X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

trying to find an old model kit

ok I am looking for an old model kit I used to have. I do not recall that many details and I could possibly be remembering it slightly wrong, but back in 1985 or 86 I had I had this space ship model kit that I would love to find again. I also know that I bought it originally at KayBee toys (if that helps)

1.I think the thing had "alien" in the name, BUT it was not tied into in any sort of way the film series.

2. The ship consisted of two sort of smaller ships that could b joined to make one slightly bigger one

3. It was not Japanese

4. The smaller ship looked almost like the US space shuttle. However the ship was black and the windows were red. I also seem to recall some sort of wiring to make the windows light up

5. The other ship sort of looked like a Cobra hiss tank from G.I.Joe. It too was black with red windows and the middle (or center) of it was hollow so the shuttle ship could fit inside it

Any help would be much appreciated
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

This is the closest thing I could find. Sound like at least part of what you describe.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SPACE-Alien-Inva...item2eafb388c6

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

great way for Revell to cash in on those shuttle molds.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by magyar1964
        This is the closest thing I could find. Sound like at least part of what you describe.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/SPACE-Alien-Inva...item2eafb388c6

HOLY CHRIST that is it!!! Wow 1979... I definitely bought it (well Mom) in the mid 80's, unless at that point they took the original mold and added to it, as I do remember a spaceship like hanger thing it could merge into ahh it doesn't matter, I now have name and at least one part of it

This board has never failed me, thank you so much!!!
        Last edited by mazinz; May 22, '11, 9:32 PM.

Comment

• AcroRay
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 17, 2005

There was a similar kit I believe was designed by Gerry Anderson, that seems to recollect your memory of the hanger thing it could merge with. It was a large cross between a shuttle and a Space: 1999 Eagle, with a cargo-pod/headquarters and a couple of fighters that could link to it. It was an elaborate snap-kit. D4mned if I can't recall what it was called. "Explorer 1" or somesuch...

I had both of these kits when I was little. They were great fun. The 'evil shuttle' looked great at night.
          Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
          AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
          The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
          Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• tay666
            Career Member
            • Dec 27, 2008

It is possible that kit was still sitting on the shelves in the mid 80's also.
            Lots of kits used to sit on the shelves for years before being sold.

I know I was buying 71 issue Prehistoric Scenes kits of the shelves of the local toy store in 1976.

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by AcroRay
              There was a similar kit I believe was designed by Gerry Anderson, that seems to recollect your memory of the hanger thing it could merge with. It was a large cross between a shuttle and a Space: 1999 Eagle, with a cargo-pod/headquarters and a couple of fighters that could link to it. It was an elaborate snap-kit. D4mned if I can't recall what it was called. "Explorer 1" or somesuch...

I had both of these kits when I was little. They were great fun. The 'evil shuttle' looked great at night.
              I am pretty sure it was nothing from Gerry Anderson or any relation to his shows. However for the explorer was this the one you were thinking of? The version of the kit I seem to recall I know just had the shuttle and the odd flying base thing. The base was also a bit taller than the actual shuttle if memory serves correct (then again I could be wrong)

GERRY ANDERSON ITC UFO SHADO MOBILE JAPAN THUNDERBIRDS | eBay

Originally posted by tay666
              It is possible that kit was still sitting on the shelves in the mid 80's also.
              Lots of kits used to sit on the shelves for years before being sold.

I know I was buying 71 issue Prehistoric Scenes kits of the shelves of the local toy store in 1976.

If it was old stock then kaybees either stock room or distributor still had them on hand. I know that I saw it there twice both in the 80's, but it was not always on the shelf since I always seemed to stop in that place like every Monday or Tuesday. Either way I found one from a seller not too far from me (Ebay) with shrink wrap for 39$ so I snagged it. I am going to be putting this thing together when it comes in

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎