Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

Sorry man, I went to art school, even I have standards.

Makes me think of Chris Burden or warhol. Art was a joke to Warhol as well.
    Last edited by TrueDave; Jul 18, '11, 9:03 PM.

Comment

• SeattleEd
      SynthoRes Transmigrator
      • Oct 24, 2007

Latest drop:

"This is gonna be a new way that Suckadelic is gonna present and sell it's figs into 2012, in 3 character series based off a motif. First on off in SPACE NECROMANCER.

Quality is gone up on these, wet up with MONSTER COLOR airbrush paints and made up of a ****-load of parts.

Sold as a set of 3. No cherry Picking cheapskate!"

$200 for the set.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Last edited by samurainoir; Oct 14, '11, 8:02 PM.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

MONSTER KOLOR SUCKATOR 1 by SUCKADELIC

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

I just finished watching the first episode of Work of Art, and oh boy was it art school all over again for me. With all the pretentiousness and pettiness that always accompanies judged competition of this nature. Not to mention the added layer of edited manipulation of the television medium.

It's pretty obviously Sucklord is a ratings ringer (pun intended for those who saw the episode) brought in to challenge the art world he is both already opposed to and embraced by. Out of all of them, he's made his mark on the New York art scene (and around the country and abroad), gets gallery shows and already makes a living selling his art. He even got the cover of the Village Voice.

Even though the critics savage him, the studio mentor already admits to knowing The Sucklord and even having auctioned some of his art. The beating to his ego aside, Sucklord's exactly where he needs to be on this show and this exposure (albeit seemingly negative) can only make him more successful in the long run given that as with much the art world, it's as much about the cult of personality. As he says... he's a Villain and he Sucks. Pretty much consistently on message with his already existing marketing as CEO of Suckadelic Enterprises (as his subtitle says... contrasted with others who are "High School Art Teacher" or "Art Assistant")

The big question for me is, why isn't he suiting up in his Sucklord Gear? The teaser shows him getting more surly and confrontational in later episodes.
            Last edited by samurainoir; Oct 16, '11, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

You can watch Work of Art Season 2 online here at the Bravo website
              Episodes - Work of Art Season 2 - Bravo TV Official Site

Comment

• spacecaps
                Second Mouse
                • Aug 24, 2011

I never heard of these before until now so I went to the website, looked over all the inventory and just don't get the point of these toys...
                "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

It's hard core art school flashback for sure. Art makes for an awkward fit in the reality competition genre, harder than food or fashion.

He choked on the challenge, though, I was surprised. Like he said, not enough sarcasm or message. Anyway, he'll make for some interesting viewing, and he'll just sell more toys.

Originally posted by samurainoir
                  I just finished watching the first episode of Work of Art, and oh boy was it art school all over again for me. With all the pretentiousness and pettiness that always accompanies judged competition of this nature. Not to mention the added layer of edited manipulation of the television medium.

It's pretty obviously Sucklord is a ratings ringer (pun intended for those who saw the episode) brought in to challenge the art world he is both already opposed to and embraced by. Out of all of them, he's made his mark on the New York art scene (and around the country and abroad), gets gallery shows and already makes a living selling his art. He even got the cover of the Village Voice

Even though the critics savage him, the studio mentor already admits to knowing The Sucklord and even having auctioned some of his art. The beating to his ego aside, Sucklord's exactly where he needs to be on this show and this exposure (albeit seemingly negative) can only make him more successful in the long run given that as with much the art world, it's as much about the cult of personality. As he says... he's a Villain and he Sucks. Pretty much consistently on message with his already existing marketing as CEO of Suckadelic Enterprises (as his subtitle says... contrasted with others who are "High School Art Teacher" or "Art Assistant")

The big question for me is, why isn't he suiting up in his Sucklord Gear? The teaser shows him getting more surly and confrontational in later episodes.
                  This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by MegoScott
                    He choked on the challenge, though, I was surprised. Like he said, not enough sarcasm or message. Anyway, he'll make for some interesting viewing, and he'll just sell more toys.
                    He really did given what folks probably already know about his existing body of work. He seemed to have a way too precious view on the original (rather than transforming it), and it even lacked his usual self deprecating tone. He didn't even try to defend the merits of the original work as much as he should have by being so beholden to it. I'm surprised he didn't go the action figure/packaging route, although he might have been at a disadvantage knowing how time consuming making molds and casting are. Not having his usually stock pile of existing action figure body parts probably didn't help either.

Surprising that he didn't add his usual pimp or gangsta accessories to Gandalf. I'd guess it's also hard to create that sense of commodifying junk culture within the context of a non-commercial gallery. Much of his message and style has been all about the selling of remixed junk culture... which is much more obvious within a Soho gallery show that actually sells the work on display.
                    Last edited by samurainoir; Oct 16, '11, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

The Suckadelic Era - Page 2 - News - New York - Village Voice

Comment

• megoscott
                        Founding Partner
                        • Nov 17, 2006

Sucklord used some EMCE Female bodies this week!

This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• timb
                          Will Draw for Toys
                          • May 1, 2009

What does he make these out of?

Comment

• SeattleEd
                            SynthoRes Transmigrator
                            • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by MegoScott
                            Sucklord used some EMCE Female bodies this week!

http://dailyplateofcrazy.com/wp-cont...rt-300x215.jpg
                            Sweet!

Looks like the 8" Mego bit him now.
                            I showed him my custom Mego SalarayStak and he really liked it. I told him about the Museum so he must be lurking on here.
                            I was hoping he would delve more in the 8" format or maybe have BBP release some of his characters in 8" format limited edition complete with artwork.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                              SynthoRes Transmigrator
                              • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by timb
                              What does he make these out of?
                              Those look like resin. He just does straight i, 2 or 3 piece molds of objects but his stuff has been getting elaborate lately. Needs to pull back the throttle and go back ghetto bootleg style.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                                • Oct 24, 2007

Also, if any of you guys are in Pasadena, Ca Nov 5th, DesignerCon is happening. He will be there with new drops.

If anyone is going, PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎