Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dadioche
    • Oct 8, 2007

Black Hole Figures

Some Black Hole figures are beautiful but not very playable, especially the ones who have stands (like Vincent or Maximilian). What do you think about them ? Were they really toys for kids ?
    Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel !
    The Power of the Toy
  • PCofmisfittoys
    Banned
    • Oct 17, 2007

i have always loved the figures. I collected them and have continued with other items from the series. It's a great movie.
    Back then I think they where all intended for playtime. The good years, now everything cheaply made and the toy designers know they are targeting the collector market. Clash of the titans figures are similar as well. A great toy line I have gotten over the years but wasnt meant to hold up forever. Gotta love the Kraken figure.

Comment

• Dadioche
      • Oct 8, 2007

Did you really play with the figures when you were a kid ? Weren't they too fragile ?
      The Power of the Toy

Comment

• Ranger 3
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 25, 2007

They were a lot more fragile than the Kenner figures, but if I understand Dadioche's question right, he was wondering if MEGO Black Hole line were MEANT to be played with, or were they supposed to be collectors' items like so many toys are today.

The answer is yes, they were meant to be toys. In 1979, toys were still toys. The collectors market for Star Wars-era action figures wouldn't start until that generation of kids became adults.

Mark

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I played with mine, I was that kid who liked Black Hole better than Star Wars. They lasted too, i broke the odd thumb but I still even have my Vincent on my desk here at work.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I played with 'em too. I lost a LOT of thumbs though. The forearm/hand pieces were made of a rigid plastic and would snap if you tried putting something too big in them.

Don C.

Comment

• BendyZaius
              Museum Super Collector
              • Sep 22, 2005

Originally posted by Ranger 3
              They were a lot more fragile than the Kenner figures, but if I understand Dadioche's question right, he was wondering if MEGO Black Hole line were MEANT to be played with, or were they supposed to be collectors' items like so many toys are today.

The answer is yes, they were meant to be toys. In 1979, toys were still toys. The collectors market for Star Wars-era action figures wouldn't start until that generation of kids became adults.

Mark
              I like the think that the actual moment in time when a majority of action figures stopped being toys and started being "collectibles" was the instant that Playmates Toys stamped the first number on the bottom of their first Trek figure. "Individually numbered for collectiblility!" Yech!
              sigpic "Only an apostate would flee to the Forbidden Zone"

Comment

• AcroRay
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 17, 2005

They were meant to be played with and to last a reasonable stretch of time for a toy. I don't think manufacturers then (or even now) expect a toy to last more than 12 months of regular play. They certainly didn't intend them to last decades.

They were more durable than most Micronauts, although not as much fun.
                Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

I never had any Black Hole figures as a kid, but had a couple of the similarly made Buck Rogers figures. I played with them a lot and the only problem I ever had was the inevitable broken thumb on one of the figures.

Comment

• Dadioche
                    • Oct 8, 2007

Thanks for all your reactions, guys.
                    My question was not "Were the Black Hole figs collector toys ?" but more "Did you feel the figures were fragile as kids and did you pay attention to them much than to other toys because they were fragile and you liked them ?"
                    As a kid, I loved some of my toys so much that I kept them as complete as I could, even if I played a lot with them.
                    Last edited by Dadioche; Nov 9, '07, 6:39 AM.
                    The Power of the Toy

Comment

• jds1911a1
                      Alan Scott is the best GL
                      • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Dadioche
                      Did you really play with the figures when you were a kid ? Weren't they too fragile ?
                      I had them as a kid (i was 10 i think) and they were actually fairly durable the reall issue in those early figs (gijoe, buck miconauts etc) was the shoulder joint but to be honest since the movie wasn't high action and the heroes had no gear their playability was REALLY limited unless you had extra star wars weapons. back then I pretty much played with all my 3" space figures together

Comment

• Dadioche
                        • Oct 8, 2007

So Han Solo did blast Maximilian !
                        The Power of the Toy

Comment

• megomaniac
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 10, 2006

I still have my Vincent, and despite one of his ball feet breaking off and the paint on his name plate vanishing immediately upon setting him free of the packaging, he's still fine. Vincent had MANY adventures with my Star Wars figures. (I played with all my sci-fi figures as one too)

Comment

• jds1911a1
                            Alan Scott is the best GL
                            • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Dadioche
                            So Han Solo did blast Maximilian !
                            for me often Pizer had the rebel hoth pistol and was blating MAXIMILLIAN I never had the senty to BOB but i had a broken vincent I called bob when I got a replacement.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                              Pat Troughton in disguise
                              • Nov 21, 2007

I had a few of these when I was young and got loads of play value out of them, they lasted many free for all involving trek, wars , tron and hole figures. The paint jobs soon went but I can't remember too many breakages...just many lost accessories.
                              ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎