X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toysrus
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 23, 2007

Bullet Man fell to pieces!

Did yours fall to pieces though? All the joints on my Bullet Man fell off over the years. Can he be repaired? If so, who does that?

Same thing happened to my sheild & Super joes!

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, that tends to happen with practically all Bullet Men, "muscle body" Joes and Super Joes. I knew of a place that used to fix them, but last time I checked they said they were too busy, and currently not accepting "patients". It's too bad that these figures aren't anywhere near as easy to put back together as a T1 Mego is.

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
        Museum Super Collector
        • May 18, 2007

Originally posted by cjefferys
        Yeah, that tends to happen with practically all Bullet Men, "muscle body" Joes and Super Joes. I knew of a place that used to fix them, but last time I checked they said they were too busy, and currently not accepting "patients". It's too bad that these figures aren't anywhere near as easy to put back together as a T1 Mego is.
        If you are a DIY kind of guy, try Cotswold Collectibles. They sell restringing kits for the muscle bodies for around $15. This includes all the parts you need and some very good instructions. I have probably repaired 10-20 of these types of figures and I can tell you that Bulletman is the hardest one to do. There is something about the metalic paint on his arms that makes them difficult to get apart without damaging them. He is not a good practice figure for learning to restring but if you try it, GO SLOW. You might also consider buying some silver metalic elastic cord at your local sewing shop. It's cheap and easy to use but nowhere near the quality of the professional kits.
        - Sweep

Comment

• megocrazy
          Museum Trouble Maker
          • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Count Creepyhead
          I'd like to see Power and Bullet man re-issued like the action team.
          I totally agree. I had no interest in the ones released recently but those two I would buy. Bulletman was poorly made but was really cool.
          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• jds1911a1
            Alan Scott is the best GL
            • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by toysrus
            Did yours fall to pieces though? All the joints on my Bullet Man fell off over the years. Can he be repaired? If so, who does that?

Same thing happened to my sheild & Super joes!
            I actually repair Lifelike joe bodies. The 12" ones are easier if you have stronger rubber bands. You have to tie really tight knots into the end to "shove into the round hole then tie the other end into another ball for the shoulder joint. for the Knee loop the band around the rivet then knot it and shove. The neck is easier if you pry the torso apart and I ep[oxy a plastic model part "tree" at the top of the neck stud to give the band a wrap around. or it took me 4 bodies before I got it right but none of them are ones I would try to resell. If you really want a nice lifelike body do a keyword search of Brazil in ebay's gijoe. FALCON figures were made by Estrella under hasbro license and their 90's ones have packaging like the Hall of fame joes but are actually 70's style lifelike bodies

Super joes are really tough becuase they are so small and you can't "pry" aprt the upper arms or legs easily. If you are willing to drill new holes in them you can use a replacement mego wrist and a rivet post to "install" a knee or elbow joint.
            if the legs are off the torso (which they usually are) the knot techniche will hold the legs on but they are loose.

the only hands I have found that can hold superjoe gear are the modern Action Jackson hands luckily those wrist joint fit perfectly

Comment

• jds1911a1
              • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by toys2cool
              Atleast the Bullet man sells for well over $100
              I think the real reason a bulletman can draw more money is if the lifelike body is intact. So many are in parts that any lifelike that isn't in pieces has value

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                Museum Super Collector
                • May 18, 2007

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                I think the real reason a bulletman can draw more money is if the lifelike body is intact. So many are in parts that any lifelike that isn't in pieces has value

I am just curious - has anyone EVER run across a muscle body G.I. Joe figure oin the past decade that has not disintegrated? I found one Super Joe figure that had not about 10 years ago. I sealed him in an airtight container and he still hasn't fallen apart but his hands have turned pure white and look like gloves. I am afraid to break the seal to open it so I guess he's staying vacume packed!
                - Sweep

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Sweep Secondhand
                  I am just curious - has anyone EVER run across a muscle body G.I. Joe figure oin the past decade that has not disintegrated? I found one Super Joe figure that had not about 10 years ago. I sealed him in an airtight container and he still hasn't fallen apart but his hands have turned pure white and look like gloves. I am afraid to break the seal to open it so I guess he's staying vacume packed!
                  I haven't. I've never even seen a Super Joe with intact hands, so you really have something there. Though I'm sure if you touched them at this point, they would turn to dust.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    • Aug 8, 2007

I have 2 mint not decintrated lifelike bodies but they are actually Group action JOEs (marked hasbro but the shorts color is a brighter blue) but I bought them 20 years ago MIB. and keep them in climate controlled rooms (humidity temp the works) but eventuially even those will fall apart too it's unavoidable.

the disinteration is actually polymer degredation in the rubber so If you have a product that is for that purpose (remember NU VINYL) it will reduce the loss of the polymers. If you want to save the hands since they are discolored already a spray like black magic may help if he's loose not MOC. The exsposure to attics, extended store light /sunlight increase the breakdown (like grey head megos)
                    Last edited by jds1911a1; Nov 14, '07, 3:01 PM.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 1, 2005

I loved the Mike Power figure as a kid. When I became a collector as an adult, he was one of the first vitage Joes I set out to buy. He's standing on a shelf directly across from me right now in fact

This whole era of GI Joe is my favorite, I loved that sub with the giant squid, and I am still hoping to someday get my hands on a Bulletman again.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Sweep Secondhand
                        If you are a DIY kind of guy, try Cotswold Collectibles. They sell restringing kits for the muscle bodies for around $15. This includes all the parts you need and some very good instructions.
                        Do they sell something similar for repairing Super Joes? For that matter, I've always assumed that the Super Joes were put together very similarly to the 12" Joe muscle bodies. Is this true?

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • May 18, 2007

Do they sell something similar for repairing Super Joes? For that matter, I've always assumed that the Super Joes were put together very similarly to the 12" Joe muscle bodies. Is this true?
                          Well the answer to that question is both yes and no. Yes the bodies are similar in style but the materials used on the Super Joe figures were even cheaper than the muscle body AT's. With the 12 inch muscle bodies, it was usually only the arms and neck connections that disentigrated. The legs are almost always still attached to the torsos for some reason. On the Super Jo figures, every connection crumbled to dust. The hands were made of the same material so the crumble too. I have never seen a repair kit for Super Joe figures. If there was one it would have to include connectors for the legs and replacement hands as well.
                          - Sweep

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why the repair kits that I've seen for the 12" Joes didn't include anything for the hip joints. Due to the seeming lack of interest in the Super Joes compared to the 12" Joes, I wouldn't be surprised if repair kits, replacement hands, etc, never show up. Too bad, because ironically, if most existing figures weren't in pieces, there would probably be more interest in the line, which would make such replacement parts more marketable.

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • May 18, 2007

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why the repair kits that I've seen for the 12" Joes didn't include anything for the hip joints. Due to the seeming lack of interest in the Super Joes compared to the 12" Joes, I wouldn't be surprised if repair kits, replacement hands, etc, never show up. Too bad, because ironically, if most existing figures weren't in pieces, there would probably be more interest in the line, which would make such replacement parts more marketable.
                              Possibly but I doubt it. Remember the 12 inch Joes had roughly an 11 year run from 1964-1975 plus a few extra years that old store stock and knock off items sat on the shelves. Super Joe was a flash in the pan that signaled the end of the line. It wasn't around long enough to really get established and most kids that I knew that had Super Joe just wished he was the 12 inch version!
                              - Sweep

Comment

• jds1911a1
                                • Aug 8, 2007

It is a catch 22 but the reality is the sheer amount of work needed to restring a superjoe is the limiter. They are much harder to work with due to the smaller scale than the 12" muscle bodies. I have seen a couple restrings on ebay for a fortune (60-100) and for a line that only lasted 2 years only a real hardcore joe fan would bother (and most would rather spend the money on a MOC one in pieces). I loved superjoe as a kid and have had a go at repairing them now but it is a labor of love. I know the act of the repair is the equivalent of making an omelet - you gotta break the eggs, or in this case I have to further break the parts.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎