Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

Interesting note about the Max Steel/Big Jim connection I noticed while looking at my Big Jims the other day...

In spanish speaking countries, Big Jim was sold as Kid Acero.

Acero literally translates to english as ... STEEL.

Coincidence?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Except in this case it's entirely correct. Jim's cameos in the series were a nice knod from Mattel and one they admitted was on purpose when the series was new.
      THANK YOU! I think I read about the Jim/Max connection in Tomart's or something (although Tomart's is not exactly noted for their accuracy). And my son was catching a rerun on Cartoon Network one day, and I'm pretty sure Jim was on there.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Regarding "gay" toys, I'll chime in--I have no problem being the token happy fella here:

Toys (and other aspects of culture/pop culture) are gay to the extent that gay people adopt, embrace, & appreciate them. Big Jim, Barbie, even MOTU can all be "gay" if we decide they are.

There's no doubt that, viewed from an adult gay perspective, Big Jim can be seen as "gay"--it's a handsome figure, and has that '70s clone look that became popular in the early years of gay liberation.

Mattel certainly conceived the line as an all-American adventure line. My appreciation of the line for other reasons (camp humour, irony, aesthetics) has nothing to do with that and does not detract from it.

Oddly enough, many straight GI Joe collectors disparage Big Jim because he seems "gay." Where do they get this, if the fig doesn't suggest some stereotypes?

Just recently started collecting Big Jim, btw . As a kid, it was all Mego and Star Wars.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 19, '11, 4:27 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
          MeGoing
          • May 14, 2003

^ Good onya Scott...I'm sure you will enjoy collecting them, they have fun accessories and such an array of stuff available, I had to stop myself and remember that my Mego obsession takes up enough of my house already...

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by LadyZod
            Interesting note about the Max Steel/Big Jim connection I noticed while looking at my Big Jims the other day...

In spanish speaking countries, Big Jim was sold as Kid Acero.

Acero literally translates to english as ... STEEL.

Coincidence?
            Now that is interesting...and interesting coincidence that you looked up the meaning of Acero just now too...the world sure is a funny place.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

I only had a few Big Jims as a kid, I didn't care so much about the athletic/sports versions, but I loved the P.A.C.K. ones. But I'm most fascinated by the directions Mattel took with them in Europe (Sci-fi, James Bond, Pirates) and Cipsa did in Mexico (Invisible Man, Bionic Man, aliens, etc). One day, I'd really like to start collecting those versions (yeah, like I need yet another toy line to collect!)

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>I label those adults who do that as pure idiots.

Well.... I think you have to accept that kids and grownups see things differently. It’s not necessarily cynicism, over-reacting, paranoia (although sometimes it is) it’s just that we develop different expectations and conclusions as we age based on experience and the like. I’ve seen some Big Jim ads (mostly featuring camping) that make me giggle ‘cos I can TOTALLY see it being “gay.” But I don’t put much stock in it beyond that: they’re done with a certain openness, innocence and syrupy buddy-buddy kind of vibe that would register with kids but seem odd to an adult. Brought about, doubtless by the ads being aimed JUST at kids with no consideration as to how they’d be taken by a 40 year old, 30 years after the fact.

Kinda like how I’ve wondered for the last 20 years where Casper the Friendly Dead Kid is buried.

>even MOTU can all be "gay" if we decide they are

Pageboy haircut and them abs with a torso harness? Hmmmm....

Don C.

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jan 17, 2011

As someone who was a kid when Big Jim first came out ( no pun intended ) I had ( still have ) quite a bit of Big Jim stuff. The concept of him being "gay" wasn't even thought about back then, he was a sports figure and then an outdoor camping/hunting figure. Maybe some back then thought about a toy being gay but it really wasn't an issue for most of us. Until I read this thread I never even thought about it. I think it's more a reflecton of the current times that we look at something from the past and read into it by todays point of view. I remember watching "The Lord of the Rings" movies and thinking that Frodo & Sam seemed overly friendly but I think that's how our world view has changed not the meaning or intent of the original object involved.
                  My 2 cents.

Comment

• LadyZod
                    Superman's Gal Pal
                    • Jan 27, 2007

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                    Now that is interesting...and interesting coincidence that you looked up the meaning of Acero just now too...the world sure is a funny place.
                    I speak spanish... it just never occurred to me to make that connection until the whole Max Steel thing came up again.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                    Check out my art:
                    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Mr.Krusher
                      Banned
                      • Oct 25, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Regarding "gay" toys, I'll chime in--I have no problem being the token happy fella here:

Toys (and other aspects of culture/pop culture) are gay to the extent that gay people adopt, embrace, & appreciate them. Big Jim, Barbie, even MOTU can all be "gay" if we decide they are.

There's no doubt that, viewed from an adult gay perspective, Big Jim can be seen as "gay"--it's a handsome figure, and has that '70s clone look that became popular in the early years of gay liberation.

Mattel certainly conceived the line as an all-American adventure line. My appreciation of the line for other reasons (camp humour, irony, aesthetics) has nothing to do with that and does not detract from it.

Oddly enough, many straight GI Joe collectors disparage Big Jim because he seems "gay." Where do they get this, if the fig doesn't suggest some stereotypes?

Just recently started collecting Big Jim, btw . As a kid, it was all Mego and Star Wars.
                      ^ Well said, sir. But wait..."token happy fella" - ?? Surely on a site dedicated to collecting DOLLS you are not...meh...I'll skip it, dont want to step on anyone's toes...or anything else!

Judging solely by what I absorb and experience personally, I can tell you that YES, both Big Jim and Masters of the Universe have a HUGE gay following...and we wont even talk about She-Ra... Its not so much 'labeling' a property/toy, that often has negative connotations, its more of a 'being aware' sort of thing....

I KNOW how Big Jim and his buddies were (probably?) INTENDED to be received, "mom, apple pies, and lets go camping", but let me tell you, I spent many years of my life in and around NYC, and have partaken in many aspects of the endless cultures and I will say this from the heart - In certain company, whipping out a Big Jim doll will elicit much more of a John Waters response than a Ward Cleaver one....I'm just saying...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

^Yeah, well "being aware" here can get you labelled a "fool" & an "idiot."

Btw, not upset, just bemused/amused.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

I think the first time I saw Big Jim/Big Jack was in the Ice Follies program. Mattel had taken out a full page ad and I was drawn to those 2 figures. A year later, I got Jack. I found Jeff and Dr. Steel (whom I called Iron Hand, 'cos I didn't know who he was). Now I have a whole collection of guys, accessories, along w/ the camper and tent. I've never been much for PACK, but I do love the adventure aspect of these figures.
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by magyar1964
                            As someone who was a kid when Big Jim first came out ( no pun intended ) I had ( still have ) quite a bit of Big Jim stuff. The concept of him being "gay" wasn't even thought about back then, he was a sports figure and then an outdoor camping/hunting figure. Maybe some back then thought about a toy being gay but it really wasn't an issue for most of us. Until I read this thread I never even thought about it. I think it's more a reflecton of the current times that we look at something from the past and read into it by todays point of view. I remember watching "The Lord of the Rings" movies and thinking that Frodo & Sam seemed overly friendly but I think that's how our world view has changed not the meaning or intent of the original object involved.
                            My 2 cents.
                            Well said, until this thread it had never even crossed my mind. I don't know about everyone else's Big Jim, but mine wasn't gay.... not that there's anything wrong with that . Well, maybe a little.... i think he's wearing GI Joe's clothes here .

Vintage Toy Rescue
                            1614-B N State Hwy 161
                            Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                            (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                              ... Dr. Steel (whom I called Iron Hand, 'cos I didn't know who he was). Now I have a whole collection of guys, accessories, along w/ the camper and tent. I've never been much for PACK, but I do love the adventure aspect of these figures.
                              I remember being impressed with Dr. Steel as a kid. I think that was the first time I had seen a chromed item; I thought he was a villain.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                                MeGoing
                                • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by Fire Marshal Bill
                                Well said, until this thread it had never even crossed my mind. I don't know about everyone else's Big Jim, but mine wasn't gay.... not that there's anything wrong with that . Well, maybe a little....
                                Good to know your opinion. You're off my Christmas list...
                                Last edited by SlipperyLilSuckers; Feb 21, '11, 6:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎