Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dracula saying "bleh"

Images

Dracula saying "bleh"

Where does this come from? I don't think Bela Lugosi ever said "bleh" or "blah", yet it's part of the stereotypical Dracula schtick. My son and I are building the Revell Dracula, and for fun are talking like Bela as Drac. Invariably, "bleh" just instinctively comes out.

It's probably just someone, years ago, picking at Bela's thick Hungarian accent. If Dracula (or any Drac-like vampire) doesn't have said accent, he ain't a vampire to most folks! Especially in spoofs! Even Sesame Street's Count has the accent!

It's probably like Superman changing in a phone booth, or Kirk saying "Beam me up, Scotty". It never happened much, or in the case of TOS, not at all, but somehow became a core part of the mythology of each property.

Any ideas?

Chris

Blog Entries
    It might actually stem from the Count, considring how long he's been around.

Blog Entries
    I wondered the same thing myself but thought it might be from looney toons somehow.

Count Blah!!

Images
    I wondered the same thing myself but thought it might be from looney toons somehow.
    Yeah, that's a good guess. The "I am a vampire"/"I am an umpire" Bugs Bunny short.

It might actually stem from the Count, considring how long he's been around.
    Could be that too, but I think it was already part of the deal by the late 60s. Mad Monster Party? has a Drac who does it I think.

Chris

It might come from the 1964 parody song "My Son, The Vampire" by Allan Sherman. He says the word "blood" several times, but pronounces it as "bleh".

Images
    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    It's probably just someone, years ago, picking at Bela's thick Hungarian accent.
    This is what I always thought. It's almost expected, like someone imitating Jimmy Cagney and saying "See?" after everything. Now, if Cagney were a vampire, it would be too much: "Blah, see? Blah!"

Quote Originally Posted by LonnieFisher View Post
    Count Blah!!

First thing that popped into my head.

Could it be from Abbot & Costello meet Frankenstein?
    "The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow...How did it come to this?"

"Keep buggerin` on, ayyy!"