X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

Hey everyone,

It's great to see the ideas flowing and to hear people are already at work cooking up some cool stuff. Here's an update on how we expect the project to work. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

MEGO "re:IMAGINE!" 1978 Catalog Project: Project Timetable

We have needed to scale back our page count for the catalog supplement from 16 pages to 12 and set a limit of 60 toys total. Obviously, not every submission will be used in the final catalog, but all will be included in an online project gallery here at the Museum. Our goal is to create a cohesive, high quality catalog that authentically illustrates what might have been at Mego in 1978 and the showcase the creativity of Mego Museum customizers and artists.

Phase 1 — Brainstorming

This phase has already begun. Members are invited to continue to post product ideas. Recommendations are not necessary…it's gotta be something you can actually produce! If you want to see someone else's exquisite custom piece included, please ask them to post the item themselves. Photos of pre-existing or work-in-progress customs are encouraged, as they will give folks a visual idea of what you propose.

Phase 2 — Pitching to R&D:

On January 1, we will create a special new 1978 Forum. This is where formal submissions to the project will be made between January 1-February 17th. You may post as many submissions as you like at any time, but please use this format to enter them:

[Project/Concept Title]
    Author: [Your Name (Your MM ID)]
    Line: [Mego Line]
    Toy Execution (Vintage, Custom or Digital Art): [Choose One, or TBD]
    Packaging Execution (Custom or Digital Art): [Choose One, or TBD]
    Toy Customizers/Collaborators: [Choose One, or TBD]
    Packaging Customizers/Collaborators: [Choose One, or TBD]
    Author Notes: [Your inspiration or reason behind concept]

Phase 3: Choosing the Product Line:

During the Toy Fair week of February 18th-22nd (an historically accurate Toy Fair date!) submissions will be reviewed by the project team with input from some former Mego employees and 60 products will be chosen for inclusion to the catalog.

Phase 4: Catalog Creation

Chosen submissions must be mailed by March 1st to Benjamin Holcomb and Scott Adams, who will photograph the products and design a gorgeous, authentic catalog! Please note that creators will be asked to cover shipping (with insurance) costs both to and from California. In shooting photographs for Mego 8" Super-Heroes: World's Greatest Toys!, Benjamin handled literally thousands of beloved, rare toys, and not one toy was damaged… so rest assured your creations are in good hands.

This keepsake catalog will be distributed through MegoMuseum.com, at Mego Meet and at San Diego Comic-Con.

We look forward to your participation!

Sincerely,

The Mego Museum 1978 Project Team
    Brian, Scott, Dave and Benjamin
    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• mikeoz
      Mego Maker
      • Mar 9, 2007

Originally posted by Meule
      Might I suggest the following:

Wizard of Oz Miss Gulch on bike/Winged Monkey/Winkie Guard/Uncle Henry and Auntie Em/Farmhands
      Author: Thomas Meuleman (Meule)
      Line: Wizard of Oz
      Toy Execution (Vintage, Custom or Digital Art): Custom
      Packaging Execution (Custom or Digital Art): Custom
      Toy Customizers/Collaborators: Mikeoz
      Packaging Customizers/Collaborators: Mikeoz
      All these characters (and their boxes) have already been made
      Thomas, thanks for the nomination. I'd like to submit the above figures. I don't know for sure if the winged monkey will be completed in time (I'm making a more mego-like version), but the rest are finished.
      Looking for:
      Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by mikeoz
        Thomas, thanks for the nomination. I'd like to submit the above figures. I don't know for sure if the winged monkey will be completed in time (I'm making a more mego-like version), but the rest are finished.
        My pleasure, your customs are incredibly cool and deserve to be in the catalog. I've never been that interested in the WOZ line, but seeing your customs has changed that.
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

Here's a few suggestions:

Logan's Solar Hovercar
          Author: Johnmiic
          Line: Logan's Run TV Series
          Toy Execution: Custom 3D vehicle
          Packaging Execution: TBD
          Toy Customizers/Collaborators: Johnmiic
          Packaging Customizers/Collaborators: TBD
          Author Notes: I already have a prototype 2/3's built out of foamboard on a wood chasis. I just need to finish it.

Micronauts Endeavor Vehicle/Karrio Case
          Line: Micronauts
          Toy Execution: Custom 3d Mock-up or Model
          Author Notes: This Micronauts vehicle is inspired by the Marvel Comic of the same name. As a tie-in with the toy line the comic fleshed out the American storyline for the Micornauts. Even with their relationship with Marvel, Mego never considered making this hero vehicle. I propose a ship large enough to fit figures, the hydro-copter & astro-station component as the bridge but small enough a child could carry it around to play with it.

Pocket Heroes S.H.I.E.L.D. Hellicarrier Vehicle Playset/Figure Carrying Case
          Line: 3 & 3/4 inch Pocket Heroes
          Toy Execution: Custom 3D mock-up or model
          Packaging Execution:TBD
          Author Notes: A central base of operations for the Pocket Heroes which also transports them to the battlefront. It should have room for existing scale vehicles, ( Spider-Man pocket hero Spider-Car? Or The Batmobile-yes I know that's mixing DC and Marvel characters!). The flat-top also allows for planes and helicopters to land on it.

Planet of the Apes Icarus Spacecraft
          Line: POTA
          Author Notes: Most 8" vehicles were cars. This time Mego creates a space capsule. The famous ship that brings Virdon and Burke to the future & Zira, Cornelius and Dr. Milo to the past from POTA is finally released. Seats three 8" action figures.

Star Trek Adversary Bridge Playset
          Line: Star Trek
          Author Notes: As a companion piect to the Star Trek Enterprise Bridge, this design is a different shape and sports bad guy colors. Populate it with your 8" Mego Klingons, Romulans and assorted aliens. The shape and configuration will be different from the Enterprise Bridge.

SPACE:1999 Laser Tank
          Line: SPACE:1999
          Author Notes: A vehicle for their popular Space:1999 figures in the UK. Mego/Palitoy creates a moon vehicle for further adventures. There were 3 tanks on the TV show. The toy tank is modeled after this design:

A Mego/Palitoy version will sport wheels and not tank treads. The back 1/2 will be expanded as a laboratory component where action figures can be seated at workstations and exit via a rear door.
          Last edited by johnmiic; Dec 31, '07, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

Happy New Year everyone! January 1st has come and the 1978 Forum is now open for submissions!
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

The results are in! Visit the 1978 forum for details!

Comment

• MegoMark71
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 18, 2008

wow i feel like i am getting sucked into a black hole

Comment

• Scotty Irving
                  • Nov 18, 2013

Hello. WAY late on this. Just ordered a copy.

Comment

• Scotty Irving
                    • Nov 18, 2013

Still waiting on my copy! Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍