X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Is Frankenstein a zombie ?

Something i've always wondered, is Frankenstein considered a zombie ?

Seems like an obvious answer, but I never hear Frankie and Zombie in the same sentence

Sometimes I hear people refer to Frankie as an "android"
    Last edited by Mikey; Feb 2, '11, 11:24 AM.
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

No. I see the two entirely different. By most modern day concepts, zombies are persons afflicted with a disease that kills them, but keeps their bodies animated after death. The Frankenstein monster lives, but was created from the parts of people who just died. He must breath like a normal person and would be mortally wounded if someone chopped his arm off and left him to bleed to death. A Zombie will just keep coming.
    Last edited by MIB41; Feb 2, '11, 1:53 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Frankenstein's monster, in my opnion, is not a really Zombie (he isn't dead or undead and doesn't eat brains) or a Android (he is not a machine). Frankie is closer to a Golem. In Dungeons and Dragons creatures like Frank are called Flesh Golems.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mr.Krusher
        Banned
        • Oct 25, 2010

MIB41 and Werewolf - I agree with you both, except for the "arm coming off/mortally wounded" aspect... I believe that a 'creation' like Frankenstein (Golem, constructed being, etc.) could be saved from bleeding-out via surgeries or modifications. I see Frank as a less durable Solomon Grundy - Sure, he CAN be hurt/amputated, but he is so sturdy that he can withstand massive amounts of surgery and repairs, FAR more than any 'normal' human. (Long falls, long periods underwater, fire/chemical damage, firearms, etc..)

Just my three cents.

Comment

• wolfie
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 31, 2007

Frankenstein is not a zombie, he's a doctor.

Comment

• z3zep
            The Girl Next Door
            • Sep 30, 2006

Originally posted by wolfie
            Frankenstein is not a zombie, he's a doctor.

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by MIB41
              No. I see the two entirely different. By most modern day concepts, zombies are persons afflicted with a disease that kills them, but keeps their bodies animated after death. The Frankenstein monster lives, but was created from the parts of people who just died. He must breath like a normal person and would be mortally wounded if someone chopped his arm off and left him to bleed to death. A Zombie will just keep coming.
              Bingo
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

The monster (or creature, if you prefer) isn't a zombie. He was assembled from several corpses, and reanimated. Now if Dr. Frankenstein had just reanimated one whole body, then we may have more of a case for a zombie.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Yeah - I think Frankenstein's Monster is an artificial creation made with human remains - as oppose to just being a reanimated corpse, like a zombie.

If you haven't read the original book, you should - it's really cool! Gives you a whole new outlook on how the story evolved in popular culture too.

Comment

• jimsmegos
                    Mego Dork
                    • Nov 9, 2008

Frankenstein's monster also has free will. Zombies and android's don't.

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by jimsmegos
                      Frankenstein's monster also has free will. Zombies and android's don't.
                      Another good point - especially if you read the book. The Monster isn't really a mindless drone the way he's portrayed in the movies. Actually, even in the movies he's not mindless, he's just child-like because basically he IS a child.

Metaphysically speaking, I think The Monster has a tortured soul, because he was made by unnatural (or even evil) means. Where as Zombies have no soul.
                      Last edited by Brazoo; Feb 2, '11, 5:56 PM.

Comment

• torgospizza
                        Theocrat of Pan Tang
                        • Aug 19, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4C_eNWdwM

^ Addresses this very argument. Fun stuff!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

Frankenstein isn't a zombie....He's Electric Bugaloo
                          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Wise4671
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11, 2007

not to mention Frankenstien's "Monster" didnt eat people

Comment

• babycyclops
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 9, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              Frankenstein's monster, in my opnion, is not a really Zombie (he isn't dead or undead and doesn't eat brains) or a Android (he is not a machine). Frankie is closer to a Golem. In Dungeons and Dragons creatures like Frank are called Flesh Golems.
                              Agree! The monster is a Golem, a human figure brought to life, or animated. He can't be a zombie because he was never alive in the first place... well, bits of him were, but as a whole he wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎