X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlipperyLilSuckers
    MeGoing
    • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I remember being impressed with Dr. Steel as a kid. I think that was the first time I had seen a chromed item; I thought he was a villain.
    I think Dr Steel was originally marketed as a villain and then he became a good guy with PACK. I may be wrong, but that is my recollection from 1971.

Comment

• jquest
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 19, 2007

I wish Big Jim was still around, I think it would have made a Great base for a Custom Thor Figure! a Little taller than the Mego with just as Good articulation!

Comment

• Texastoyz
        • Jul 14, 2010

I personally didn't have any experience with Big Jim until the early 80's. A friend of mine had a couple. We'd play with them, but he had all of his stuff in a big storage shed outside, including the Big Jim's. By that time his arms started to feel sticky, like how old Barbie's legs felt. It was kind of gross. If I remember as much, the Joe's we were playing with, PH and AT would generally kill them.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
          I think Dr Steel was originally marketed as a villain and then he became a good guy with PACK. I may be wrong, but that is my recollection from 1971.
          I think you're right. I bought my Dr. Steel in the pre-P.A.C.K. days and if I remember correctly, the TV commercials portrayed him more as an adversary, or at least some sort of anti-hero. I thought he was pretty kick butt. My interest in the line definitely increased when Big Jim moved away from sports and more into this kind of stuff. Dr. Steel was the first step in a great direction IMO.

Comment

• LadyZod
            Superman's Gal Pal
            • Jan 27, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
            I think the first time I saw Big Jim/Big Jack was in the Ice Follies program. Mattel had taken out a full page ad and I was drawn to those 2 figures. A year later, I got Jack. I found Jeff and Dr. Steel (whom I called Iron Hand, 'cos I didn't know who he was). Now I have a whole collection of guys, accessories, along w/ the camper and tent. I've never been much for PACK, but I do love the adventure aspect of these figures.
            I think I prefer the adventuring aspect of Big Jim too.

I also love how perfectly he fits into Barbie stuff. Makes getting them sweet sports cars easier. (Althought, Lazervette, and Barbie's pink stingray vette... same mold, different colors)
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
            Check out my art:
            Art Portfolio@Redbubble
            Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• captact
              King of Super Queens!
              • Aug 19, 2007

Check out these Big Jim Commercials,........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tx50...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlZJBhUqGW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gas0...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8zT1gYdN2Y&NR=1

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                Career Member
                • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                Good to know your opinion. You're off my Christmas list...
                No, no..... there is absolutley nothing wrong with it. I was referencing the fact that my Big Jim was wearing Joe's clothes...... and that may be considered by some to be a little gay....... nevermind. I apologize..... certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I thought this thread was all in good fun, apparently is was a little more serious than i thought. I'll shut up now and crawl back into my hole.
                Vintage Toy Rescue
                1614-B N State Hwy 161
                Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• kennermike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 4, 2007

man what happend to this Big Jim Thread it got derailed?

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                    MeGoing
                    • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by Fire Marshal Bill
                    No, no..... there is absolutley nothing wrong with it. I was referencing the fact that my Big Jim was wearing Joe's clothes...... and that may be considered by some to be a little gay....... nevermind. I apologize..... certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I thought this thread was all in good fun, apparently is was a little more serious than i thought. I'll shut up now and crawl back into my hole.
                    Okay thanks for that

Comment

• Big Jim of Georgia
                      • Jan 21, 2011

I too wondered why Jim died off wa before in the states before the European market. It was only recent that I learned that Jim was huge over seas. Looking at Ebay German, there are people who deal only in Bi jim and friends. In the 70s I had and still have Big Jim, Josh, Jack and J alng with the camper, jungle truck, rescue rig, tent, dirt bike, eagle, dune buggy and safari hut. I had Jim, GI Joe and the Bionic Man as a kid. I prefered and played with the Big Js for many years. I never got into the P.A.C.K. version but by then I was out growing them. My youngest brother was big into the Star Wars toys in the 70s and 80s and had tons of them. However, he often played with my old Big Jims. He liked the Jims due to the artuculation of the arms and legs. When my son was old enough, I bought him the Joes. You can bet that if the Big Jims was still available, he would not have seen many Joes. Today my two nephews love playing with them, supervised of course. I would love to see a special edition of Big Jim and his
                      crew come out.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>I too wondered why Jim died off wa before in the states before the European market.

It does seem weird, considering how many folks had them as kids. He must have been INSANELY popular.... for a while, anyhoo. It might have been timing: by the mid-70's sci-fi type stuff was getting popular.... punctuated by a certain move.... and the more down to earth stuff may have gone by the wayside. Hence the P.A.C.K.; an attempt to rebrand the line to fit the new template. I know as a kid my interest was kinda lax. I was more into the Apes and monsters; although I coveted a Lazervette like nobody's business....

....and to take things down another odd track: didja notice Big Jim and Justin Bieber both have the same haircut?

Don C.

Comment

• Mr.Krusher
                          Banned
                          • Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, those P.A.C.K. figures and goodies are more up my alley than say, the 'lets go camping in our Speedos' sets. (I have the Baja Beast truck and camper! )
                          On ANY given day I would reach for comic book notions and genetically altered villians over 'athletic all-American guy/Ken doll'

CTC - Hmmmm...I MUST crack this ancestry riddle....I GOT it - its so CLEAR now - Max is Jim's son, and Justin his daughter! Its so EVIDENT now that Justin IS the product of Jim and Sandy Duncan....just check the facial features! Oh Jim, you latex-armed DEVIL you! The jig is UP Big Jim! ...Or should I say, Jim Bieber!!

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>those P.A.C.K. figures and goodies are more up my alley than say, the 'lets go camping in our Speedos' sets.

During the early 70's there were lots of sets featuring normal folks doing normal stuff (like the adventure People, Playmobil, the Boy Scouts figures) but all of a sudden they went all sci-fi. Jim didn't seem to make the transition so good.

>you latex-armed DEVIL you!

That could be another problem right there; a LOT of manufacturing went into Big Jom, so's it owuld be tough to cut production costs without looking cheap.

Don C.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                              Persistent Member
                              • Oct 3, 2007

I had to chime in here. I can tell you reguarding my own experience why Big Jim tanked. I had a Big Jim when I was a kid. When I got him out of the packaging. I had the action figure in orange pevis/briefs a single dumbbell and a wristband to show off his muscle flex ability. Nothing else. At the time this figure cost big bucks, as much or more than GI Joe or others in my area. Those figures came clothed and ready to play. You figure you just got your folks to spring for the toy now you have to beg again to cloth the figure just so you can go play. It was no mystery that my friends went with the more economical toys. I was the only one who had a Big Jim. My Adventure team Joe at least had an outfit and was good to go right out of the box. That is probably why my play circle leaned towards Joes. Later a Six Million Dollar man was our favorite play toy.
                              Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                              MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 10, 2006

As a kid i never had or really had much intrest in Big Jim and non of my friends had em i was more in to GI-JOE and MEGO superheroes STAR TREK and planet of the apes so BIG JIM never made my have to have until the PACK came out which looked neat but i never got one
                                I have no idea why the line was canceled my guess is high cost to make and lagging sales and recieved the same fate as GI-JOE
                                Perhaps MATTEL will do a repro for WAL-MART of BIG JIM PACK

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎