• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Lee
    The Fix-it-up Chappie
    • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
    I think my question got overlooked.
    I know I don't personally want to discuss the details of our licensing deal, that's between us and CA Ent. That's just business... I am sure with a little research you'll find that there are a myriad of ways to obtain licenses and each deal is different. Some deals involve lump sums to obtain rights, while the majority require upfront payments and then subsequent royalties, based on a mutal percentage.

Hope that helps...

-Dave

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Thanks Dave! Wasn't trying to get intimate details of any deal. Just curious how it worked from a general perspective. Thanks for your reply!

Comment

• David Lee
        The Fix-it-up Chappie
        • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by MIB41
        Thanks Dave! Wasn't trying to get intimate details of any deal. Just curious how it worked from a general perspective. Thanks for your reply!
        Hey no problem, I didn't think you were...

This is kinda of new to us as well, and it took us almost a year to sort it out. The key to it is selling your product to the licensor, the rest is setting up the agreement. Most big properties have a very specific process, they've been to the puppet show and they've seen the strings So, at that point it's jumping through their hoops. There are Licensing Agents that do this all the time and they will gladly do it for you, for a not so nominal fee

Now as for Marvel and DC (Star Wars etc...), these guys are nigh unapproachable. They get pitched to everyday, and in reality it comes down to... what they want to make. If either got the bug to do 8 inch Super Heroes with removable costumes, it would happen. SO it's just a matter of if they think it's viable for them. To further exacerbate this, they also grant what is known as Master Toy Licenses to big toys companies *Hasbro, Mattel*. Making Spidey Toilet paper? you might have a shot, but guess who ain't gonna be so happy with MEGO's competing with them The ONLY way that these properties are available is if there is wiggle room in these pre-existing contracts with the Big Boys. This is where your DC Direct, Marvel Select (or whatever they are now), come into play. These are of course produced and Marketed by DC and MARVEL themselves or their subsidiaries. So in reality unless Hasbro or Mattel make these figures it becomes less likely to happen. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see a little guy get the chance to do something cool with these properties, but the reality is just not good. Here's hoping I am wrong some day

-Dave
        Last edited by David Lee; Nov 18, '07, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
          Banned
          • Jun 23, 2001

So, basically we are looking at public domain characters or older characters...Lone Ranger and Tonto, Phantom, Flash Gordon (which actually may sell because of the new series on Sci-Fi), Buck Rogers and other figures and outfits that have been done before with the Playing Mantis re-issues. I personally love those characters, and have the original CA figures with outfits in my collection, and would love to see them be made Megostyle...but you gotta give us more than the same stuff that's been already made. If there's no licensing beyond what already exsists in the Captain Action universe...then it will be "Been there...done that." Basically you'll sell to about 1000 diehards (and that's being generous) and then adios amegos. Unless you have a blockbuster licensing agreement to do "NEW" Captain Action Mego Stylings, such as the Speed Racer/Racer X and Johnny Quest stuff that is in the Michael Eury Book, I can see a very short lifespan. And that's just being honest. I love the Eury book and I love my orginal Captain Action figures...but to do a Megostyle line just for the sake of doing it is just being naive to what collectors and enthusiasts really want. Same can be said for all the retro stuff that has come out before this line comes out. CTVT was just poor product...the complaints of the figures was just too numerous to mention. EMCE is great product...but still no NEW stuff until year 2. That doesn't bode well...and they are being distributed though Diamond...one of the biggest monopolies out there. I've ordered 2 cases per wave up until wave 3 just to support the Doc/EMCE. I know that's not earth shattering...but I have supported it. If wave 4 is going to be re-hashed figures....I can't support it. Give me and other collectors/enthusiasts something NEW. In the case of doing Captain Action...AGAIN...there is plenty of the original and Playing Mantis re-issue stuff out there already. I understand it's not Mego sized...but honestly, you don't think customizers here on the museum and not here on the museum can't make those outfits??!!?? I wish you guys all the best of luck in this venture....I really mean that...but you may want to get some ducks in order before going full tilt with this. I don't want to see this fizzle like the Playing Mantis stuff did and go the way of the discount bin. Good Luck.

Comment

• fallensaviour
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 28, 2006

This is pretty cool news.I know I will pick up a couple for sure.I'll do my best to get my kids hooked as well,so you have future customers for the next few years...LOL.
            Good luck and I look forward to hearing more.
            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• David Lee
              The Fix-it-up Chappie
              • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
              So, basically we are looking at public domain characters or older characters...Lone Ranger and Tonto, Phantom, Flash Gordon (which actually may sell because of the new series on Sci-Fi), Buck Rogers and other figures and outfits that have been done before with the Playing Mantis re-issues. I personally love those characters, and have the original CA figures with outfits in my collection, and would love to see them be made Megostyle...but you gotta give us more than the same stuff that's been already made. If there's no licensing beyond what already exsists in the Captain Action universe...then it will be "Been there...done that." Basically you'll sell to about 1000 diehards (and that's being generous) and then adios amegos. Unless you have a blockbuster licensing agreement to do "NEW" Captain Action Mego Stylings, such as the Speed Racer/Racer X and Johnny Quest stuff that is in the Michael Eury Book, I can see a very short lifespan. And that's just being honest. I love the Eury book and I love my orginal Captain Action figures...but to do a Megostyle line just for the sake of doing it is just being naive to what collectors and enthusiasts really want. Same can be said for all the retro stuff that has come out before this line comes out. CTVT was just poor product...the complaints of the figures was just too numerous to mention. EMCE is great product...but still no NEW stuff until year 2. That doesn't bode well...and they are being distributed though Diamond...one of the biggest monopolies out there. I've ordered 2 cases per wave up until wave 3 just to support the Doc/EMCE. I know that's not earth shattering...but I have supported it. If wave 4 is going to be re-hashed figures....I can't support it. Give me and other collectors/enthusiasts something NEW. In the case of doing Captain Action...AGAIN...there is plenty of the original and Playing Mantis re-issue stuff out there already. I understand it's not Mego sized...but honestly, you don't think customizers here on the museum and not here on the museum can't make those outfits??!!?? I wish you guys all the best of luck in this venture....I really mean that...but you may want to get some ducks in order before going full tilt with this. I don't want to see this fizzle like the Playing Mantis stuff did and go the way of the discount bin. Good Luck.
              Honesty I can deal with, as a matter of fact it's all I ever ask

Rest assured our ducks are lining up nicely. We didn't just think this up. We approached Joe and Ed with one goal in mind, Captain Action and Dr. Evil. The Phantom comes into play because we also have that license, it seemed a natural cross-over, this is also predicated on King Features approval. As for newer Costumes for these two, we will let the market make those decisions. We love to hear what you guys would like and brainstorm, it's fun for sure. But be aware that we are making business decisions.

Without getting to much into the weeds, we will be producing replicas of Captain Action and Dr. Evil (new name) in 8 inch format, and also the Phantom. Next will be villains based on the Phantom. We are making new stuff, not MEGOS not Capitan Action... new stuff. Our retro body will not even be just like the type 2. Straight up reproductions are not our thing and are being nicely done by others. If we obtain other licenses to make action-figures and they are amenable to the CA cross over, and Joe and Ed are as well, then we will happily continue along that path if it makes good business sense. But, get this, our goal is to make New 8 inch Action-figures.... period. New figures, new licenses, our new premium format body, new packaging. This is simply our business plan, and we are executing it. I know we have not always seen eye to eye 'Berto, but your concerns are valid, and I don't fault you for that, as a matter of fact thanks for posting. Hopefully this will clear up the questions. If you, or anybody for that matter, have any more questions or ideas feel free to post them, or contact me off-line I am more than happy to discuss what I can.

We certainly appreciate the excitement!

-Dave
              Last edited by David Lee; Nov 18, '07, 3:38 PM.

Comment

• cptaction
                • Nov 15, 2007

If your able to get a company like Marvel or DC at the table to discuss permission to produce goods, is the cost of a license more of a flat rate or something that is negotiated?

It could go either way.

Would a popular character like Spiderman cost more than say a second tier character like Nova or Moon Knight?
                Yes.

And finally when your licensing a product do you have to pay a base fee just for the license and then give them a percentage of the gross or does all of that vary if terms are negotiable?

Sometimes it's both or it could be either. It depends on the licensor.

Sorry to ask business related questions, but I think it's very educational for collectors to know just how tough this business truly is. I've always felt Captain Action is one of the great action figures of all time because of his flexibility to bring to life so many unique characters that otherwise wouldn't exist on our collector shelves today. I think I speak for everyone when I say, we're very grateful for your love and appreciation of the character and your efforts to keep him in the market place. I think there are alot of us here who will do our part to help this line reach the kind of success he truly deserves!

We appreciate the support from all the Mego and Cap fans!

Comment

• cptaction
                  • Nov 15, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  Yes, I've seen this before. That is correct. However we obviously would not be able to put the other licensed heroes on the sides of the box.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I think this is always an interesting dilemma when new character lines are being introduced. Both Hasbro and Toybiz have taken turns tipping their hats to the mego-style action figures. I think Toybiz spent too much time in the packaging department and cut corners with the figures themselves. Too many characters had flimsy outfits, poor sculpts and even silly poses in their boxes (look no further than the Goblin for a textbook example of a really bad pose). Some of the figures were so bad they almost appeared to be a pre-school item because of the baby expressions and misproportioned body (look to the Hulk for that example).

Hasbro, in my opinion, did a much better job in the quality department and made a number of very good figures. Where they made a colossal mistake was changing price points with their sophomore line that had comic inserts. In some cases, as with Spiderman, there were little differences in the figure, yet they sat side by side (one $14.99, while the other was $19.99). Since this newer product was stocked at the front, many consumers were confused by the price so they assumed all of the figures were $19.99, so it slowed sales of the entire inventory. For collectors who knew the difference, most scoffed at the price increase based on a cheap comic insert.

After a few new character series, Hasbro then released one character by himself (Cyclops) at the higher end price of $19.99. Nobody was impressed with that move so the character sat on shelves and collected dust for nearly four months before getting marked down. Hasbro finished their marketing debacle by releasing the Sandman months after Spiderman 3 came out. It was so confusing that many stores immediately marked it down to $4.99 without realizing it was new product.

So I guess if there is a good lesson to learn from these two companies, it would be to focus on the quality of the figures while still remaining competitive with the price points. Also have a solid line up ready to go before the public see's it. New products often live and die with that intial impression so a nice display of characters and or sets would be a favorable move. Obviously you can't hang yourself with too much product until you know how it's going to sell, but you also don't want to get overlooked on the shelf by not having enough. I fear that if only Captain Action and Dr Evil figures are released, vendors won't order that many because they'll feel the only customers showing up for these will be the same collectors who bought the Playing Mantis line. What I'm hearing is this line is new and different so my expectations are already raised. I think if you can get the vendors excited you'll be off to a good start. Just some food for thought...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

If you are looking for other heroes to use for Cap, how about the Superpowers series from Alex Ross? I'm sure he would be interested in seeing mego inspired figures of those characters. Others to consider would be Madman, Big Bang, or some of Image's characters.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by cptaction
                        Yes, I've seen this before. That is correct. However we obviously would not be able to put the other licensed heroes on the sides of the box.
                        No problem there...just put CA on the sides like he is on the original Ideal costume boxes.
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 27, 2004

This is super exciting. I just picked up a bunch of the PM CA boxed figures for characters I like (Lone Ranger, Tonto, Flash Gordon) so the possibilities here are really cool.

IMO, my only piece of advice would be: Make sure the clothes and accessories work with existing T1 and T2 figures!

I know making a new body is probably the most exciting part for you, but I've seen it go wrong more often than I've seen it go right. I'm not sure I need *another* new body (by new I mean "incompatible") and the best way to appeal to the existing community is compatibility.

I'm sure many folks here are excited about a new 8" figure body so I'm not suggesting it's a bad idea - I'm saying that the ability to support the line and extend the customization possibilities is to make sure everything fits. I'm wishing you guys the best, but for 8" scale the number of Mego accessories and bodies will outnumber any new line by a huge margin. To be able to take your body and put a vintage Batman outfit on it would be awesome. For others, they may want to take your new head and pop it on a vintage T2.

Either way you guys sell a figure.

Just my $.02.

Best of luck guys!
                          Last edited by Corellian Corvette; Nov 19, '07, 3:32 AM.
                          Like M.A.S.K.?
                          www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• David Lee
                            The Fix-it-up Chappie
                            • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
                            This is super exciting. I just picked up a bunch of the PM CA boxed figures for characters I like (Lone Ranger, Tonto, Flash Gordon) so the possibilities here are really cool.

IMO, my only piece of advice would be: Make sure the clothes and accessories work with existing T1 and T2 figures!

I know making a new body is probably the most exciting part for you, but I've seen it go wrong more often than I've seen it go right. I'm not sure I need *another* new body (by new I mean "incompatible") and the best way to appeal to the existing community is compatibility.

I'm sure many folks here are excited about a new 8" figure body so I'm not suggesting it's a bad idea - I'm saying that the ability to support the line and extend the customization possibilities is to make sure everything fits. I'm wishing you guys the best, but for 8" scale the number of Mego accessories and bodies will outnumber any new line by a huge margin. To be able to take your body and put a vintage Batman outfit on it would be awesome. For others, they may want to take your new head and pop it on a vintage T2.

Either way you guys sell a figure.

Just my $.02.

Best of luck guys!
                            You betcha, we're on the same page! Remember we are, in fact, first and foremost customizers ourselves So this was a priority from the start. We knew our new stuff needed to fit and play well with existing stuff, as to expand the Mego 'verse (not recreate a new one). So, without repro'ing old MEGO stuff, we are making things that fit the Type 2. Our first "retro" body is just more of an improved Type 2, but for customizing purposes there will be little difference. The Newer Premium format articulated body, shares most of the overall dimensions as the type 2 as well... So no worries there mates! We may in the business to make new figures... be we still think like customizers

BTW, wait until you see the purely custom accessories we will have for you guys!

-Dave

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              Alan Scott is the best GL
                              • Aug 8, 2007

I have many capt actions with my joes and loved the playing mantis repros so thanks CA your work to bring Kato to life in bot doll and sepaarate uniform was awesome.

Comment

• megocrazy
                                Museum Trouble Maker
                                • Feb 18, 2007

Do you also have access to the Action Jackson license that PM had? Is there even a license needed for that? Would make a nice companion line and would be very similar in style to CA. I always felt if they had done more uniforms with that line they would have been better received buy the general public. Vehicles would be awesome also.
                                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎