Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Mego Mailer Figures Exist Today (WGSH)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

I don't know Rob. It's been packed away since we moved.
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Brad
      Batman Fanatic
      • Aug 20, 2010

Originally posted by Tom L
      Rob those are just sick!!! Very nice.
      +1!!!!

Rob, those are just over the top awesome!
      "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• Duncan
        Museum focus-groupie
        • Jun 27, 2009

Here's a Potsie I picked up last year. It was sold as if it belonged with the box, but I don't know for sure that it was originally mailed in that box. I believe I paid in the $25-$35 range for it.

Last edited by Duncan; Mar 9, '11, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• MegoSteve
          Superman's Pal
          • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by rche
          looks like Ben showcased a Falcon, Penguin, Isis, Bats, and Supes in mailer boxes a couple of years back.

Mego Talk
          I got to see them in person at Hake's earlier this week and they are pretty sweet. They'll be up for auction sometime this year.

Comment

• imp
            Mego Book Author
            • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by megoapesnut
            I have Aquaman, I can get a shot of him. I have several of the apes as well.
            Aquaman was never offered in any major U.S. Christmas catalog (Sears, Ward, Aldens, JCPenney, etc.). While I believe there should be a "Mego Mailer" (i.e. brown box with Mego item number printed on sides), I have NEVER SEEN ONE.

@megoapesnut, maybe you can post that picture. I suspect it could be one of the Wizard of Oz boxes (there was a glut of after-market piece-together Aquamans in Oz boxes a few years back). I hope I'm wrong, as I would love to see an example of something I have never been able to verify, but truly believe exists.

Look forward to seeing a pic.

-b

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

^Then which one is the Aquaman pictured in your book? Is the mailer box from Canada maybe?

Comment

• megoapesnut
                The name says it all!
                • Dec 3, 2007

Here is the photo from my Aquaman shelf. I can take some better pics. You are probably correct that the box was for another figure. I bought it along with the boxed Aquaman on the right. The Aquaman figure seems to be sealed in the baggie, but you never know. I seem to remember the seller not being sure if it was the correct box for the figure

Last edited by megoapesnut; Mar 13, '11, 2:00 PM.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                  The name says it all!
                  • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  ^Then which one is the Aquaman pictured in your book? Is the mailer box from Canada maybe?
                  He states in the book that it was never offered in any catalog and has the photo beneath the paragraph that tells of the stockpile found with Aquaman in WOZ boxes.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Ah. I was trying to figure it out. Was a little confused.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                      The name says it all!
                      • Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, I missed that too when I first read the book. I thought the photo represented that Aquaman was sold in a mailer box via a catalog.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

I think rarity depends on the type of mailer box as well. For example, the mailer boxed Falcons offered by Heroes World are fairly common, but I had a JC Penney mailer boxed Falcon (different number on the box) and I was told that mine was the only one known to exist. Not that it equated to the box being particularly valuable, probably because there is a rather limited amount of collectors who covet the numerous box variations. I'm guessing that it's primarily the minty, bagged figures that come with many of them that make them desirable to most collectors.

Comment

• imp
                          Mego Book Author
                          • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                          Here is the photo from my Aquaman shelf. I can take some better pics. You are probably correct that the box was for another figure. I bought it along with the boxed Aquaman on the right. The Aquaman figure seems to be sealed in the baggie, but you never know. I seem to remember the seller not being sure if it was the correct box for the figure
                          Nice Aquaman collection!

Yes, the Mailer Box you have was not intended for Aquaman. It is a Montgomery Ward Mailer Box, issued probably between 1974-1977. My best guess is that it belonged to one of the Happy Days (maybe Fonzie) or Wizard of Oz figures, though it's possible it was for another WGSH character. I have to wait until I get my house unpacked and dig up my Ward catalogs before I can confirm for you.

-b

Comment

• imp
                            Mego Book Author
                            • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by cjefferys
                            I think rarity depends on the type of mailer box as well. For example, the mailer boxed Falcons offered by Heroes World are fairly common, but I had a JC Penney mailer boxed Falcon (different number on the box) and I was told that mine was the only one known to exist.
                            Falcon in a JCPenney Mailer Box is SUPER RARE, as the character was only ever offered by ONE major retailer (JCP) in ONE Christmas catalog (1975). So, beyond the relatively common "Mego Mailer" (with Mego's Falcon Item Number "51300/4"), there are no other Falcon Mailer Boxes to collect!

-b

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎