Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else remember those cheapo plastic vehicles?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toiletmonkey
    Museum Super Collector
    • Apr 28, 2010

anyone else remember those cheapo plastic vehicles?

I seem to remember every year around summer time, you could go to the department stores and find these cheapo plastic vehicles like boats, jeeps, planes and jets that were scaled for 3 3/4 inch and 6-8 inch action figures. and they would be cheap too like a buck or two a piece. why did they stop doing that? i remember i could get a jet fighter and jeep for my gijoes at a fraction of the cost of an actual gijoe product. if it were not for those i wouldnt of had any vehicles for my action figures. my parents were cheap i was only gonna get a gijoe vehicle for my birthday or christmas. anyone still see em?

TM
    Think of what you want to be...Then call on me.
    -Action Jackson
  • david_b
    Never had enough toys..
    • May 9, 2008

I remember in the early 70s, not having any vehicles for my couple of GI Joes (my parents didn't buy much for me either..), so I used a cheap plastic green snowmobile for my guys.

It looked kinda dumb, and they wouldn't stay on too well, but it worked somewhat. I would have LOVED either an ATV or a AT Helicopter..

I couldn't quite see my 'at that time' new RC Batman and Robin using that green snowmobile much..

david_b
    Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 10, 2006

Yes i remember these being sold at K-MART in the early to mid 70s, i had a white plastic Corvette which became Capt America's car

Comment

• toiletmonkey
        Museum Super Collector
        • Apr 28, 2010

yep, K-mart is where i remember see'in them the most, of course in the 70's and 80's K-mart was really the only game in town for most people. there didnt used to be a walmart on every corner i really miss those cheapo jet fighters though. i had 3 of them and a jeep and a helicopter. you could beat the heck out of them and they never broke? fun toys for sure.

TM
        -Action Jackson

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I remember a "Toys N Wheels" store in the late eighties that had a wall of cheap plastic helicopters, each one had a mego 3 3/4" Luke Duke twist tied into it. Must have been some overs from some factory some where.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

You still see these at Wal-Mart, Target, etc, especially in the summer. Most are scaled for 3 3/4" figures now. I had some larger ones for my Megos in the late 70s/early 80s, and then RAH size in the 80s.

I recall one particular brand that I think was called "Laser Force". Pretty good vehicles for cheapies. I seem to recall the Super Powers figures would even fit in them. I recall having a jet with an orange canopy and a laser-mounted tank-like thing.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• toiletmonkey
              Museum Super Collector
              • Apr 28, 2010

i had a blue laser force F-16 w/orange cockpit cover, if remember right it came with a sheet of stickers to add to the plane. and ones that you could (i guess?) stick on your shirt ones that said like GENERAL, MAJOR...you know, ranks and some ribbons? cool little touch for a cheapo plane.

TM
              -Action Jackson

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

There is that generic military line that Toys R Us stocks that has compatible vehicles to both 3 3/4" and 12" GI Joes that are generally less expensive.

My brother's been using those as customs fodder for his RAH Joes.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I can remember TONS of them when I was a kid.... including a fair assortment of Mego 8" scaled ones.

Don C.

Comment

• mazinz
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 2, 2007

I remember a lot of these, but mostly the car/sports car type. Usually with the one or two pieces of colored plastic. I really gave those no thought at all until I read the post and was like
                    "wow, yeah I have not seen things like them in many years"
                    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• AAAAA
                      Permanent Member
                      • Oct 28, 2005

ah bin toys! Got to love'em!

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                        Persistent Member
                        • Oct 3, 2007

We would call them beach toys. Because when I was young we would vacation at a lake in central PA. They were made by companies like "Gay toys" or "Processed Plastics inc." Now they are made by "American Plastics". You can find em at Big lots or Wallymart. The company ships them in a big boxe and the retailor has only to remove a perferated piece to turn the box into a display/bin. Now a days the design of these toys looks more Playskool-ish as opposed to the realism past versions tried to achieve.
                        Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                        MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• callistofreak
                          Who stole my stuff !!!
                          • Jul 1, 2006

Yep,
                          I remember those they were always on the bottom shelf.
                          The few I bought did'nt last long.
                          They burned GREAT !!!
                          I just could'nt help it. LOL.
                          sigpicWho stole my stuff !!!

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                            Persistent Member
                            • Oct 3, 2007

Here ya go. The school bus is in scale with 5-6 Little Megos. The goofy vehicles arent fit for any figure and look kinda "PlaySkool" -ish.
                            BIG LOTS summer toy display
                            Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                            MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• Big Jim of Georgia
                              • Jan 21, 2011

Look on ebay under Gay Toys (company) and processed plastic. if you want to see the plastic ones from the 70a. The little army truck that came with the bag of army soldiers go fo twenty dollars and up.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎