• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by Count Creepyhead
    Cool sets, but they seem a bit pricey.
    That was my initial reaction, as well. However, a repro stunt set by Ideal goes for an average of around $40-50 (after shipping was added in) on eBay and I've never seen a repro Robbie Knievel set-up (was there an original Robbie set?). So when I thought about it, it seemed like a reasonable price.

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by saildog
      That was my initial reaction, as well. However, a repro stunt set by Ideal goes for an average of around $40-50 (after shipping was added in) on eBay and I've never seen a repro Robbie Knievel set-up (was there an original Robbie set?). So when I thought about it, it seemed like a reasonable price.

I know there was a teen Robbie figure in the 70s, but I don't know about a set. He was also dressed in a blue jumpsuit, just like this Robbie.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
        Career Member
        • Jun 10, 2007

I've been hesitating on getting this set and I'm a big Evel fan. I was a little discouraged when they just recycled Evel and his set. I didn't know he came with the cape. Robbies winder is blue, most pics I have seen are black..?..
        I may just have to get this set now.
        It appears Robbie is the same as the 70's, only with 5 O'clock shadow.
        No, Robbie did not come with a set, he just came boxed.

Hardygirl... Did this set come in a special colorfull box like the first set, or just a plain jane white box like the cars and cycle set?
        Lynn
        Last edited by Lynn TXP 0369; Nov 20, '07, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Delusional B
          Museum Super Collector
          • Nov 14, 2007

I'm a huge Evel toy fan also. I've collected the vintage toys for years and have been buying the reissues from Poof-Slinky also. I bought the signature set (dragster, funny car, cycle) last year but was disappointed that it came in a plain white box. I had visions of a full-color litho box like the Super Stunt cycle with a huge window to show off all the vehicles.

I've heard that this set is also packed in a plain white box. I'd love to know if this is the case, also.

I think that Poof-Slinky is really missing the boat by not releasing these sets in a more nostalgic fashion. IMO, instead of trying to appeal to kids with flashy packaging (in the case of the cycle sets), they should be trying to appeal to us "old kids" with packaging that recreates the packages from the seventies. Are these things even available at retail for kids to buy, anyway? Hasbro is doing this with their vintage 12" Gi Joe re-releases and they look fantastic. For the most part, it really feels like you are holding a vintage package when you pick one up.

I was also a bit disappointed to see that they were charging $100 (now $80) for, essentially, 2 stunt cycle sets that one can get for $18 apiece at kbtoys.com when they are in stock. I think that BacktoBasics is really overcharging for this set...yet, I want one anyway and may cave in at some point.

Also, one question...is it Robbie's signature on the Robbie's cycle tank or Evels?
          Last edited by Delusional B; Nov 20, '07, 8:12 PM.
          Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
            Career Member
            • Jun 10, 2007

Robbies I believe.

Lynn

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Yes, they come in plain white boxes, and Robbie's winder is Navy blue, (which is possibly why you thought it was black, Lynn). What really BUGS me are the instructions. In both the Signature Dragster/Funny Car set and this Father/Son set you get the same stupid instructions as the Daredevil set! I mean, if they can spring for a certificate of authenticity, why not print new instructions? And yes, Robbie's bike has a siggy as well, but it looks like some illegible scribbling from a 3 year old.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍