X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Big Wheels, Hot Cycles and Green Machines

Who had one of these as a kid? Well NOT me, for one. For some reason my younger brother got a Hot Cycle but I never did. I used to hate when we'd get together with my cousin because the 2 of them would pedal theirs all over the place and I'd stand there waiting for a turn.

I thought I'd get my chance when the Green Machine came out but I never got one of those either....but I still remember the commercial tagline:
    "8!9!10 years old! Old enough for...Green Machine! Woooo!"

Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

I went through SEVERAL Big Wheels and always preferred the originals with out the hand brake. Spinning them out was much more fun with the pedals and it seems like the hand brake was a cheesy way to allow the kids without mad spin out skillz to cheat the system.

My brother was 3 years older than I was, and I remember him being embarassed by me because even after I learned to ride a bike, I still went everywhere on my Big Wheel, at least through second grade.

I loved the sound of those beat up Big Wheel tires cruising along concrete sidewalks or pavement. Back when our streets were still "pebbly" pavement, those spin outs would tear through the tires in a matter of months.

Great memories that make me nostalgic for them. I know they made some adult sized metal trikes trying for the adult nostalgic market, but they should have tried to reproduce the plastic one in a "hardened" version. I would have been sorely tempted.

Comment

• megoat
      A Therefore Experience
      • Jun 10, 2003

I loved my big wheel as a kid. Was my main mode of transport when I was 3 or 4 years old (before I could ride a bike)....

I remember when I was in cub scouts when I was 10, we had the den meetings at my house. Anyway, while most of the kids would show up on their bikes (we were 9 and 10 for crying out loud), there was this one kid who'd show up on his Big Wheel. It was hilarious even then. The kid was way too old to be riding one, but it was still his method of getting around. Killer.

Comment

• hobub
        Ghost of a Dead Indian
        • Jun 18, 2001

I remember these well. I actually saw reminants of one (possibly mine) over the hill in the woods by my parents house a few years ago when my son and I went hiking. Very cool.

In case you don't know, there are examples of these at the Kruger Street Toy and Train Museum. Don't forget to bring your cameras!

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Never had any of these as a kid. Had a ride on Heinz Pickle though.

Comment

• MegoMonk
            Career Member
            • Jan 22, 2007

I had at least two Big Wheels, probably three. I grew up in a row house in brooklyn. There was an alley/community driveway bewtween my block and the block behind us. That is where we spent most of our time playing. Big Wheels were pefect for going up and down that alley, which had a steep hill on one end and a longer/less steep hill with a 90 degree turn on the other end. Demolition derbies with Big Wheels was a popular activity. there was another toy/vehicle, too. It was a round disc that you sat in. It had one wheel on each side, which were as big as the front wheel of a big wheel. I can't remember what it was called but one kid on the block had one. We would use that in the demolition derbies. Whoever, got stuck with that would wind up getting bashed over and over by the other kids, who had Big Wheels.
            I wish they made Big Wheels in adult sizes.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Hey Toyroom,

You'll forgive me if I copy this answer from another message board I'm on. And trust me, man, I feel your pain.

Oh how I longed for one of these, but my mom's main arguement was I'd outgrow it too fast. But the truth was, these things drove her crazy. Just about every kid on my block had them, and you knew when the cartoons were over on Saturday, 'cos they were all out in force, clicking away! Since I didn't have one, I'd always have to beg a ride from whoever was willing. Sometimes playing chicken was more fun. Hurrying to get out of the way before some kid came along and creamed you! But sometimes, kids did this to unknowing victims! And this happened to yours truly, right in front of MY MOTHER! I flipped up in the air and landed on my backside! After that, my mom wouldn't even let me mention Big Wheels in our house!

And here's a website w/ soundbytes of the Green Machine ad, the Big Wheel, plus lots more!http://dt.prohosting.com/70s/childtv/childtv.html

And MegoMonk, that was the Krazy Kar.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

I had the BigWheel,.. it was My " Batcycle",.. Well sorta, with My Mom's BathTowel tied around My neck.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

Just remembered the three wheeler I also had. It looked like a Big Wheel but it was all black and for the most part was metal. My folks use to have a photo of me riding it down a hill. Don't know what happened to said photo.

Comment

• toysrus
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 23, 2007

Big wheel

I had the yellow/red big wheel. Funtimes in the 70's. Heck just last month i took a ride on something called a skitter, google it, i dont know how to post pics here yet, anyway it was my sons, my son & i rode this thing down our street which is a hill, we were going like 20 miles an hour, and crash we went, all i heard was a loud crack , next thing i knew was my leg was backwards and the ambulance was there. Now i'm recovering, broke the leg in 3 places, sucks. But it was a fun short ride, kinda felt like a kid again, just kinda- my son flew off, and i'm happy to say he wasnt wounded.

Originally posted by The Toyroom

Who had one of these as a kid? Well NOT me, for one. For some reason my younger brother got a Hot Cycle but I never did. I used to hate when we'd get together with my cousin because the 2 of them would pedal theirs all over the place and I'd stand there waiting for a turn.

I thought I'd get my chance when the Green Machine came out but I never got one of those either....but I still remember the commercial tagline:
                    "8!9!10 years old! Old enough for...Green Machine! Woooo!"

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                      MeGoing
                      • May 14, 2003

I remember these well. My nephew has a remake green machine...jsut like the original and kids seem to love it just as much despite all the technological toys these days.

Comment

• Jet-Jungle
                        • Aug 23, 2007

I loved my Green Machine as a kid...I got to big for it and broke the seat.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I had the red/blue/yellow Big Wheel. Man, I used to love coming down the sidewalk and peeling out in the driveway by pulling that brake. My sister had an older one my friend used. That brake worked a bit too well. It locked up and threw my friend out several times. We also figured out if we put gravel in the hollow body of the big wheel, it would create a bigger dust cloud when we spun out in the driveway.

I also had Empire's Batmobile and Batcycle. I was lucky enough to get them back as an adult, thanks to Ebay!

I almost forgot to mention this; when I was about 8 or so, my next-door neighbor (who repaired bicycles) gave me a Big-Wheel-like Evel Kneivel chopper. It had two big wheels in the back and a big long fork like a chopper. I had it for about two weeks until my "friend" decided to ride it when I was inside eating supper. He took it down a steep hill, and cracked one of the big back wheels. He then ran off and left it where he wrecked it. We had to throw it out, since there was no finding another wheel to fit it.

Chris
                          Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Aug 27, '07, 9:39 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• theantiquetiger
                            Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
                            • Nov 12, 2005

I forgot all about the "Green Machine." I ha one of each the Big Wheel and Green Machine at some point. I loved that Green Machine, i didn't realize it was made by Marx, that maybe the only Marx toy I owned.
                            sigpic

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 1, 2005

I had the basic red and yellow big wheel, without the hand brake. Rode that thing until it practically fell apart.....banged up the front wheel something fierce as I recall!

I wanted a Green Machine SOOOO badly. I was just telling my fiance about it the other day, that's how much I obsess over it still

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎