Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Back to the Future"; Is it me, or do the sequels suck?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

the second was okay....I don't know if i have ever even made it through the whole 3rd movie. was just watchgin part one this past weekend. great movie, still holds up really well

Comment

• toysrus
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 23, 2007

1 & 2 were awesome! Anything after watchable, but doesnt seem to have the feel to it.

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
        Web Wobbler
        • May 12, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        the second was okay....I don't know if i have ever even made it through the whole 3rd movie. was just watchgin part one this past weekend. great movie, still holds up really well
        I don't think I've successfully completed the third movie. Love the first two.
        Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
        Good Trader List

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

In their day I loved the first one, hated the second one, and thought the third installment was pretty good. These days I can only tolerate the first one. That remains a classic. The other two are barely watchable. A lot of it has to do with the fact the concepts about the "future" are pretty bland and tame by today's standards.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
            WANTED for card bending
            • Apr 26, 2008

I like all 3 films, and absolutely LOVE the third one. the second one is the so so one for me.

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by Brazoo
              Sandy, (or anyone on here who might know), did the lead refrigerator nuclear test site gag that was used in Indy 4 originally come from an early draft of BTTF?

According to stuff I've read online it seems like the first idea for the return trip "back" involved putting Marty into a time machine/fridge and getting it hit with a nuke.
              I enjoyed all three but I like the first best.

The early drafts of BTTF did have Doc and Marty work out getting back to his time by getting the energy from a nuke test in the mock up town (it's shown storyboarded in the blu ray extras) but if I remember correctly, it involved him driving the time machine through the mock up town when the nuke went off and didn't involve a lead lined fridge.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

2 and 3 sucked Monkey Butt.....the first one is classic

Comment

• darklord1967
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 27, 2008

My second favorite movie saga behind STAR WARS is the BACK TO THE FUTURE film series.

For over 20 years, I have loved all 3 of those films... and each for different reasons.

BACK TO THE FUTURE: For me, this first film was all about novelty. It was so much fun being introduced to Marty McFly, Jennifer, George, Lorraine, Doc Emmett Brown... Experiencing time travel for the first time in the fantastic DeLorean... And, of course, the cleverness of the script was unlike anything we had ever seen. Marty accidentally launching himself to the year 1955, meeting his parents as teenagers, and in the process threatening his very existence... All of it was brilliant!

BACK TO THE FUTURE Part 2: After the success of the first film, I was definitely pumped for the sequel. For me, it did not disappoint. The production design for the year 2015 was a lot of fun, and it was GREAT to have an adventure in the future (albiet a "future" from a 1985 perspective). Admittedly, some of the more comical plot points in the year 2015 were a bit silly. But for the most part, I really enjoyed the more complex (though flawed) explorations of time-travel anomolies and paradoxes. Also, the overall darker tone of this film gave it a sense of menace and danger that I really liked, because I really felt that our heroes were in jeapordy in a way that I did not feel in the first film. I thought that the visitation of the previous film from a different perspective was a very clever and inspired idea while the storyline of part 2 played out. And making the central villain Biff Tannen the un-witting crux of everything that goes wrong for our heroes in this episode was a logical (and narratively classical) move that was not even explored in the first film. As a bonus, we get an awesome cliffhanger ending.

BACK TO THE FUTURE Part 3: I've never much cared for westerns. Nevertheless, it was really interesting to me to see these particular characters placed in that type of a setting. This film brilliantly opens with a twist on the set-up motivation established in the first film: Doctor Emmet Brown is murdered, and time-traveler Marty McFly must set it right by travelling back to the old West and rescuing his friend before the killing can occur. Of course, a lawless homicidal version of Biff Tannen (in the personage of his ancestor Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen) added another dimension of danger to the whole story of the Tannen bloodline causing so much strife for Doc and Marty. One thing I found intriguing was the way that Doc Brown seemed so strangely at home in that time period, and oddly enough, Marty as well. But at it's core, this film is a romance. And it was one that I found to be well-written, heartfelt, and at times quite poignant and beautiful. The chemistry between Christopher Lloyd and Mary Steenbergen was perfect. Just like Doc Brown, Clara Clayton believably seemed like a woman who was perpetually out of her proper place... and time... perfect for our frantic and befuddled inventor / scientist. For me, BTTF III closes out the saga with one of the most exciting and satisfying endings that I can recall from just about any movie series.

At times, part of me has thought how nice it would be to have a 4th Back To The Future film. But, the truth is, I really don't think they should even tamper with the storyline of this classic series, or cheapen it by forcing in another film. For me, it's quite perfect the way it is... flaws and all.

Evidently, Robert Zemekis and Bob Gale agree because they have vehemently stated that the series as it exists will NEVER be tampered with or added to.
                  I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

As a huge fan and follower of great Westerns like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Red River, Open Range, Shane, High Noon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Unforgiven, The Wild Bunch, 3:10 to Yuma, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Once Upon a Time in the West, Stagecoach, Tombstone, A Fistful of Dollars, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Dances with Wolves, Hang 'Em High, and countless other Western classics...

...placing Back to the Future's Western storyline amongst all those real Western classics...is simply laughable at best.

Heck...The Three Amigos is a thousand times better Western than the Back to the Future 3 Western storyline.

Come on now...
                    sigpic

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                      To Fear is Not Logical...
                      • Feb 17, 2008

I like the third movie and also thought it was a nice conclusion to the trilogy. That said, 1 is the best for me followed by 3 and 2.
                      It's all good!

Comment

• BOTZWANA
                        spam
                        • May 28, 2009

My favorite part of part 3 is this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq5-6PkVGCg

I can´t watch it and not see this!

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by mego73
                          The early drafts of BTTF did have Doc and Marty work out getting back to his time by getting the energy from a nuke test in the mock up town (it's shown storyboarded in the blu ray extras) but if I remember correctly, it involved him driving the time machine through the mock up town when the nuke went off and didn't involve a lead lined fridge.

On the Wikipedia and IMDB pages they mention that Spielberg was concerned that kids would emulate Marty and become locked into old refrigerators, and then the nuclear test site idea was deemed too expensive.

I googled "fridge back the future" and found this too:
                          How Back To The Future Almost Nuked The Fridge | /Film

Which actually makes the same comparison I was thinking of. The Spielberg connection makes it plausible to me too. I guess only an early draft of the script could confirm it.

Comment

• Cmonster
                            Banned
                            • Feb 6, 2010

Originally posted by Brazoo
                            Spielberg was concerned that kids would emulate Marty and become locked into old refrigerators
                            Yeah. Just like he was concerned that FBI agents should not use guns while tracking down an alien life form, because kids were with it... Almost 20 years AFTER the fact! Though he quite hasn't gone "Lucas" with the tampering of his original films, he's ruined at least one.

Super interesting, relevant story; Years ago, when I was up North at the Lucas Ranch, getting approval on a bunch of toy sculpture prototypes, I was invited to a party that night. I was staying the night anyway and flying back the next day, so I went... At this party, I met some of the designers and concept artists that worked on the prequels. One of them (who shall remain nameless), whom I'd met before actually, told me that Spielberg had come up to visit George while they were in pre-production on Episode 1. He continued to say that while there, he overheard a conversation between Lucas and Spielberg in which Lucas was trying to convince Spielberg to re-do all of the shark sequences in "Jaws" with a CG shark, then re-release the film...

I believe it.

SC

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Cmonster
                              Yeah. Just like he was concerned that FBI agents should not use guns while tracking down an alien life form, because kids were with it... Almost 20 years AFTER the fact! Though he quite hasn't gone "Lucas" with the tampering of his original films, he's ruined at least one.
                              Yeah - that part sounds weird to me. He let Indy do it and not Marty? I guess there's a lot less old refrigerators lying around now though.

I almost seriously injured myself SEVERAL times emulating Indy, and I wouldn't change a thing!

Super interesting, relevant story; Years ago, when I was up North at the Lucas Ranch, getting approval on a bunch of toy sculpture prototypes, I was invited to a party that night. I was staying the night anyway and flying back the next day, so I went... At this party, I met some of the designers and concept artists that worked on the prequels. One of them (who shall remain nameless), whom I'd met before actually, told me that Spielberg had come up to visit George while they were in pre-production on Episode 1. He continued to say that while there, he overheard a conversation between Lucas and Spielberg in which Lucas was trying to convince Spielberg to re-do all of the shark sequences in "Jaws" with a CG shark, then re-release the film...

I believe it.

SC

Haha - amazing. That's almost like what you'd write for them to say if you were doing a parody of what Spielberg and Lucas sat around talking about!

And I totally believe it!

Comment

• toys2cool
                                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                                • Nov 27, 2006

Working on some Back to the Future customs for a Muzz Mem, so I decided to watch the film. Hadn't seen it in a long time, so I popped in the DVD and watched it for inspiration. Great movie... Definitely Zemeckis in his prime. However... When I watched the sequels, I didn't find them even half as good. They seem to get super silly and actually kinda dumb... Just me?

SC
                                no i feel the exact same way
                                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎