• Show
Clear All
  • cdhall
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 14, 2004

2cents

I haven't read this whole thread but I have to say:
    1. I think I had Big Jim before I had or even knew of any Megos
    2. The PACK was awesome, the boots left tracks!
    3. I had Big Jim and his Camper, it was Awesome! I think it had a TV and an antenna...?
    4. I still have a Tarzan and a Dr. Steel that I need to sell. I removed Dr. Steel's silver hand, sort of, with Nail Polish Remover as I recall
    5. I had a friend with a Big Jim who loved him, he was a Jock even in 1st Grade...
    6. Only my cousin and I had Megos as I recall
    7. I recall Big Jim suddenly being unavailable and frustrating me, I liked him better than GI Joe because he was more muscly and his hair didn't fall out if it got wet!
    8. Never heard of the Kung Fu Studio! Are there Pix? I'll have to check the commercial links and then log off to work!
    —-
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
    - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
    - Captain Spock
    https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• cdhall
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 14, 2004

Awesome

AWESOME Commercials. I never saw them. I did have Big Jim and Big Josh. I do remember the PACK coming out at the end as someone noted and then it was gone...

Any pix of the rest of the line or the KungFu Studio?

Was that Astronaut thing available in the US? I imagine it was, but it looks like they had many figures. Is there a list or post of the line somewhere to see what was produced?

Thanks for posting!
      —-
      - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

The Kung-Fu Studio is AWESOME! Just loaded with play value, lots of accessories (admittedly, mostly reissued), and it can be configured into several set-ups.

Jeez, I miss playsets...
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cdhall
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          The Kung-Fu Studio is AWESOME! Just loaded with play value, lots of accessories (admittedly, mostly reissued), and it can be configured into several set-ups.

Jeez, I miss playsets...
          I was going to ask for pix and a search found one for sale online at Goodwill!

shopgoodwill.com - #6662153 - 1973 Big Jim Kung Fu Studio Action Figure Playset - 8/30/2010 8:30:00 PM

Found it! Woot!
          Toys You Had Presents Big Jim

I remember having many of those. I'm not going to post a story. But Big Jim was cool. The camper was hard for me to get. it was a big deal to me.

Thanks for reminding me, guys. This is an awesome website with some very cool members.
          —-
          - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• torgospizza
            Theocrat of Pan Tang
            • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by cdhall
            I still have a Tarzan and a Dr. Steel that I need to sell.
            That should be pretty easy for you. I hear Tarzan in particular is somewhat rare. Luckily, I ran across one in a flea market about 15 years ago. Didn't even know they existed until then! Now, he's one of my favorite pieces.

Comment

• cdhall
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 14, 2004

2 boxes of misc

Originally posted by torgospizza
              That should be pretty easy for you. I hear Tarzan in particular is somewhat rare. Luckily, I ran across one in a flea market about 15 years ago. Didn't even know they existed until then! Now, he's one of my favorite pieces.
              I have 2 boxes of "stuff" I need to sell. I wasn't going to mention them here except for Big Jim having this thread. I have been sitting on them for years. If I run across anything that someone here may be interested in I'll post. I cleaned out most of my Megos here about 3yrs ago as I recall...

I'm pretty sure he's Tarzan. I had forgotten about Dr. Steel's chest Tattoo. I remember I had colored it in at one point.
              —-
              - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                Career Member
                • Jul 25, 2010

I still have a Kung Fu Studio that i got when i was a kid. It's missing a couple small accessory pieces (see my want list if anyone can help ). I guess i need to set it up and snap a few pics of it.
                Vintage Toy Rescue
                1614-B N State Hwy 161
                Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• DocDrako
                  Formerly Doc Drako
                  • Nov 11, 2004

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                  ...Apparently Max Steel is a relative of Big Jim...
                  I believe he is as well. I forget where I read it. Maybe Wikipedia.

I always liked Big Jim but my older brother was the one who owned them. I was really into Dr Steel. A bald guy with a big dragon tattoo and a steel hand? The perfect recipe for awesomeness.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• cdhall
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 14, 2004

Well put

Originally posted by DocDrako
                    I believe he is as well. I forget where I read it. Maybe Wikipedia.

I always liked Big Jim but my older brother was the one who owned them. I was really into Dr Steel. A bald guy with a big dragon tattoo and a steel hand? The perfect recipe for awesomeness.

Perfect recipe!
                    —-
                    - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

One thing that struck me in rereading this thread (and being rather pleased with myself, I admit), is how many have pined for a Mattel re-issue of Big Jim.

I would love this, but I suspect the price point is too high. Maybe for Matty Collector?

Perhaps Mattel feels burned after Retro-Action. (Although we should!) I realize Max steel was a kind of reinvention of Big Jim.

Is BJ tooling even extant? I'm very surprised Mattel has't re-used their BJ/Steel tooling in relation to DC or MOTU properties.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ironman1188
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 11, 2007

I would rather see him reissued in 1:6 so that he could now accompany those figures that he once competed with. A remaking of him similar to what Captain Action has recently done. A more articulate, more durable body would be beneficial to Big Jim. Perhaps using their Superman body?
                        Bugler, sound the advance.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

If they go that route, which would be practical but admittedly kill the nostalgia sales, I think they should use the Max Steel 12" tooling,which was kind of BJ: next-gen anyway.

I have not opened my Superman figures to compare body styles.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                            Still Old School
                            • Feb 14, 2008

Retro-Action Big Jim would be AWESOME!
                            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• ironman1188
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 11, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              If they go that route, which would be practical but admittedly kill the nostalgia sales, I think they should use the Max Steel 12" tooling,which was kind of BJ: next-gen anyway.

I have not opened my Superman figures to compare body styles.
                              Max Steel was fine for its time but body styles have advanced way past what was used for him.
                              As far as nostaklgia? It wouldn't necessarily kill that off. Quite the opposite if they promoted it properly. A 10 inch figure doesn't fit in any collection. Its too big for mego and too small for 1:6 collectors. A new body, geared to accompany ones other action figures, may actually help keep the line around longer than it lasted originally (at least here in the states).
                              I've seen a few 1:6 customs recently of the Big Jim line and it certainly does show it good translate well.
                              Bugler, sound the advance.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎