Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scariest Movie You Saw Under The Age Of 12?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by BOTZWANA
    House of Frankenstein when I was a kid. Inspired me to make Monster Cafe Saltillo...

But being REALLY scared are two movies I saw much later but the VHS covers scared me. Shock Treatment and Magic....

OMG, have you ever seen the TV spots for Magic? A close up shot of that creepy dummy reciting a creepy poem. Gave me nightmares.

Another scary commercial was this commercial for "The Hunger Project", which I think was a charity. The idea was to show a starving, emaciated boy morph into a healthy, fed one. This was the early 80's so they used airbrushed drawings until they faded into the healthy boy at the end. So, the commercial starts out with this ultra creepy, but almost photorealistic drawing of an emaciated boy in black and white underscored by creepy music, during the Voiceover they fade to drawings of him improving, until they go to then real boy in color.

That commercial terrorized me. It came on without without warning mostly at later at night or on Saturday Morning (!!). I used to avert my eyes during commercial breaks because I was afraid it would show up.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
      Beyond the door.......I couldn't sleep for a week....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bDdncqvtfQ
      Yup, I saw that one when I was like 10 or 11. That was my first exposure to "Home Box Office" (before it was called HBO), at a friend's babysitter's house. I wasn't as much scared as I was grossed out. But I thought I was a big shot at school the next day. I do remember one of the younger kids started off near the TV, and somewhere midway, she had backed up all the way across the room against the far wall w/ her thumb in her mouth. Same babysitter (not mine, the friend's) took us to see "Bug" about fire bugs. The part that freaked me out was when the girl picked up the phone receiver and the bug burned her ear. For a long time, I would look at the phone receiver before I started talking. The last I guess was a movie called "Rabid". Really GROSS! I basically covered my eyes and ears when a scary part came on, and I came home w/ really sore ears from smashing my hands against them so I couldn't hear the screaming.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by mego73
        OMG, have you ever seen the TV spots for Magic? A close up shot of that creepy dummy reciting a creepy poem. Gave me nightmares.
        I saw a documentary on YouTube that said parents were really disturbed b/c this trailer was scaring the crap outta their kids. I wasn't really scared, a little creeped out, but I had to watch it every time it came on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezkx07HYylo
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• starsky
          veteran member
          • Aug 26, 2007

jaws for me.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by luey
            Trilogy of Terror (wooden statue episode)
            Oh hell yeah...the Amelia episode...starring Karen Black.

Here's the entire segment...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxq_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhe2O...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOEJk...eature=related

I just re-watched it...and I still get shivers...the ending is GREAT too!

sigpic

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Heeheee....

So many classics! As a kid I wasn't scared by horror films. (Slept through most of the Exorcist, and rooted for the Alien; both when I was about 8.) But I gotta say you folks have mentioned a lot of stuff that I thought was awesome! Funny thing; when I got to the U, I met a LOT of people who were terrified of Dr Who as kids. (Many couldn't get past the opening music.)

Don C.

Comment

• shyndman
                Museum Super Collector
                • Aug 29, 2008

I remember a William Castle movie called Mr. Sardonicus which scared the heck out of me when I was little. It had this scene where the bad guy "punished" a woman with leeches. Ugh.

Comment

• drzaius1
                  Residident of Camp Eleven
                  • Aug 25, 2010

Jaws freaked me out as a kid. The most effective scary movie i have ever seen is probably silence of the lambs. Even though i was probably 20 when that came out , that scene with the night vision goggles was tense.

Overall , the scariest thing on TV as a kid had to be Lady Elaine Fairchild. What was that evil bulbous nosed witch anyway? Did Mr.Roger's kid make that puppet at day camp? That thing was horrid! She would have been a perfect addition to the mego monster line.
                  Domo Arigato, Mr. Mugato
                  sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Animal Farm.

I was four and thought it was a Disney cartoon.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Overall , the scariest thing on TV as a kid had to be Lady Elaine Fairchild. What was that evil bulbous nosed witch anyway? Did Mr.Roger's kid make that puppet at day camp? That thing was horrid! She would have been a perfect addition to the mego monster line.
                      Glad I wasn't the only kid traumatized by that particular puppet.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• captact
                        King of Super Queens!
                        • Aug 19, 2007

I was 12 when i was "taken" to see THE EXCORCIST!!! MAN,..I was scared for a whole month , sleeping at night with the lights on and holding all night on a rosary,..DAMN,...that movie freaked me out!!!!

Comment

• drthielegood
                          • Feb 9, 2011

I remember seeing a version of Hanzel and Gretyl(sp) that scared the hell out of me as a kid. I don't remember much except for the fact that it was live action, everyone had english accents (I think) and they actually inferred that kids were being eaten by the witch. It was messed up..you actually met kids early in the film who were mysteriously gone a few scenes later. Anyone now this one.

anyway...scared me.
                          ".....Honey, I never drive faster then I can see.....Besides that its all in the reflexes."

Comment

• Joe90
                            Most Special Agent
                            • Feb 23, 2008

So many to mention.

The two that stick out for me this particular minute are The Bad Seed, and The Haunting (1963).

I also remember having dreams about being trapped in my Aunt and Uncles farmhouse by Ro-Man of Robot Monster fame. I can still remember peering out the window and seeing Ro-Man lurking on the edge of a large grove of trees out in the cow pasture. Scary stuff...
                            90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• PeterRR
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jun 2, 2008

To me growing up in the 1960's the movie that really creep me out was Carnival Of Souls. The dancing seen the whole movie. I remember in another seen when she look out the window and there was one the zombies in the window. That seen bother me for years . When I when to bed and closed my shade in my room I never looked out window. Another movie the scared us growing up was a late night movie don't remember the name but there were these giant rat like creature (Not Food of the Gods) this was in black and white. What I remember the people tried to get off the island by tying metal barrels together turn them upside and get in and they headed for the water does anybody know the name of that movie haven't seen it in more then 30 years

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

I don't know the title of this movie and I havent seen it for close to 40 years, but man when I did see it some scenes scared me bigtime.

It was black and white (probably low budget)

It had devil worshippers.

Most outstanding thing I can remember was a giant devil coming down railroad tracks at night.

The giant devil appeared a few times (I think) ... usually surrounded by a cloud or smoke

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎