned Pro. They were the first to needlessly bridge all those continuity gaps that no one previously cared about because of the generational turnover of the primary kid audience... ie) the 50's Captain America.

Thomas actually turned that into his career at DC with the Golden Age characters, only to find himself pretty much out of the job when Crisis happened. Not that these things can't be fun, but when it becomes your Raison D'etre then the problems creep in. After Crisis it seemed like Thomas' main job was to try and patch up continuity holes as quickly as Wolfman, Byrne, Perez, Miller and Co were busy sinking the Titanic of past baggage on Multiple Earths.

I think his post Crisis Shazam series is the perfect example of that... as well as stuff like his Secret Origins, Infinity Inc and Young All Stars.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
                        I think his post Crisis Shazam series is the perfect example of that... as well as stuff like his Secret Origins, Infinity Inc and Young All Stars.
                        Thomas' Shazam mini was horrible....Tom Mandrake's moody art didn't help matters either...

Secret Origins was actually one of my favorite reads at the time...

His Infinity Inc. became un-readable for me and Young All-Stars was a poor substitute for All-Star Squadron with all of it pastiche heroes like "Iron" Munro, Fury, Flying Fox etc.

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

Shortly after Didio and Lee moved up to co-publishers and Johns to CCO, the three were interviewed and when answering a question about Barry Allen returning. Didio said the idea was to return their characters to their core or most recognizable iteration. Johns said something to the effect you can have Barry without Wally, but not Wally without Barry. They indicated it would not only be better for the comics but for TV shows, cartoons, video games and movies.

This turn back the clock move seem the somewhat radical result of that thinking.

Barbara Gordan as Batgirl
                          Tim Drake as Robin?
                          dick Grayson as Nightwing
                          Superman and Lois not married and so on.

If Grayson is Nightwing, then it would stand to reason Bruce had been Batman anywhere from seven to 10 years. How old was Dick supposed to be anyway in current continuity 30 or so?

I'm looking forward to Morrison's Superman. All-Star Superman was great and listening to the special features on the all-star Superman DVD, he really gets and loves the character.

Johns has done nice work on JSA, Avengers and Titans. I look forward to what he does with the JLA.

Hopefully Scott Snyder will be on at leas one of the batman books, his Detective run has been the best Batman in quite a while.

I hope Sandman (trench coat and gas gun) has a title.

Hope Vic is the Question and Jim Corrigan is Spectre and Renne Montoya and Crispus Allen are once again detectives in Gotham.

Who's going to get the Flash assignment? Will Wally have a book? Will Barry or Bart?

How many Earth GLs survive the purge.

Black Canary and Zatanna w/o fishnets makes me sad.

Hope Supergirl and Power Girl are written out of DC lore. Superman needs to be the only Kryptonian.

Comment

• boynightwing
                            That Carl Guy
                            • Apr 24, 2002

Originally posted by madmarva
                            Hope Supergirl and Power Girl are written out of DC lore. Superman needs to be the only Kryptonian.
                            I liked everything you said except that part. I love Supergirl. Always will. I plan on naming my daughter Kara. I'd be very sad (like Zatanna without fishnets sad) if I couldn't read about Supergirl anymore. And Powergirl is fun too. I also like Krypto but none of the other Superpets.

Comment

• madmarva
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jul 7, 2007

I like both characters too. and I don't think they'll drop either of them. But Superman's story is at its strongest when he's the lone survivor. But making it that way and keeping it that way cuts out a lot of cool stuff.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

If Dick is Nightwing, and Babs is Batgirl, I'm betting Tim is Robin so that means...NO DAMIEN!!!

This may be a blessing after all.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎