X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

DC reboots again... #1's for everyone!

Flashpost: The Issue One Renumbering Of The DC Universe Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

52 #1 issues. Collect them all.

This year, change is in the air at DC Comics.

On Wednesday, August 31st, DC Comics will launch a historic renumbering of the entire DC Universe line of comic books with 52 first issues, including the release of JUSTICE LEAGUE by NEW YORK TIMES bestselling writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and bestselling artist and DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee. The publication of JUSTICE LEAGUE issue 1 will launch day-and-date digital publishing for all these ongoing titles, making DC Comics the first of the two major American publishers to release all of its superhero comic book titles digitally the same day as in print.

DC Comics will only publish two comic books on August 31st: the final issue of this summer’s comic book mini-series FLASHPOINT and the first issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE by Johns and Lee, two of the most distinguished and popular contemporary comic book creators, who will be collaborating for the first time. Together they will offer a contemporary take on the origin of the comic book industry’s premier superhero team.

In the hours, days and weeks to come, we’ll have more news about the other titles. Tomorrow, we’ll hear from Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee about this momentous occasion. Keep checking THE SOURCE for updates about the other first issues.

This year, make history with us.
    But c'mon, you're telling me DC won't be eyeballing that Action #1000 and Detective #1000 eventually with some kind of Legacy Numbering?

The not so secret Jim Lee/Geoff Johns Justice League #1 is finally announced as well...
    Flashpost: Geoff Johns And Jim Leeā€™s Justice League #1 Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

and what is The Dark? Eclipso's been running around the Justice League lately.
    Last edited by samurainoir; May 31, '11, 4:01 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Sure we will get issue one by Lee, and how many years till issue two? Its really a big mistake putting him on a monthly. This renumbering is a publicity stunt that will last until like you said when Detective or something is creeping up to 1000.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

The huge point here is that DC comics are going same-day digital. I think that is the paradigm shift that most won't really see as a bigger impact than yet another new bunch of #1's.

Whatever ground DC is losing to Marvel over this $2.99 price point, might very well be in anticipation of a future where digital delivery to your device every wednesday will seem as normal as the Wed trip to the comic shop. Although I realize I'm in the minority here as someone who traded in 25 years of the Wed "fix" in favour of the convenience of digital recently.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

The huge point here is that DC comics are going same-day digital.
        I bet every retailer that read this messed their pants unless they were given prior warning.

I will have a reason to buy an ipad2 on Aug. 31. While I love comics, I'm ready to convert.

I wonder if the little tidbits Bleeding Cool released this morning made DC go on an announce this. JOhns and Lee were scheduled to make a bombastic announcement June 11 at the LA Times/Hero Complex Film Festival. Many had speculated what was announced here would be it. Who knows; maybe that announcement will be a JL movie.

Also from the art with the USA Today article, it looks like the JLA all buy their shirts at the same place. What's the deal with the collars?

I could get used to the new Superman shield, but I like the red underpants on the front and the way the cape has tucked into his shirt since Wayne Boring and Curt Swan started working on the character in the late 1940s. Some costumes don't need to change.

Same with Wonder Woman.

Oh well, as long as the stories and art are good, but Lee, Didio and Johns have really put their heads on the block with this one.

Didio's nickname ought to be reboot there have been so many since he took over as Editor of DC and then moved to publisher.

The issue No.s don't matter to me, but the characters do. It will be interesting how all this shakes out.
        Last edited by madmarva; May 31, '11, 6:38 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Uggh, thanks for posting that link. The generic matching neck lines look horrid.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

My guess is the print version will end up as the Limited Edition Collectible pushed towards a collectors market once again if the direct market is to survive... so much more with the variant covers, stuff like ring incentives, hidden "chase" sketch and signed comics, 3-D issues etc.

I actually don't see this as a Bad Thing necessarily if it keeps the print game alive while actual new readers grow up reading digital. There has already been a huge shift to graphic novels in the past twenty years, this is just further evolution and potentially a larger audience out there who are hungry for content on their phones and other devices.

There must be people out there currently experimenting with the form... I'd imagine Scott McCloud's early attempts at web-comics like his continually downward scrolling Zot comic would be the ideal type of comic you would read on a touch-screen device like the ipad.
            scottmccloud.com - Zot! Online

Alternatively... we might get away from panel-to-page relationships in favour of the sequential screen sized single panel... every "page" would be a full page/panel splash dictated by the dimensions of the device.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Didn't Marvel pull this same crap a few years back?
              sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

"This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."
                So... goodbye to Batman and Aquaman having adult aged kids? Or at least Flash and Green Arrow being grandparents? Goodbye Jason, Tim and Damian... Dick back in your speedos?

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Ya know what? What the hell...scrap everything and take it back to square one John Byrne style! I mean why not...it could be FUN right? No more being bogged down with continuity, and convoluted plots the go on FOREVER ,sometimes just left hanging without a resolution.

If fact...they should be looking up Byrne to help with this project.
                  sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
                    Hot Child in the City
                    • Jul 3, 2008

Meh...once again, DiDio goes to the quarter bins for inspiration. Remember the month DC published all #0 issues? Or the #1, 000,000 issue junk? This time he's also ripping off Marvel's Heroes Reborn. So help me, if Rob Liefeld is doing Wonder Woman...

Just another gimmick that will be reversed eventually. It hasn't worked before, won't work this time. Or maybe this is being forcefed to the line from Warner higher-ups- all people who don't know or care about the comics. These are PROPERTIES.

I'd guess that the GL books will not get too much change thrust upon them, especially viewing the announcement of yet another rainbow GL book coming out to go along with the Red Lantern series. Ditto the Batman line, as Morrison still wishes to play in it.

Funny how the same company has just wrapped up a DC Legacies series that's now obsolete, has a successful toy line going based on characters that they no longer feel are valid, and a successful book series of Archives & Showcase volumes.

Next summer look for another big announcement detailing the next EVENT to return the DCU to it's status quo. Meantime, I'll be saving my cash. I'm down to only a handful of books from DC now, looks like they've given me a jumping off point!

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Reboots mean only one thing...they are not making enough money.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

This has all the signs of a huge, nuclear waste train wreck. Are the resetting continuity with issue numbers and starting everything over? Really? All the cool stories and underlying plots building for years are gone?

I am so glad I stopped buying mothlies last year. I don't miss them even a little. I'll pick up an occasional collected trade, but I don't have the stomach to get involved in 52 new titles re-launching. I am intrigued somewhat by the Johns/Lee combo, but the one piece of art released, that should build a steroid-infused inferno of hype and awesomeness, is just...blah and has priest collars.

Scott
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

SURPRISE!

No, not really.

Don C.

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

Goodbye Jason, Tim and Damian... Dick back in your speedos?
                            Do you really think so?

I don't watch sales figures but I thought books like Batgirl and Red Robin were doing pretty well right now. I can't see the slate being wiped clean on those.

I'm with Bat, I'd almost rather see them do a Byrne-type reboot. Take the first 4 to 6 issues to set the stage or as a primer for the character (although even I don't want to see another Superman origin story at this point) and then move on.

Will Teen Titans be Dick, Donna, Wally, Vic, Logan, Starfire and the new Aqualad?

Also, what creators will be working on which books?

Will there be a JSA, or will they once again be the comic book characters of this continuity?

I hope the Shazam kids don't stick, but since Johns created them or retooled them, i bet they will.

I really hope DC put a ton of thought into this. But they have probably been working on it since late 2009 early 2010, when it became apparent that a lot of plans had been taken off the board — Kid Flash series and Speed Force series being axed, Batwoman series but on indefinite hold, allowing JMS to drop Wonder Woman and Superman. Heck he may be back to writing those books come September. He should have had time to finish writing Superman Earth One Vol 2.

While I don't know if I like this, I am interested.
                            Last edited by madmarva; May 31, '11, 7:03 PM.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

Hmmm....Same day digital means nothing to me....not ready to make the switch.

Renumbering everything? Meh....It's been done before so no big deal BUT I am a stickler for the legacy numbering on books that have a pedigree like Action and Detective so I'm not too happy about that...

A new continuity? To tell the truth DC continuity has sucked for awhile now...too many reboots in a short period of time, with each "event" book promising to fix the status quo, only to disappoint again and again...

Jim Lee and Geoff Johns on JLA? Sounds good on paper but I'm wondering how many issues need to be in the can before they solicit or before Lee OR Johns start dropping the ball. Neither one is the poster boy for deadlines when they have too much on their plate. And Jim Lee's costume design skills have left much to be desired lately IMO. The new JLA doesn't do much for me and wasn't he the one who just redesigned Wonder Woman with the pants?

I think I'm getting too old for comics...
                              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎