Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Type3Toys
    Home Of The Type3 Body
    • Jan 18, 2005

Welcome to the site Joe! I hope you continue to visit even after this project is done.
    This is good news! Dave, Jason and Co. I have always been a fan of your Cast-A-Way projects and as you know, proudly own your monster figures. I cant wait to see this new stuff come to life.
    LOOK
    Action Figure Design & Prototypes
    For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
    To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Welcome to the board Joe! Fantastic news. I bought the entire CA line by Playing Mantis when they intially came out (including the book by Michael Eury). I LOVED that line and was deeply disappointed to miss out on the Speed Racer costume set which got shelved. I guess you can guess my first question.... Any chance that costume set will see the light of day now? I also read during the Playing Mantis years DC had toyed with the idea of allowing license to rerelease the Batman costume. Will that be one of the company's goals for this next series? Any chance the company is considering recreating the classic CA rings to be packaged with the figures or costumes? I have a lot of questions, but I'll hold up right there. Just wanted to let you know, the company has my full support and I will begin working on a scheme in my collector room to display this next series .

Thanks for coming to this board to inform everyone. I will forward the news to my other fellow collectors. Also thanks for the link. I had no idea there was CA shirts and mugs available ( I LOVE it).
      Last edited by MIB41; Nov 17, '07, 8:28 AM.

Comment

• cptaction
        • Nov 15, 2007

Captain Action meets Mego!

Hey MIB41!
        Welcome to the board Joe! Fantastic news.
        Thank you!

I bought the entire CA line by Playing Mantis when they intially came out (including the book by Michael Eury). I LOVED that line and was deeply disappointed to miss out on the Speed Racer costume set which got shelved. I guess you can guess my first question.... Any chance that costume set will see the light of day now?

Tough to say because of the new Speed Racer movie, the license may already be spoken for, but, of course it is something we would love to see also.

I also read during the Playing Mantis years DC had toyed with the idea of allowing license to rerelease the Batman costume.

I worked as a consultant on the PM line. We tried very hard to get DC or Marvel but their licenses were wrapped up tight with other companies. Warner wouldn't even give us Space Ghost! We do have feelers out to both comic book houses now and hopefully will be able to get one of them to relent eventually. In the meantime, we'll continue to expand with different products to build up steam in the marketplace. We're hoping the new Moonstone Comic scheduled for April will give us a nice boost.

Will that be one of the company's goals for this next series? Any chance the company is considering recreating the classic CA rings to be packaged with the figures or costumes?

Not sure as yet. If we get good support for the first releases then we can go after new licenses and go from there. Re- doing the rings would be cool. Ya never know!
        I have a lot of questions, but I'll hold up right there. Just wanted to let you know, the company has my full support and I will begin working on a scheme in my collector room to display this next series .

You go boy!

Thanks for coming to this board to inform everyone. I will forward the news to my other fellow collectors. Also thanks for the link. I had no idea there was CA shirts and mugs available ( I LOVE it).[/QUOTE]

You're most welcome! Thanks for the kind words and support.

Joe
        Last edited by cptaction; Nov 17, '07, 9:35 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Thanks Joe! I've always been curious about licensing and how it's obtained. I do have one question about that and you might be able to help all of us understand the sticky complexities involved with the process.

If your able to get a company like Marvel or DC at the table to discuss permission to produce goods, is the cost of a license more of a flat rate or something that is negotiated? Would a popular character like Spiderman cost more than say a second tier character like Nova or Moon Knight?

And finally when your licensing a product do you have to pay a base fee just for the license and then give them a percentage of the gross or does all of that vary if terms are negotiable?

Sorry to ask business related questions, but I think it's very educational for collectors to know just how tough this business truly is. I've always felt Captain Action is one of the great action figures of all time because of his flexibility to bring to life so many unique characters that otherwise wouldn't exist on our collector shelves today. I think I speak for everyone when I say, we're very grateful for your love and appreciation of the character and your efforts to keep him in the market place. I think there are alot of us here who will do our part to help this line reach the kind of success he truly deserves!

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Exciting news. I can't wait to see them.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

OK...the good Captain and Dr. "Eville" seem to be covered...but what about Action Boy/Kid Action? Is it possible that he may make a return if things go well or are the name rights tied up?
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• roman
                Persistent Member
                • Jan 25, 2003

Joe & Dave:

One word baby! AWESOME!!!

Two suggestion if I might?

QVC / HSN ( it worked for Esteban)

Contact Hallmark Cards. If you look at their catologue they are doing all these nice retro ornament, video, stuff toy collections from the classic Peanuts Frosty the Snowman, The Grich and, Rudolph. All are way retro and aimed at the 35 - 50 crowd.

Just a thought is all.

The hold both Marvel and DC Licensing. Just as Doc did maybe you can broker a deal with them for and exclusive offer. I can see a mini retro CA Bats, Supes and, Spidey as something they's find intriguing

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Is it too early to ask about packaging? Mego style or shrunk down CA coffin style box?
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• cptaction
                    • Nov 15, 2007

Captain Action meets Mego!

We haven't finalized anything as yet as respects packaging but I was thinking how about both?

Joe

Comment

• cptaction
                      • Nov 15, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                      OK...the good Captain and Dr. "Eville" seem to be covered...but what about Action Boy/Kid Action? Is it possible that he may make a return if things go well or are the name rights tied up?

Right now, we're just sticking to Captain Action and Dr.. Evil. Maybe down the road we'll tackle Action Boy!!

Joe

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Awesome! Can't wait.

How about some Monster costumes for Dr Evil?
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by cptaction
                          We haven't finalized anything as yet as respects packaging but I was thinking how about both?

Joe

Something like this?
                          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                            I love that figure and that box...it stands tall in my collection. Very pleased with the end results of both figure and box.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by cptaction

Joe

Both would probably be the way to go. Get the mego and CA fans.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by MIB41
                                Thanks Joe! I've always been curious about licensing and how it's obtained. I do have one question about that and you might be able to help all of us understand the sticky complexities involved with the process.

If your able to get a company like Marvel or DC at the table to discuss permission to produce goods, is the cost of a license more of a flat rate or something that is negotiated? Would a popular character like Spiderman cost more than say a second tier character like Nova or Moon Knight?

And finally when your licensing a product do you have to pay a base fee just for the license and then give them a percentage of the gross or does all of that vary if terms are negotiable?

Sorry to ask business related questions, but I think it's very educational for collectors to know just how tough this business truly is. I've always felt Captain Action is one of the great action figures of all time because of his flexibility to bring to life so many unique characters that otherwise wouldn't exist on our collector shelves today. I think I speak for everyone when I say, we're very grateful for your love and appreciation of the character and your efforts to keep him in the market place. I think there are alot of us here who will do our part to help this line reach the kind of success he truly deserves!
                                I think my question got overlooked.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎