Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thundarr
    Banned
    • Apr 23, 2007

Not a fan myself, never cared for my brother's Big Jim figures..maybe the rubbery "skin" creeped me out. I DO though have the Camper set. It's got the canoe, some dishes, a seat, the awning and post, an oar, a vest, and a few more things. It's not COMPLETE, but the vinyl body itself is EXCELLENT...looks like the kid never even touched it at all. I'd love to trade it for something(s)....I have zero interest in it, but it sure is a great vintage set...

Joe

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

I collect Big Jim!

When I was a kid, all I had was Big Jack (black guy), and he'd team up w/ Action Jackson sometimes. I now have several figures: 2 Big Jims, Big Jack, Big Jeff, Big Josh, Dr. Steel, (had to give him hand sugery, no more steel), The Whip (renamed Big John, isn't it funny they never had one?),& Warpath, (renamed Blackhawk). I also have the camper set (minus the boat) and the camping tent, along w/ various clothing and accessories. I even have the paper dolls and the coloring book!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Thundarr
        Banned
        • Apr 23, 2007

I wanted to share this, since I rarely see a Big Jim topic here. My girl and I always are lookin' at toys...old, new, whatever. Anyhow, I was showing her a Big Jim page, so she'd know what to look for at yard sales and whatnot. Now, before I say this next thing, I want to make a disclaimer that this query was by NO means meant to be offensive...and that my girl and I are both VERY open minded, and she is involved in the community...via MANY friends. Let me get to the point..
        Upon seeing the page, and the dolls posed around a camp, driving, hanging out, etc, she looks at me and says, with all sincerity:

"Oh how COOL! Thats SO awesome of Mattel! I knew the 1970s were progressive, but I didn't know they made an ALL GAY line...."

She HONESTLY thought that...lol...And her reasonings actually aren't bad...I mean, again, I'm NOT trying to stereotype here, but c'mon....the toys and the pictures speak volumes. She took particular note of Jim's headsculpt, and the fact that they are often depicted shirtless...no women mind you...frolicking around a faux campfire or "jeeping". I never would have thought of that before she made her comments...lol...I always thought they were a bore as a kid, camping and riding in a buggy really weren't or aren't my thing, but g a y? I never even noticed but I believe she's right...
        Just our three cents..

Joe

Comment

• DocDrako
          Formerly Doc Drako
          • Nov 11, 2004

My brother had quite a few Big Jim toys. I think it was his favorite. I remember when he got Dr Steel. I thought Dr Steel was so cool. I never had one until eBay came along. I bought Dr Steel and then a Big Jim, but then I lost interest. I'll probably keep my Dr Steel forever. But I have no interest right now in aquiring anymore Big Jim figures. Maybe someday.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• brineb
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 26, 2006

I had one Big Jim, red undies and karate chop action arm ... I still have him, but he is too out of scale for me. I like full-size G.I. Joe and Mego!!!

I have always wanted the P.A.C.K. guys and may one day break down and get them!!!
            I also play with other dolls:
            http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• garagesale
              Dept. of Mego Studies
              • Aug 8, 2006

Big Jim g@y connection

Originally posted by Thundarr
              "Oh how COOL! Thats SO awesome of Mattel! I knew the 1970s were progressive, but I didn't know they made an ALL GAY line...."
              Joe
              It is definitely easy to come to what we call in literary criticism a "queer theory" interpretation of Big Jim (BJ), not unlike some have done with Batman and Robin or with Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club characters.

Perhaps we are into the realm of politics, but I'll continue anyhow...

I agree with Joe, and I think there is nothing wrong with this, as it's merely an interpretation. Certainly, there have been customizers who have brought emphasized the gay connection by creating Village People groups out of Big Jim kitbashes.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Thundarr

She HONESTLY thought that...lol...And her reasonings actually aren't bad...I mean, again, I'm NOT trying to stereotype here, but c'mon....the toys and the pictures speak volumes. She took particular note of Jim's headsculpt, and the fact that they are often depicted shirtless...no women mind you...frolicking around a faux campfire or "jeeping". I never would have thought of that before she made her comments...lol...I always thought they were a bore as a kid, camping and riding in a buggy really weren't or aren't my thing, but g a y? I never even noticed but I believe she's right...
                Just our three cents..

Joe
                Funny I never once thought of this as a kid.... Camping was really Big in the 70's I was Heavy into it I went Camping with the Boy Scouts and with My Family so having an Action figure that did that seemed normal....same with the Karate gear my Babysitters Boyfriend was a Black belt and the Kung Fu Craze was huge thanks to Bruce Lee.Also Bodybuilding was hot also with Arnold having his legendary run with Mr.Olympia having Big Jim in the speedos was like the bodybuilders.

When the Wolf Pack came out Big Jim really hit it's stride and for me it put it over the top also as a Boy I didn't care and was glad there was no females I felt the Figures were an All boys thing any way......

I've Heard that perception of Big Jim before I never cared for it because it wasn't meant to be that.

Comment

• saildog
                  Permanent Member
                  • Apr 9, 2006

Many things in pop-culture are now being interpreted in ways that differ from the creator's intent. I think garagesale and others on this board are more equipped to comment on it than I am, but I believe it falls under a category of post-modern criticism known as "Deconstruction".

Finally, the term is used in pop-culture criticism to refer to a story (novel, film, etc.) which presents a well-known concept or plot in a way which intentionally reverses or subverts the common elements of the original, with the intention of laying bare the underlying assumptions in it.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

bump
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                      MeGoing
                      • May 14, 2003

At Kingdom Warrior's request...

I am posting a picture of my recently finished Dr Steel custom here...

Cat

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Man this is getting too heavy into other realms...I just liked Big Jim as a kid because he had the cool karate chopping action.
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                          Man this is getting too heavy into other realms...I just liked Big Jim as a kid because he had the cool karate chopping action.
                          Yeah me too! .........Cat Thanks for Posting your Custom here! It's a Beauty!

Comment

• LadyZod
                            Superman's Gal Pal
                            • Jan 27, 2007

I myself am a big Big Jim fan. I gravitate towards the earlier sports related stuff, while my husband would rather the P.A.C.K spy stuff. Since I'm the one searching and buying, he's kinda stuck with my choices. All kidding aside, I'm slowing inching my collection towards the P.A.C.K, The Whip being my favorite.

Heck, I've even added a Sport & Shave Ken to my collection since they reused the muscle arms for that figure. (Proportions are way off, hair included.)

That is a fantastic Dr Steel, Cat. Are you working on any others? Might I suggest, The Whip?
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                            Check out my art:
                            Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                            Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by LadyZod
                              I myself am a big Big Jim fan. I gravitate towards the earlier sports related stuff, while my husband would rather the P.A.C.K spy stuff. Since I'm the one searching and buying, he's kinda stuck with my choices. All kidding aside, I'm slowing inching my collection towards the P.A.C.K, The Whip being my favorite.

Heck, I've even added a Sport & Shave Ken to my collection since they reused the muscle arms for that figure. (Proportions are way off, hair included.)

That is a fantastic Dr Steel, Cat. Are you working on any others? Might I suggest, The Whip?
                              Wow a Sport & Shave Ken does that bring back memories my sister had that and I use to play with it lol! .....Yes I think Cat is on to something it would be nice if she just went for broke and made The Wolf Pack Mego sized...of course then I would need a Bib to wipe my Drool! lol!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                                MeGoing
                                • May 14, 2003

:o :9: Cute Icons...even a little Aussie fly-repelling hat in there!

Thanks for your kind words, but no, I am not planning on doing anymore. I had the PACK set, as a grown up but let 'em go as I was always more of a classic Big Jim gal...and Dr Steel was one of the very first ones...way before PACK was even dreamed up. I have to love 'em to make 'em....

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎