X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1977 Johnny's Toys Catalog

Located in Kentucky, Johnny's Toys was one of those independant Toy retailers you sorely miss in this day and age. The store was very customer friendly, sending children birthday cards that contained a key that could unlock a free gift on their next visit. In addition, they printed these fun catalogs that showcased some of the merchandise available in the store.

1977 was a fantastic year for Kentucky Ohio area kids as evidenced by the samples of these fun pages which include all the hot toys of the time like Mego Batman, Star Trek, G.I. Joe, SWAT, Six Million Dollar Man and much more.

Click on the images below to see larger pages with descriptions:

1977 Johnny's Toys Catalog

Other Toy Flyers and Circulars:
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Wow! I never heard of Johnny's but it looked like a fun place to get toys! I saw a lot of my faves in there. That Drowsy doll hung in there a long time. This was a 1977 catalog, and I got my first Drowsy in '69 or '70.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• mego73
      Printed paperboard Tiger
      • Aug 1, 2003

I love how they use pics of T1 Trek figures and RC Batman.

little 1977 kid with the circular "But it looks like you can take the mask off the Batman in the picture..."

Love looking at these.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

How awesome. I'd have loved to have been able to go into one back then.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that's my childhood ecapsulated in black and white.

I never went to Johnny's Toys as a kid, despite the fairly close proximity. I think they must have advertised more in Northern Kentucky and up into the Cincinnati area.

I think I heard about it here, and too the kids about a year and a half ago. Sadly, they were phasing out their toys and going to an indoor playground/Chuck E. Cheese type establishment. My kids signed up and got the birthday key thing though. I'm guessing they phased that out too...

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

I don't know Johnny's Toys, but I love the catalog pages. It's great to see the Ventriloquist assortment--always was a fan of Charlie & Mortimer, but, then again, I was born old.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
              Career Member
              • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              Wow, that's my childhood ecapsulated in black and white.

I never went to Johnny's Toys as a kid, despite the fairly close proximity. I think they must have advertised more in Northern Kentucky and up into the Cincinnati area.

I think I heard about it here, and too the kids about a year and a half ago. Sadly, they were phasing out their toys and going to an indoor playground/Chuck E. Cheese type establishment. My kids signed up and got the birthday key thing though. I'm guessing they phased that out too...

Chris

I agree with you Chris. Johnny's must have been more of a northern KY store. We always shoped in the southern part and never saw any Johnnys stores in that area. Too bad. Looks like a great place. Sorta reminds me of Rose's department stores from back then. That's were my first RM Batman came from.
              Bob

Comment

• actjac01
                Veteran Member
                • May 17, 2009

OMG... Johnny's Toys was awesome!!!
                I was very fortunate to live in northern Kentucky (just south of Covington, KY) during the 70's, and a trip to Johnny's Toyshop was an absolute treat! I can't remember how many times I BEGGED my mom and /or dad (mostly mom) to take me there. I do remember a couple of trips we made after I had a very good visit to the doctor's office. Got some great GIjoe accessories that way!

2 FLOORS OF TOYS (I recall the second floor having mostly bicycles.)

And the KEY! THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER! It was stuck to the card with that same gummy adhesive they used for credit card & ATM cards today.
                Yeah..., you would give the salesgirl the key, and she would 'magically' open the door to this 'castle-like' entrance, just inside on the right side of the store, and you got to pick out one free pre-wrapped gift. The boy ones were on one side and the girl ones were on the other.

We moved west in the late seventies. Always wondered what happened to that place.

Great childhood memory!
                "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎