Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody else here NOT play video games?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I don't think it is at all weird for people of our generation not to have played video games or not be into them. We all have our own interests and to each their own. Video games for a lot of us are just as intrinsic to our childhoods as action figures and toys. It's that same wonderful sense of nostalgia and play.

I do disagree with the negative generalizations and stereotypes of video games of being uncreative and bad for kids. BTW: Get a kid a Kinect for their 360 and they will be plenty active playing their games.

Some people watch TV shows and sports to unwind and relax and others play video games. I personally watch very little TV. But I loves my games.
    Last edited by Werewolf; May 17, '11, 6:38 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Even though I have an Atari 2600 and 180 games for it, since I moved in this house and got a toy room, I don't play them anymore. Even kids who are totally stuck on them, don't care once they get to my house and see my toyroom.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

I love video games but enjoy real machines to home systems. I love older games for a lot of the same reasons I love old comics: they are still fun and unchanged since the first time I enjoyed them.

Comment

• jimsmegos
          Mego Dork
          • Nov 9, 2008

Last games i really enjoyed were Earthworm Jim and Donkey Kong Country for the Nintendo 64. After that I just didn't care to keep as controllers kept getting more complex. I like; button shoot, joystick move... nice and easy linear adventure!

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jimsmegos
            After that I just didn't care to keep as controllers kept getting more complex.
            Controllers really aren't getting more complex.

While the Atari 2600 only had 1 button, most vintage consoles had way more. The Colecovision had 14 buttons, the Intellivision had 16 buttons and the Atari 5200 had 19. Heck, the Magnavox Odyssey 2 had a full key board.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Adam West
              Museum CPA
              • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by VintageMike
              I love video games but enjoy real machines to home systems. I love older games for a lot of the same reasons I love old comics: they are still fun and unchanged since the first time I enjoyed them.
              One other thing about older video games such as Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Pinball, etc. There really is no beating the game (unless you are Steve Wiebe or Billy Mitchell). I know some games have no end as well but many of them have an end to them and then what? Sell them to Game Stop for another game.

I have tried Age of Empires a few times and loved it. It is a great game but takes hours and hours to play. There is only so much free time in a day, week, month and we all allocate our free time to things we personally enjoy. I like video games but just enjoy reading more.
              "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
              ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 12, 2004

I sometimes think I'm the only person of my generation that has never played video games. Seriously, PONG was the first and last game I played.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

No video games for me--I read & draw.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                    • Jan 22, 2008

I've been addicted to call of duty for last few years, but just quit cold turkey in February. I got netflix and started watching alot of documentaries. Now the PSN is down so not missing much I guess.
                    Last edited by 4NDR01D; May 19, '11, 4:59 PM.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                      WANTED for card bending
                      • Apr 26, 2008

Proud Vidiot since 1970's! I have every game system (save for Vectrex ,Spectrum, fairchild and Oddessy2 which i was forced to sell) but still have the rest of them and large libraries for all of them! Games are awesome!!!! Some guys and gals don't play them and that's just fine by me. Different strokes for different folks!

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by bizzaro megomauler
                        Proud Vidiot since 1970's! I have every game system (save for Vectrex ,Spectrum, fairchild and Oddessy2 which i was forced to sell) but still have the rest of them and large libraries for all of them!
                        That is wicked cool! I've been meaning to get an Odyssey 2 for ages. I've always wanted to play KC Munchkin. I love hunting down all the versions of Pac-Man and Pac-Man clones.

Comment

• torgospizza
                          Theocrat of Pan Tang
                          • Aug 19, 2010

I really haven't played anything since WoW's Wrath of the Lich King xpac came out, so like late 2008 or early 2009. No, that's not true: I've played Guitar Hero maybe twenty times since then.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                            WANTED for card bending
                            • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            That is wicked cool! I've been meaning to get an Odyssey 2 for ages. I've always wanted to play KC Munchkin. I love hunting down all the versions of Pac-Man and Pac-Man clones.
                            UGH! i sold my Oddessy, and KC was one of the games with it! i actually posted it here first though you guys get first dibs on all my toys!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Werewolf

I do disagree with the negative generalizations and stereotypes of video games of being uncreative and bad for kids. BTW: Get a kid a Kinect for their 360 and they will be plenty active playing their games.

Some people watch TV shows and sports to unwind and relax and others play video games. I personally watch very little TV. But I loves my games.
                              Or get the kids the Professor Layton series if they've got a DS. Heck,look how many DS games there are that you need to use your brain more than you would for other games.

Comment

• Adam West
                                Museum CPA
                                • Apr 14, 2003

My two sons love Runescape for some reason. I only understand the game at an "Elementary" level and it looks like a quasi version of "Age of Empires" to me. I have overheard them talk about buying something at "x" price and selling it a "y" price and it presents a good opportunity for me to talk to them about basic supply and demand and real world economics. My older son has asked a lot of good questions about gas prices so it has been a good door for me to explain some pretty complicated stuff in terms both of them can understand.
                                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎