Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Jim Lee's classical approach seems just fine to me, but I guess it doesn't get you into USA Today unless they have an image to grab folks attention.

Other than the deaths of Superheroes, the mainstream press only seems to give comics the ink when they change their look. I blame our celebrity culture.

Remember when Wonder Woman cut her hair for six issues?

THAT made the news headlines, when they didn't even blink when they killed her off and replaced her with Hypolyta... or when Artemis took over.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• torgospizza
      Theocrat of Pan Tang
      • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by samurainoir
      ...prior to Ultimates Bryan Hitch really honed his widescreen sensibilities on Stormwatch/The Authority, finally coming out of the shadow of Alan Davis' influence.
      Not to derail the topic by talking about Hitch, but I love seeing guys like that come into their own, and sometimes you can see it happen like they got a new pair of eyes or something. It's like it just clicks for them from out of nowhere and they've been given an alphabet instead of merely relying on shorthand. It's like the difference between what a human heart truly looks like and or someone like Sanjulián and Erik Larsen. You can see it happening to Hitch as you look through his old stuff. Greg Land and Dale Eaglesham are also a couple guys that seemed to have a huge evolutionary burst at one point. It's like they took a break and attended art classes for a spell.

Anyway, about the DC reboots, I don't see why it's necessary. What is necessary is good, engaging writing and solid art. It already looks like a Crystal Pespi-level mistake, to me.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

This is why I'm so glad I stopped cold turkey, this garbage proves me right.....and man DC is getting slammed over at facebook buuuuhahahahah!

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

I've thought of a new slogan for DC. "With all of our #1s,you'll feel like #2."

Comment

• Cosmicman
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 12, 2005

Well, I was wondering if I was ever going to end my collecting of comic books. This might be a good stop to get off finally (plus I'm running out of room). DC has really ****ed this one up. I can't imagine this 'rebooting' is going to accomplish anything but new fans (if they hook up through digital land) and **** off the old timers.

I'm done....'nuff said.
            More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by torgospizza
              Not to derail the topic by talking about Hitch, but I love seeing guys like that come into their own, and sometimes you can see it happen like they got a new pair of eyes or something.
              I don't know if it's the fact that for a while there, Alan Davis seemed to be the house style over at Marvel UK, but there was certainly plenty of talent there that took the step out... Gary Frank was also fairly slavish to the Davis influence back in the Marvel UK days.

Similarly, think about what a huge influence Neal Adams had on a generation of artists coming in around the seventies... you can see guys like John Byrne and Bill Sienkiewicz were originally heavily trying to be Adams until they found their own groove.
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

... I'M so confused .
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>Other than the deaths of Superheroes, the mainstream press only seems to give comics the ink when they change their look

Or when a book might end up beeing worth a kajillion dollars. I've always felt that CNN's coverage of Punisher when he got his own book was the beginning of the "speculator age of comics." Most of the story was about how valuable old comics were.

>Remember when Wonder Woman cut her hair for six issues?

No.

>as well as alter the physicality of many heroes and villains to modernize the DC Universe.

"What is it them damned kis are into these days? Speed lines? Add more speed lines! And, is it time for ninjas again yet?"

Don C.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

The only thing that has me remotely interested is Morrison's Superman, and that will be trade waiting as I don't do digital, mail order or have a LCS.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

*sigh*
                      Yet another reboot.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

You know, 10 years ago I would have had an ulcerated fit over this but now, I honestly don't care.

DC has done a fantastic job of keeping it's great old stories in print. That's where MY heroes live. In back issues and trades, on DVD, etc.

To me, this is no more relevant than the Imaginext toyline versions of the characters. It's just another version.

And I'm glad I quit cold turkey several years back now!

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

I LOVE that Picture! I'm going to use it for my Wallpaper!

Originally posted by samurainoir

Jim Lee's classical approach seems just fine to me, but I guess it doesn't get you into USA Today unless they have an image to grab folks attention.
                          sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            You know, 10 years ago I would have had an ulcerated fit over this but now, I honestly don't care.
                            Yeah I'm heading down that path too....I buy less and less each week compared to a few years ago, even last year, and sometimes it seems like it's just an exercise to make that weekly jaunt to the LCS instead of it being something I'm really passionate about. Whatever fire I do have left is quickly burning out with nonsense "events" like this...

Anything to make the USA Today I suppose
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Quote:
                              Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.
                              One of the few smart moves, not f'in up what Johns has already spend considerable time building up...

Quote:
                              Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.
                              Wouldn't it be ironic, after years of being 2nd banana and the joke of DC Comics, if Aquaman became the shining star of this entire fiasco?

Well, there's two smart moves they're making at least.
                              sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                                The Packaging King
                                • Dec 31, 2004

Did anyone ever think that the garter-belt robot created back in '80 would be a major player some 30-years later? I realize that the DC congolmerate has been trying to give this guy a push to the big League since the Super Powers days but I always assumed that was because they were trying to show some ethnic diversity and not because he was this fantastic character.

He was created as a Titan character and I just have a problem with him crossing over to play with the big boys..I understand that he's not a teen anymore...But it seems as though he's taking a spot that should be filled by J'onn J'onzz or Firestorm or any of the other classic Leaguers.
                                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎